Quantcast

2006 Boxxer internals in 2005 Boxxer

cogs

Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Does anyone know if the 2006 internals will work in the 05 Boxxers?

If so, what components?

Can you turn a 05 World Cup into a 06 Air?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
id wait and see, maybe the stanchions are different, theyre cheaper than before so better to be patient, ill post an autopsy again the minute i get my hands and tools on one

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
vitox said:
id wait and see, maybe the stanchions are different, theyre cheaper than before so better to be patient, ill post an autopsy again the minute i get my hands and tools on one
You know the prices? Care to enlighten?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Alright vitox, what about this...

Taking an 05 Boxxer Team, taking the spring out of one side, replacing the other side with an x-tra stiff spring (ideally Ti), shoving an air valve in the emtpy spring side and increasing air pressure.

Didn't someone here do that? I seem to remember someone trying it.

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
i'm working on making a duel air cartridge for boxxers, it should work in all 03 to 05 forks, and it might work in the older ones too.

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
atb said:
i'm working on making a duel air cartridge for boxxers, it should work in all 03 to 05 forks, and it might work in the older ones too.
well keep us informed. that sounds sweet.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ChrisRobin said:
Alright vitox, what about this...

Taking an 05 Boxxer Team, taking the spring out of one side, replacing the other side with an x-tra stiff spring (ideally Ti), shoving an air valve in the emtpy spring side and increasing air pressure.

Didn't someone here do that? I seem to remember someone trying it.

ive done it plenty of times, just dont overdo the air pressure or youll quickly loose sag and the fork will feel harsh.

in numbers:
stock boxxer comes with 20lbs/in each side (yellow springs), for a light rider you will many times change to 10lbs/20lbs (white/yellow) for a total of 30lbs/in.

one red spring is 25lbs, so you can successfully replace those 5lbs/in with air.

if your two sided spring setup is one yellow and one silver, for a total of 35lbs/in you can try but normally results arent that appealing.

remember to use the spring with as few preload spacers as possible

oh and , the air cap you will need is the one off of a duke. not sure about the rebas, might fit.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
.:Jeenyus:. said:
You know the prices? Care to enlighten?

no i dont really know anything about the new ones, i just meant that the new style boxxer stanchion, the straight wall made in taiwan, is a lot cheaper at around 100usd retail instead of close to 200usd retail as the older butted made in the us stanchion costed.

i was just speculating that if the innards of the 06 forks truly arent compatible with the 05 forks, that would mean that the stanchions would have to be different.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
vitox said:
ive done it plenty of times, just dont overdo the air pressure or youll quickly loose sag and the fork will feel harsh.

in numbers:
stock boxxer comes with 20lbs/in each side (yellow springs), for a light rider you will many times change to 10lbs/20lbs (white/yellow) for a total of 30lbs/in.

one red spring is 25lbs, so you can successfully replace those 5lbs/in with air.

if your two sided spring setup is one yellow and one silver, for a total of 35lbs/in you can try but normally results arent that appealing.

remember to use the spring with as few preload spacers as possible

oh and , the air cap you will need is the one off of a duke. not sure about the rebas, might fit.
Hmmm...interesting. I'd probably be running a red spring in one leg and a yellow in the other if I were to use both springs. I wonder if there are Marzocchi springs or even Stratos fork springs that are heavier so I can run a single spring...ahh but I just remembered to really save weight it would have to be some sort of extra stiff Ti spring to make a real difference. Otherwise it would really be worth it.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
chris

im not sure if they would work but marzo dj`s are sprung way stiff, maybe if one of those have a onesided spring setup it could work, otherwise marzocchi doesnt make a spring that stiff.

your best bet is to try a stiff sherman spring, ive had success with the firm ti spring on the sherman firefly, try that one its a winner.

other fork springs ive tried, WB: no go, sherman medium: no go, dorado xworks: no go

stratos has some very stiff springs in the s8, the shorter ones, and also some other, actually im looking at a stratos spring table (from 2001) and there are some interesting springs in there

red s8 spring, has 3,25" travel and a rate of 45
black s7 spring found in 42 and 52 rate, 3,5 and 3" travel respectively

happy modding

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
I got it straight from the horses mouth, contacted R.S. upgrading my 05 soon to have a Mojo Boxcart :thumb:
But I thought about going with the 06 internals and R.S. said no :nope:

Want prices Universal all ready has them up on their websiteLOOK HERE

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
deweydude said:
I got it straight from the horses mouth, contacted R.S. upgrading my 05 soon to have a Mojo Boxcart :thumb:
But I thought about going with the 06 internals and R.S. said no :nope:

Want prices Universal all ready has them up on their websiteLOOK HERE
Thank you!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
no help on those models for you guys above, but: i've got an 05 Boxxer Ride, i asked via e-mail about fitting the new 06 model Motion Control damper stuff into. RS/SRAM replied it would work, but couldn't tell me about cost or when available.

MCD and 133mm to 178mm adjustable travel for climbing, only thing i'd be missing from the 06 would be the Maxle, which i can live without on that fork, though i *love* it on the Pike on my hardtail

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
scrublover said:
no help on those models for you guys above, but: i've got an 05 Boxxer Ride, i asked via e-mail about fitting the new 06 model Motion Control damper stuff into. RS/SRAM replied it would work, but couldn't tell me about cost or when available.

MCD and 133mm to 178mm adjustable travel for climbing, only thing i'd be missing from the 06 would be the Maxle, which i can live without on that fork, though i *love* it on the Pike on my hardtail

that should mean the 05 team and wc can be retrofit too, great stuff.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Salami said:
According to Sram's site, they are the same for the 05/06 Race/Team but have been changed for the 06 W.C. The parts list says the new legs are reguired for the Solo Air assembly.

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/rockshox/dealers/03-06Boxxers.pdf

cool, i havent seen the thing but it would make sense, sids for instance have a thread in the bottom instead of a clip like boxxers, that could be a reason.

2wlsdh

Chimp
Aug 4, 2005
YES, you can turn an 05 Boxxer (anything) Ride, Race, Team or WC into a 06 WC. You would have to purchase the new WC Honed Uppertubes, which are still made at Easton, and all the internals. MC, new Rebound Damper and Solo Air system, which is way better than the MoCo Cart. I have been able to ride both. The new Solo Air is like none other.
Also, all the modles for 06 will have a Maxle system:
Ride - QR Maxle - like Pike
Race, Team & WC - DH Maxle. This system only needs a 6mm allen on both sides. One side tightens the Axle, the other side expands the wedges. This allows you to remove your front tire within seconds. It's super clean and completely diff from all other thru axle systems.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
2wlsdh said:
YES, you can turn an 05 Boxxer (anything) Ride, Race, Team or WC into a 06 WC. You would have to purchase the new WC Honed Uppertubes, which are still made at Easton, and all the internals. MC, new Rebound Damper and Solo Air system, which is way better than the MoCo Cart. I have been able to ride both. The new Solo Air is like none other.
Also, all the modles for 06 will have a Maxle system:
Ride - QR Maxle - like Pike
Race, Team & WC - DH Maxle. This system only needs a 6mm allen on both sides. One side tightens the Axle, the other side expands the wedges. This allows you to remove your front tire within seconds. It's super clean and completely diff from all other thru axle systems.

hi i just finished looking at the exploded views and came to the conclusion that you are saying, save for the fact that i cant see the need for purchasing the new honed upper tubes, not for compatibility at least, as from what i can see, the internals of the team 06 and wc 06 damper are the same, and it actually says the honed legs are compatible with other years wc fors

i think we can say that you can upgrade anything to anything with 05 and 06 boxxers

also, why do you say that the 06 soloair is way better than the motion control? i mean, one is a damper the other is a spring?

2wlsdh

Chimp
Aug 4, 2005
vitox said:
hi i just finished looking at the exploded views and came to the conclusion that you are saying, save for the fact that i cant see the need for purchasing the new honed upper tubes, not for compatibility at least, as from what i can see, the internals of the team 06 and wc 06 damper are the same, and it actually says the honed legs are compatible with other years wc fors

i think we can say that you can upgrade anything to anything with 05 and 06 boxxers

also, why do you say that the 06 soloair is way better than the motion control? i mean, one is a damper the other is a spring?
You are corrent that the "envelope" of the upper tubes are the same, compatable, from Ride ~ WC, but you do need the Easton Honed tube only for WC because of the Solo Air springs' sealing surface.

Yes the MoCo is the same for WC, Team & Ride. Race, has MoCo Fixed, (No Gate Adjust) but does have external low speed. Entry level racing I guess....

Solo Air way better than MoCo Cart, I mixed with the MoJo or whatever that cartridge system is....I've riden both and that system is way off the back end compared to where tech is today.
Buy the new Decline Mag. It has an artical on the WC.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
LukeD said:
so basically i can turn my '05 boxxer WC into an air '06 WC? is that pretty much the final conclusion?

youd need new guts and at least (two if you want the stanchions to be the same color) one new stanchion thats the final conclusion, might be cheaper to just sell and buy new because if that honed stanchion costs as much as the taperwall version did, then youd be looking at 180usd ish retail plus probably 300ish retail for the guts and youd still not have maxle.

2wlsdh

Chimp
Aug 4, 2005
vitox said:
okai so the abrasiveness of the inner stanchion surface is the problem, great thank you for that tip.

welcome to the monkey btw!
Exactly! Only the Air Spring would need the Honed UT. Not sure what the cost is, but it should be less than the older taperwall. Prices for kits should be out soon..

Thanks for the Welcome btw!

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Funny, I met some guy on the weekend claiming he had to 2005 fork with the 06 internals...hmmmmm...maybe I have the fork mixed up but the years are dead on...if I see him again I will ask

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Roasted said:
Funny, I met some guy on the weekend claiming he had to 2005 fork with the 06 internals...hmmmmm...maybe I have the fork mixed up but the years are dead on...if I see him again I will ask
He could have 06 Team internals in an 05 Race/Team/WC.

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
2wlsdh said:
Exactly! Only the Air Spring would need the Honed UT. Not sure what the cost is, but it should be less than the older taperwall. Prices for kits should be out soon..

Thanks for the Welcome btw!
What's about to hand polish a '05 stanchion to become a WC-ish honed?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
vitox said:
chris

im not sure if they would work but marzo dj`s are sprung way stiff, maybe if one of those have a onesided spring setup it could work, otherwise marzocchi doesnt make a spring that stiff.

your best bet is to try a stiff sherman spring, ive had success with the firm ti spring on the sherman firefly, try that one its a winner.

other fork springs ive tried, WB: no go, sherman medium: no go, dorado xworks: no go

stratos has some very stiff springs in the s8, the shorter ones, and also some other, actually im looking at a stratos spring table (from 2001) and there are some interesting springs in there

red s8 spring, has 3,25" travel and a rate of 45
black s7 spring found in 42 and 52 rate, 3,5 and 3" travel respectively

happy modding
So a heavy Sherman spring will work? Can you get it in Ti? Is there any modding required for a 2005 Boxxer Ride?

Also, how much weight would I save by doing that? My concern is messing with the U-Turn system but it may work...