Quantcast

2006 Boxxer Ride Oil Splooging

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
whats up peps
so I was at diablo a couple weeks ago and noticed oil coming out of my left leg seal. as stupid as I was, ive ignored it for a while, and also went to diablo again with the seal blown. ( is it me or did my fork feel a tad more plush? :confused: )
I am assuming its blown because my rebound is gone(the rebound knob is on the left leg when sitting on a bike right?) what tools would i need to properly disassemble ( i would imagine i have most of them, except for that C-ring spreader) and new parts would i need to purchase?
thanks a bunch
p.s here is a pic of my bike for sh1ts and giggles. once i get $ i am getting a 5.0 or somethin

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
If the Ride is the same layout as the Team, which I think it is, the rebound and compression damper is in the right leg (as viewed from sitting on the bike) and the spring is in the left leg. The damping oil is contained in the stanchion of the right leg and the only oil in the lower is for lubrication. If the damper is not leaking then the oil that is coming out of your seal will be the lubrication oil not the damping oil. There is good info on here about caring for your fork.

You really shouldn't need any special tools except maybe circlip pliers which shouldn't be too expensive.

Go to Pushindustries.com and check their support files. There are some good documents to tear down and service the Boxxer and it's a good chance to put in their new rebound valve.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
to be honest, i would rather not bring my fork to a LBS because money is very tight for me right now, and i also am aware of the risk of F'n up my fork, but ill take it.

what new parts do i need to order for my 06 boxxer ride? new seals? if it is just lubrication oil would i just need to buy new seals?

i am quite the noob when talking about inside suspension forks and shocks

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
Take no offense as im not aware of your mechanical capabilities but i give this warning to anyone in this situation....

getting fork seals in and out properly is not for noobs at fork work, reality is your going to have to bite the bullet and either send it to somewhere like push to be rebuilt, or at the shop, you otherwise run the risk of turning 40 extra bucks worth of labor into alot more. I've seen my fair share of forks be brought into the shop with the lowers and new seals a mess because the guy thought he could do it himself or didnt want to pay us to do it because he though we were overcharging him for a "simple" job. Take it to a fair shop you trust and have them do it. I understand a "money is tight" situation, but it'll be alot tighter if you have to buy another pair of seals

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Ok so I am going to give some advice for you because at some point the LBS can get really expensive and its nice to be able to have some skils on wrenching your own rig. Download the rockshox service manula and read it thoroughly. Make sure you are familiar with that its describing or I would reccommend not gonig past that step. But take your lowers off, and when you come to removing the seals take a wrech, like the one in the picture i hve uploaded and lodge oneside under the end of the seals (you will notice no part of the wrench touches any part of the actual fork, only the seals) and remove them. From there follow the guide to put a new set of seals in. Make sure you lube the seals with both grease and fork oil (use generously) and then follow the guide again. But if you are unsure at any point I woudln't chance it.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
to removing the seals take a wrech, like the one in the picture i hve uploaded and lodge oneside under the end of the seals (you will notice no part of the wrench touches any part of the actual fork, only the seals) and remove them.

The wrench will not work to get the oil seals out, just the gray dust seals that sit on top of the oil seals.

I still say you go to the LBS since you can't even figure out which side of the fork is what.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Take no offense as im not aware of your mechanical capabilities but i give this warning to anyone in this situation....

getting fork seals in and out properly is not for noobs at fork work, reality is your going to have to bite the bullet and either send it to somewhere like push to be rebuilt, or at the shop, you otherwise run the risk of turning 40 extra bucks worth of labor into alot more. I've seen my fair share of forks be brought into the shop with the lowers and new seals a mess because the guy thought he could do it himself or didnt want to pay us to do it because he though we were overcharging him for a "simple" job. Take it to a fair shop you trust and have them do it. I understand a "money is tight" situation, but it'll be alot tighter if you have to buy another pair of seals
Changing seals is not a hard job at all.:confused: In fact it is really pretty easy. Maybe that is because I have been servicing forks myself since the dawn of time, motorcycle cartridge forks and MTB forks

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
Man guy's, I don't know where you all live but I would not EVER let my LBS touch anything on my bikes. They are all terrible. I cannot even imagine having a LBS that even knew who to service a Boxxer let alone know what a boxxer even is. I wish this was not the case though.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
And there is the only correct answer to the OP.
Politely disagree with that. I encourage people to at least try their own service if they are somewhat mechanical. Not everyone has a good LBS. In fact, most have pretty crappy ones

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
my mistake about not knowing which side the rebound is on was a silly mistake, i admit it; but that does not matter, because it is my left leg that has the problem( skeeting oil ) and i will leave my rebound side/motion control/gate alone (my right leg )

I know many people want me to bring it to an LBS, but I am going to disagree. I would much rather learn on my own, along side with the RockShox PDF manual. Besides, the LBS's around my area are a joke. I am a hands on kind of guy.

Boogeman, I appreciate you giving me that link, but I dont know much about the inside guts of my Boxxer. I understand that my "left leg is leaking" explanation does not contain any valuable information about my fork problem, but I dont have a clue what actually is "broken" or "out of place" inside my fork.

Once I take apart my fork, what clues will be shown to me that a specific part is "broken"?

I appreciate the people who have helped me, not the people who just e-ridicule :thumb:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
People will be more than willing to help if you actually put some effort into this issue as well!!!

Asking the 'web' to diagnose and fix your fork for you while you cannot be bothered to even look at the plethora of tech info provided by the mfg..or understand the basic functioning of your fork...or describe your problems in a way that make any sense... is obviously not going to be even possible nor end well.

No one is going to take the time to hold your hand and wallk you through the basic layout and function of your fork. All that info is well layed out in many official documents. It is impossible for someone to guess what you are (not) describing, what might be the possible issues, how to diagnose them, and how to fix them... without you gaining an understanding of your fork, understanding exactly how it is not functioning correctly, and using proper terminology to describe your issues.

I would highly suspect based on the lack of regular maintainance that at best your seals are extremely dirty and dry and are leaking (WTF is skeeting??) because to this. Worst case is that the above situation has been left long enough to damage the seals (and maybe the stanchions).

Your rebound being 'gone' has absolutely nothing to do with the stanchion seals leaking...if you do indeed have a rebound issue at all. 'Gone' does not tell us anything, and I am not convinced you are not turning the travel adjust expecting that to adjust your rebound.

Read the documents at RS. Understand these documents and the proper functioning and maintainance of your fork.

When you think you are ready, go back an re-read the info over again.....

Now pull the lowers and perform the basic seal/bushing lubing and maintainance (that you should have been performing every month (or +- 20hours of riding)).

You will need a 5mm allen, some heavy fork oil (or synth motor oil), some way to measure oil in ml, a catch pan, slick honey, and some rags.

Post back if you have specific questions or issues that you can describe well enough for someone to be able to help....

Good luck!