Quantcast

2006 Cannondale Darwin

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Further evidence that Cannondale will be weeded out by natural selection. :rolleyes:

How do you think the Darwin will sell in the bible belt?
I doubt there will be a review in MBA :p

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Looks schweet. Interesting they chose that pivot point... shying away from the Gemini and Prophet and aiming for an FSR feel.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
looks like one of those gary fisher "cake" bikes to me but with a diffrent placement of the shock.

it woulden't be the first time cannondale has ripped off a design just look at what they did to the ventana pantera

and the cannondale prophet bikes this year

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I saw that there bike at the 24 hours of Dalton. I came up on a guy riding one who said he was an engineer at Cannondale and he was testing a prototype. Before I could ask him more he ate it going over an off camber rooty section and I passed him. The above picture looks like a single pivot, but from what I saw at Dalton I though there was a little more going on around the BB. But it was a night lap so could be wrong

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
Zman said:
yes single pivot, yes prototype. can;t say much else sorry....
Ok Mr.Peabody

when exactly is cannondale gonna come out with the MTB hardtail version of the six13 the carbon and aluminum road bike? as a past 1999 team replica hardtail owner i really dug the bike and sweet headshock fork but i would like to see something like the six13 stuff done to a 2006 hardtail model before i purchased another cannondale.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Westy said:
I saw that there bike at the 24 hours of Dalton. I came up on a guy riding one who said he was an engineer at Cannondale and he was testing a prototype. Before I could ask him more he ate it going over an off camber rooty section and I passed him. The above picture looks like a single pivot, but from what I saw at Dalton I though there was a little more going on around the BB. But it was a night lap so could be wrong
Haha this is all the information i need. :p

Thanx Westy you pull through yet again....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Westy said:
That is like the bike I saw there. Except it had a DT Swiss rear shock.....jdcamb

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
dirtjumpP.1 said:
i wish it were a dual link because then it would be more all mountain and maybe stronger
Ummmm....how could more pivots make a bike stronger and more of an all mountain bike? :think:

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
the design of this bike has a major flaw in the linkage because the end of the shock should be mounted on the top tube like many bikes. This design will give a less linear feel to a low travel bike. the specialized demo 9 has like 6 pivot points and no one is calling it weak. And all im saying is more travel would be gaines and it would have all mountain applications.

Hello Kitty said:
Ok Mr.Peabody

when exactly is cannondale gonna come out with the MTB hardtail version of the six13 the carbon and aluminum road bike? as a past 1999 team replica hardtail owner i really dug the bike and sweet headshock fork but i would like to see something like the six13 stuff done to a 2006 hardtail model before i purchased another cannondale.
the 6-13 isn;t coming out in the mountain world yet. and not as long as i know of. to make it to the strength required, the carbon would weigh more than the aluminum. so not worth it. sauser's 6/13 scalpel is the only one, and will continue to be the only one. sorry

dirtjumpP.1 said:
the design of this bike has a major flaw in the linkage because the end of the shock should be mounted on the top tube like many bikes. This design will give a less linear feel to a low travel bike. the specialized demo 9 has like 6 pivot points and no one is calling it weak. And all im saying is more travel would be gaines and it would have all mountain applications.

why does the shock "need" to be mounted to a top tube? what about bullits? those are mounted to the downtube. most "kona" linkage bikes are mounted to a bracket between the seat and downtube. it doesn;t need to be depending on angles and all of that.

and as for more travel? do you know how much travel that bike has? i do, but until i am told so i am not at liberty to divulge such information. i hate to leave it at that but it seems as though there is a little e-engineering going on here.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
Zman said:
the 6-13 isn;t coming out in the mountain world yet. and not as long as i know of. to make it to the strength required, the carbon would weigh more than the aluminum. so not worth it. sauser's 6/13 scalpel is the only one, and will continue to be the only one. sorry
Gosh !! as always the cool stuff never get to the MTB masses first the sram X.0 carbon fiber cage rear der. then the 90mm black box rock shox SID world cup fork now the chi-chi carbon fiber and alu. Cannondale mtb stuff.

Ok mr.Cannondale man maybe you can drop a line to who ever picks out the paint for the bikes and tell them they hit a home run with the F 2000 Sl’s flat black paint job LAST year but this years paint scheme looks like total ASS fades = stupid !!! how hard is it to paint a RACE bike that looks fast? How about a bright RED with SILVER letters with a BLACK outline.

Anyway I test rode one of the Prophets bikes at the AMBC race in Ruston La. last month it was nice however i felt it handled slow and the Scalpel was a much better as in faster handling bike in my opinion and I didn’t even go near the six13 road bikes because if I did I’d be sure to have another expensive toy.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
dirtjumpP.1 said:
the specialized demo 9 has like 6 pivot points and no one is calling it weak.
Demo=FSR=4bar=4 pivot points.
They WELDED that extra triangle to the chainstay.

Basic maths:
A triangle has 3 corners and 3 fixed bars. therefore it has zero degrees of freedom (allowing motion), no matter how many bearings you would throw into the corners.
the old school McPherson struts had 1 degree of freedom as one Bar was not fixed in length (it held the shock) Essentially a Single pivot is a Triangle with two fixed bars (from pivot to shock mount on both the swingarm and the mainframe) and one degree of freedom in the variable length of the 3rd arm, the shock.

Now, let's take four bars, linked with bearings. There is always 1 degree of freedom. You only need One and only want 1 degree of freedom in a suspension system. This is what happens on FSR or linkage bikes. The shock doesn't play a role in the motion of the suspension, only at controlling it by affecting HOW fast the bars are allowed to move. So the shock controls this degree of freedom with its springrate, compression and rebound into well controlled suspension activity. It doesn't matter where this schock is mounted. It may be on the linkage, like most 4 bars, but it may also be between any of the other bars. So it may also be between chainstay and frame. And, as we just said that triangles have zero degrees of freedom, you can replace a bar with a triangle. And hop: the Demo9

by using 5 or 6 pivots you'll get 2 or 3 degrees of freedom. With one shock you can control 1 of these degrees of freedom, but not 2 or 3. It is therefore impossible to make a working suspension with More than one degree of freedom. Hence 5 bars or 6 bars can't work without a second shock.

I hope my explanation is clear

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Zman said:
yes single pivot, yes prototype. can;t say much else sorry....
I demoed a Prophet yesterday. Real nice ride. Stiff, light, and plush. I like it a lot and I am not a Cannondale fan. Usually all the proprietary stuff on a Cannondale bikes has scared me away from them. I must admit they do ride nice. The question I have is why another single pivot? What does the Darwin replace? Why did they put a E-Type fr derailluer on the Prophet? Glad to see they are now using shaft pins instead of shock bolts on the Prophet. I wish all bike makers would use them.....jdcamb

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
Cannondale Darwin

The long-awaited marathon bike with 10cm (100mm for you metrically challenged) travel front and rear. This bike will still have to wait for a bit and apparently will be officially presented in March of 2005... This bike fills the hole between the Scalpel and the Prophet and is a combination of comfort and performance, more to come...

jdcamb said:
I demoed a Prophet yesterday. Real nice ride. Stiff, light, and plush. I like it a lot and I am not a Cannondale fan. Usually all the proprietary stuff on a Cannondale bikes has scared me away from them. I must admit they do ride nice. The question I have is why another single pivot? What does the Darwin replace? Why did they put a E-Type fr derailluer on the Prophet? Glad to see they are now using shaft pins instead of shock bolts on the Prophet. I wish all bike makers would use them.....jdcamb
well right below this hello kitty answered the why question to the darwin. as for e type, because of the weld/size of tubing at the downtube/seattube you can;t mount a topswing der, and there is no way to mount a downswing cause of the swingarm, so e-type it is.

as for single pivot. here you get into a mass of design issues. for one cannondale has always done single pivots. they work extremely well, are efficient, stiff, and low maintenance. and their bump absorption is better than a 4 bar....hence why there are so many swingarms and less 4 bars.

Hello Kitty said:
Cannondale Darwin

The long-awaited marathon bike with 10cm (100mm for you metrically challenged) travel front and rear. This bike will still have to wait for a bit and apparently will be officially presented in March of 2005... This bike fills the hole between the Scalpel and the Prophet and is a combination of comfort and performance, more to come...

CORRECT!!!! we have a winner, and unfortunately no prizes to give out..

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
This is interesting indeed if the Darwin is the cross between the Prophet and the Scalpel it may be a great “all a rounder” bike I already have a short travel full suspension XC Race bike (Titus Racer X ) and don’t need another racy bike. But have thought about something that is a bit plusher on longer than 1.5 to 2 hour rides and especially endurance events.

The prophet I felt was too squishy and sluggish handling for my XC racer weenie boy tastes and the Scalpel although very nice and more suited to my tastes wasn’t ever going to replace my Titus Racer X. However if you could get the quick handling and light weight of the Scalpel and some…of the squish of the Prophet then it would make an awesome endurance racing bike.

I’m just guessing that this will be Tinkers new 24hr / Marathon racing bike and I’ll make sure that I’ll have my camera ready at the 1st norba marathon in Texas this coming March.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Kitty, do you only have an 80mm Racer-X? I'm getting a pretty baby blue 100mm for next year...I think it will do well in enduro events and xc racing. This Darwin doesn't look incredibly interesting, just another single pivot out there, unless they can pull another Prophet.

Hello Kitty

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Houston
xbluethunderx said:
Kitty, do you only have an 80mm Racer-X? I'm getting a pretty baby blue 100mm for next year...I think it will do well in enduro events and xc racing. This Darwin doesn't look incredibly interesting, just another single pivot out there, unless they can pull another Prophet.
Oh the baby blue that was an option for sure but the little lady liked the PINK racer X (only one we have seen in Texas) and my "high maintenance" POLISHED racer x this is an old photo and the pink one is getting the chris king PINK headset and hub treatment from Santa.

The 100mm Racer X or Hammerhead 100x didn’t really sell me on the why 13/16” of an inch more travel than the regular Titus Racer X was better. For the 5 or 6 endurance races we do a year getting the 100mm bike doesn’t make much sense right now.

there are a TON of Titus Racer X's here in Texas and Hammerhead 100X's i'll guarantee you that you love the way the racer x handles good luck next year!