Quantcast

2006 cranks

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
I am looking for a new crankset for my downhill bike for next year. I am considering the Diabolous, the Saints, and the 2006 Truvativ Holzfellers and Howitzer BB. I would like 175mm cranks which means I would have to use the double ring model (which is slightly heavier, and the granny ring tabs might interfere with my chainguide) because the single ring model only comes in 165 and 170mm lengths. Which cranks should I go with? (I am also open to other suggestions).

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
i have saints on my hardtail which have not been touched since they were installed over a year ago and ridden ridiculously hard and are still running perfectly.

however the diablous on my downhill bike that ive had for 3 months have bent already but hey theyre under warranty so i`m not too bothered.

go for the saints, theyre cheaper too.

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
I've found diabolous cranks, arms and bb only for 235 or so but, I've only found saints for 265 or so with rings. The rings won't do me any good because I already have a fairly new four bolt chainring and an e-13 bashring. So, it seems to me that the diabolous are cheaper, unless you have found a deal that I don't know about.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
i have 175mm holzfellers w/38T e13 chainring. i'm using them with a 122.5mm spindled bottom bracket on a frame without integrated ISCG.
i see no problem for running them with a 120mm spindled BB (the chainring tabs shouldn't thouch the chainguide)
i also think that a 118mm, or even a 116mm spindled bottom bracket could be used with these cranks in a frame that comes with integrates ISCG mount.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
have yuo seen HOne they are cheaper and are just like the saints but cheaper and lighter and they arement for freeride/dh they are just a little weeker but no one has complained about them check them out

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
I'm not sure I would be comfortable running them on a downhill/freeride bike. I am only 155 lbs and, while not easy on cranks, not all that hard either so maybe they would work. I just don't want to have to hold back because I am worried about my equipment.

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I have been running the hones on my DH bike all season- and I like them. They are relatively light and feel pretty stiff. Also, they can be found pretty cheap.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Get the saints, havent heard one problem with them all and have a bunch of guys around here running them. You mention that you will be using an e.13, there will be a bit of modification to run them ( i think its only taking some bash ring material off to fit the arm). Can anyone comment on the fitting of the saint/e.13 combo?

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
the 06 holzfellers are incredible. waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy lighter than previous, super stiff, really sleak lines (almost look italian), and you can run the 175's with a single ring. if you want to run the dh ring, you have to grind down the insides of the spider. you might not have to, but probably should grind down the granny rin tabs to if you're not going to use them.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
beaverbiker said:
the 06 holzfellers are incredible. waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy lighter than previous, super stiff, really sleak lines (almost look italian), and you can run the 175's with a single ring. if you want to run the dh ring, you have to grind down the insides of the spider. you might not have to, but probably should grind down the granny rin tabs to if you're not going to use them.
...are the 06 Holzies using the X-Type BB with integrated spindle?..or are they using the ISIS standard interface w/ a separate X-Type BB?

Unimog

Chimp
May 6, 2005
Aren't middleburns isis (or did you have a different bb idea)? The main reason I am looking for new cranks/bb is because I want a setup with more durable bearings so they don't have to be continually replaced like isis.