Quantcast

2006 Banshee

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
First, I could have sworn I saw a thread on this topic, but I could not find it again, and I tried the search feature. Sorry if this is a duplicate.

More importantly:

Wow!

I was just checking out the 2006 Banshee website http://www.bansheebikes.com/index.php. That stuff looks NOICE :drool: :drool: :drool:

I am loving the new Chappy

Since I could not find anything in the search engine, can anybody tell me anything about the 2006 stuff from personal experience?

What is up with the linkage? http://www.bansheebikes.com/news/details.php?recordID=3

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
yeah, I saw that yesterday. Notice how they refer to Turner as faux-bar? So wierd to see that associated with Turner after all these years.
The chap does look sweet!

With 2 years in development and countless hours studing various suspension designs we took the time to understand the qualities that make them excel in certain areas and fail in others, we're proud to introduce the results of this exhaustive work - Banshee's Virtual Floating 4-Bar System [VF4B]. The Pyre, which is Banshee's premier all-mountain bike, will be the first platform to use this 4-bar system. The goal was to create a system that took advantage of many of the virtual pivot benefits, but addressed the issues that can plaque these suspension designs if not executed to mitigate these intrinsic traits. I feel I should digress, to explain my synonomous use of "4-bar" and "virtual pivot". Technically they are the exact same thing, with the difference being the length of the "bars" and the location of their respective pivots. Rather then go into further detail as it's a subject that goes beyond the scope of this news item, I would encourage those of you who are inclined, to read some of the great information available online specific to bicycle suspension. I have read many opinions in forums, and on other sites which illustrate the misinformation that is circulating and if you really want to know what it's all about there are resources available to you. Anyway... 4-bars [aka virtual pivots]can have issues because of the nature of the design. A pivot between the main pivot and the axle[rear wheel]not executed in design properly can cause the backend to feel squirrely and make it hard for the rear wheel to track precisely [most notable on burms and wall rides]. A good execution is the Demo 9 as it eliminates this by triangulating the chainstay before the pivot[horst link] and after the pivot where the rear wheel attaches. If we look at single pivots, Turner 4bars [aka faux-bar], 4bars, and VP designs each has its advantages and disadvantages and it really is a matter of tradeoffs. You must also understand that a poorly designed VP bike will perform worse then a well designed single pivot, again it's all a matter of execution. So, why did Banshee create the VF4B virtual suspension system you may ask... well to put it simply, it gives our designers more flexibility to design in the most advantageous traits, as there are many more things we can "screw" with to dial in the ride. To illustrate this lets take for example a single pivot vs. a faux-bar. Some would say they are the same thing, but the faux-bar has another degree of flexibility over the single pivot because you can adjust the leverage ratio over the shock [Did you know the Scream actually has a decreasing leverage ratio over the length of the travel, thus reducing the chances of blowing up a shock - that's good execution in design]. With a VP design, you have many more degrees of flexibility then in any other type of suspension design, and the goal is to make sure you don't "screw" it up! The VF4B is a system that takes into account more then just the pivot locations [although they have been engineered to give an optimal axle path, rising rate, etc.] it also includes the internally ribbed seatstays and chainstays, the needle bearings in the main pivots and rocker pivots, as well as a robust forged shackle... the goal is to make it stiff in the backend, eliminating any flex that can sometimes be associated with these designs, yet benefit from the ability to get all the best traits in one package. If you take anything with you from this news item, remember all single pivots are not the same, just as all virtual pivots are not the same it's how it's executed. Get out there and try as many bikes as you can, don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see, and lastly the best you know is the best you've ridden... try the VF4B... trust me you won't be dissappointed.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
caboverpete said:
Check out the steering tubes on the complete bike pics... holy spacers!!!
the "phantom" thread i cannot find (maybe it is on another board) indicated that those bikes were probably just built up for the photo shoot and would be pulled apart for sale at a later date. as such, the did not want to cut the steer tube.

mandown said:
the "phanto" thread i cannot find (maybe it is on another board) indicated that those bikes were probably just built up for the photo shoot and would be pulled apart for sale at a later date. as such, the did not want to cut the steer tube.
I gathered that... although it really isnt putting their best foot forward.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
is it smart to put dc fork on morphine i mean 66rc or something with single crown will be much better..

freeride and dirt jump morphineare same bikes with dc fork, i mean dc fork on dirt jump bike, little stupid ?! :dead:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
good, another DC on an HT arguement. have not seen one of those in... 5 minutes.

yeah it is silly. it is fun, but still silly.

i did it on my frame for a few weeks (DC shiver on a norco 5 hun). it took some time to get the feel of it. it was fun for downhill and trail riding. however, it sucked for jumping and urban. i don't jump much, but i could not even get the bike off the ground. the fork swallowed the jumps. i can jump my BB7 with that fork though. i just never got the feel for where to compress on the HT to make it work. it was much more balanced compressing into the lip of the jump on the full sus.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
hey dher. ill buy your shiv then. i want a black one. also am i the only one that noticed the outrageously overly complicated terms for things on there site? like in the descriptions of the frames and such? its worse than the rest of the bike industry

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
lovebunny said:
hey dher. ill buy your shiv then. i want a black one. also am i the only one that noticed the outrageously overly complicated terms for things on there site? like in the descriptions of the frames and such? its worse than the rest of the bike industry
could not disagree more. the layout is great. no flash. tabs for the info (like in Excel). works great for me. the format and color scheme looks great.