Quantcast

2006 Eric Carter Sig. Mongoose EC-D

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I got the chance to take a quick spin one of these at the Mt. Snow Finals, and I gotta say the geometry felt pretty good - they didn't have the Boxxer on it set up at all so that's all I can really give at this point...

http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail.php?id=342&brandLine=Pro_International&brandID=57

Note the HUGE difference in the frame construction between it and the Black Diamond Triple... also notice the slight tip of the hat to the Turner DHR... :D

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I would love to try one of those to see what effect body weight has on the suspension.

But something tells me I would rather have a design with a simple pulley to reduce chaingrowth. The floating bb and all of those pivots really aren't necessary.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
all those pivots are not to prevent chain grow but to make the thing pedal alot better. it should work and that bike should be fast. for some reason everybody rights mongoose off as a dead company when they arn't

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I must admit that I thought the prototype was probably the ugliest bike I had ever soon. However, I saw a production one in Mammoth, and it looked decent.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Sir_Crackien said:
all those pivots are not to prevent chain grow but to make the thing pedal alot better. it should work and that bike should be fast. for some reason everybody rights mongoose off as a dead company when they arn't
Yeah, they make the bike pedal well by reducing chaingrowth.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
That bike is fugly. Looks like a pretty damn high C.O.G.
Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the B.B. of this bike basically move towards the hadlebars in an up and forward motion as it compresses??

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
Its not an idrive, its sort of the same concept and Im pretty sure he helped design it. He says he love it. Also everything that he runs on his bikes you can buy (except the 06 boxxer cuz its not out yet, and the rear shock of the DS bike)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
jet said:
It's a freakin i-drive. What the hell has EC gone and done...Does he really race that thing?
maybe he rides it because he gets paid alot to ride it. :think: why else do you think lopes rides for gt?

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
gnurider1080 said:
maybe he rides it because he gets paid alot to ride it. :think: why else do you think lopes rides for gt?
because GT pays him to ride other bikes. Lopes has never ridden a GT, his bikes are made by an independent frame maker and then painted like a GT. Gimme 3 hours and I'll find the article. Its the same guy that makes most of the top pro XC bikes, and nobody even knows about it.....

-Ryan

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
I thought mongoose's were walmart bikes? That's why everyone automatically assumes this one is the same p.o.s. It's their fault, making extremely crappy bikes then trying to make a high end bike.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
santacruzer87 said:
because GT pays him to ride other bikes. Lopes has never ridden a GT, his bikes are made by an independent frame maker and then painted like a GT. Gimme 3 hours and I'll find the article. Its the same guy that makes most of the top pro XC bikes, and nobody even knows about it.....
The article was in Bike magazine a moth or two ago. EC also rode Turners for some time, with Mongoose stickers on. I recently dusted off a copy of Bike from a year or two back with a Mongoose ad on the back cover. It had EC at a Big Bear DH, clearly on a DHR but with Mongoose stickers.

It's not that ugly. Not as ugly as a Peeler or a Balfa BB7 or a MC San Andreas or a Tomac 207 or a lot of other bikes. I always wrote off Mongoose as a Kmart brand but I guess they have some ok bikes now.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i wanted to shed some light on these bikes as they are named after me...

first off, the design group at mongoose has done an awsome job....we worked for almost 2 years to get it all right, we realized that the new line of mongoose high end stuff needs to be spot on...and i feel it is.

?about high cog....if you look at the picture on the mongoose site you can see the line from the bb to the rear axle is almost level....the cog is plenty low.
the black diamond is however a bit higher as it's designed for free ride /north shore stuff.
? about it being an i drive......it's based off the i drive technology but it is different....although i'm biased, i think it's better
and what have i gone and done?....last i saw the dhi won a boat load of races and championships this being based off that technology is nothing but good...and had i not been busted up all season i would have raced it...next year for sure.

? about getting paid a lot to ride it......no secret i rode turners while on mongoose and getting paid by them.... if these bikes weren't up to snuff i still could be on another bike, we took a long time on r&d so these things could be right and i could race them and not think about other bikes.

wal mart comment...they still sell in walmart/target/toys r us......i know dealers get upset about it...but it's a completely different market, and if it gets people on bikes , i think it's all good.....good thing is because mongoose does so much of those bikes they have some big buying power....which means lower prices.
not sure but i think this bike is going to be around 3400 us dollars.
btw for the weight geeks like myself.....my dh bike is about 39/40lbs right now....with it getting a ti diet next year & some effort to make it light i think it could be 37?

they also did a ec x ...which is the mountiancross version & i think it's awsome.... i would give the link but i suck at computers.

later,
e.c.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
BC VAN said:

first off, the design group at mongoose has done an awsome job....we worked for almost 2 years to get it all right, we realized that the new line of mongoose high end stuff needs to be spot on...and i feel it is.

?about high cog....if you look at the picture on the mongoose site you can see the line from the bb to the rear axle is almost level....the cog is plenty low.
the black diamond is however a bit higher as it's designed for free ride /north shore stuff.
? about it being an i drive......it's based off the i drive technology but it is different....although i'm biased, i think it's better
and what have i gone and done?....last i saw the dhi won a boat load of races and championships this being based off that technology is nothing but good...and had i not been busted up all season i would have raced it...next year for sure.

? about getting paid a lot to ride it......no secret i rode turners while on mongoose and getting paid by them.... if these bikes weren't up to snuff i still could be on another bike, we took a long time on r&d so these things could be right and i could race them and not think about other bikes.

wal mart comment...they still sell in walmart/target/toys r us......i know dealers get upset about it...but it's a completely different market, and if it gets people on bikes , i think it's all good.....good thing is because mongoose does so much of those bikes they have some big buying power....which means lower prices.
not sure but i think this bike is going to be around 3400 us dollars.
btw for the weight geeks like myself.....my dh bike is about 39/40lbs right now....with it getting a ti diet next year & some effort to make it light i think it could be 37?

they also did a ec x ...which is the mountiancross version & i think it's awsome.... i would give the link but i suck at computers.

later,
e.c.
youre joking right?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
....uhhhh.

Was that really Eric Carter?!

Anyone from Mongoose on this site, or anyone who knows/works for the man hisself E.C. - can it be comfirmed that he actually wrote that?!?!?

Darren (PUSH Ind.) - does Eric really follow stuff on RM???

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i get it....i don't know how i can confirm that it's me really..... my screen name came from my first year on the circut....i rode for a bike shop team called bicycle center in redondo beach , a bunch of top industry people came from that shop...anyhow....we toured around in an old van, thats how the name"bc van" came about.....i wanted a name that my friends would get but could stay on the downlow and check stuff out.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...c'mon

You're not really E.C..... just some guy who likes Mongoose and wants to screw with people... :sneaky: :D

That would be crazy if you were though... Eric is fu@#ing legendary... even from back in the day during the BMX years... ever race with Pistol Pete?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
BC VAN said:
joking about what?

Welcome to the monkey where everyone is a skeptic and a critic....
Probably thinks your not really E.C.

Were you in whistler a weekend ago? We saw a Mongoose team guy on one of the new bikes ripping up the 4x track. It was hard to see from the chair but the bike looked cool., and the rider was ripping it up.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
i'm just a bike geek like everyone else ....just cause i can go fast on a bike makes me no different then any else, but thanks for the legendary comment.....jdd or stik can confirm it for ya.

yes i raced pistol pete...in bmx and mtb, he was actually one of my first hero's when i was 8 and raced in a long gone bmx association called "bmxl" we raced at la mirada , irvine, santa ana elks, and fountain valley....those are all so cal spots.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Now you're going to have to change your screen name or the e-paparazzi will follow you all over ridemonkey.. ha

BC VAN said:
i get it....i don't know how i can confirm that it's me really..... my screen name came from my first year on the circut....i rode for a bike shop team called bicycle center in redondo beach , a bunch of top industry people came from that shop...anyhow....we toured around in an old van, thats how the name"bc van" came about.....i wanted a name that my friends would get but could stay on the downlow and check stuff out.

hilldown

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
Oroville, CA
We are a Mongoose dealer at our bikeshop. And like BC Van said its a completely different line up of bikes. I work on those P.O.S. wallmart bikes every day. We have all seen them and hate to work on them, at leat I do. Mainly because they are made to look like bikes, and not actually preform like a bike. The bike shop line has all sorts of quality bikes that are chalk full of high end components and completely different frame designs. There sweet bikes, and I cant wait to check them out at interbike. And to BC Van, looks like you better change your name again bro, cats outta the bag.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
oly said:
Welcome to the monkey where everyone is a skeptic and a critic....
Probably thinks your not really E.C.

Were you in whistler a weekend ago? We saw a Mongoose team guy on one of the new bikes ripping up the 4x track. It was hard to see from the chair but the bike looked cool., and the rider was ripping it up.
thanks for the welcome...i wasn't in whistler not sure who it was?...all the guys i know that are on team bikes would have been in mammoth?..... a couple of weeks ago our r&d head guy d salsbury was up there testing some stuff on the bikes...but i don't hink he wa 4x'n?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
... :eek:

Wow.

But yeah - Pistol was one of the guys I looked up to as well - back during the years when he rode for CW...him and Gregg Hill...I think he rode for Redline... man the ABA years...lots of memories. It was like 86' and I was probably 13 at the time.

Your tech guys in the Mongoose trailer at Mt. Snow were super cool - I just asked for the hell of it, and the let me ride one of the signature bikes off the rack...

Bitchin' man - nice to meet ya!
:D

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
hilldown said:
We are a Mongoose dealer at our bikeshop. And like BC Van said its a completely different line up of bikes. I work on those P.O.S. wallmart bikes every day. We have all seen them and hate to work on them, at leat I do. Mainly because they are made to look like bikes, and not actually preform like a bike. The bike shop line has all sorts of quality bikes that are chalk full of high end components and completely different frame designs. There sweet bikes, and I cant wait to check them out at interbike. And to BC Van, looks like you better change your name again bro, cats outta the bag.
the trick is to get those guys who bring the target bike in to upgrade to the next level....but at leats they are in the shop.

i'm not worried about the name deal.....like i said i'm a bike geek i love readin all the topics & if it's on line or at the races you gotta have time for the fans!

i'm going to interbike at 4 in the morning to do some dealer rides the next 2 days...come up and say hey.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
BC VAN said:
Nice. Welcome...

Glad to hear you had a hand in the design. Bodes well for the geometry.

I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical about the suspension design, but I don't pedal my DH bikes anyway, so all I really care about is a smooth, progressive shock, and great geometry. Looking forward to this thing hitting the market...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I saw the Mongoose guy at Whistler, it was Onofrochuk (sp, sorry).

EC i wou;dn't worry too much about the critisisms here, lots of these guys only beleive that expensive bikes work. If its from a company known to do affordable bikes, no way they could possibly know what they are doing when it comes to high end stuff......;)

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
BC VAN said:
thanks for the welcome...i wasn't in whistler not sure who it was?...all the guys i know that are on team bikes would have been in mammoth?..... a couple of weeks ago our r&d head guy d salsbury was up there testing some stuff on the bikes...but i don't hink he wa 4x'n?
Hm, well it did look to have a DC fork, afterall It was a chairlift observation......... but the riders jersey was unmistakable.

anyways, its cool to see your caliber of rider on the monkey. Its funny how some people cant believe it could be possible? Like you were some robot who was stored in a closet when not racing.....

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
S.K.C. said:
... :eek:

Wow.

But yeah - Pistol was one of the guys I looked up to as well - back during the years when he rode for CW...him and Gregg Hill...I think he rode for Redline... man the ABA years...lots of memories.

Your tech guys in the Mongoose trailer at Mt. Snow were super cool - I just asked for the hell of it, and the let me ride one of the signature bikes off the rack...

Bitchin' man - nice to meet ya!
:D
thanks for starting the topic...i wish i could have been in mt snow...the races i have been at i've been letting people ride my personal bike just to see what they think...the frame is the exact same...mine is right of the shelf...the only parts different are the dh fork( black box) and the rear shock oon my 4x(black box) and i have easton bars/ stem not tru vativ...everything else on both bikes i believe is right of the shelf.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Looking at the bike, I think the high COG is an illusion created by the downtube, such as it is, not going to the BB, and instead being higher and going to the pivot. If you look at where the shock actually is, its not any different from any other frame with similar shock placement.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
thanks for starting the topic...i wish i could have been in mt snow...the races i have been at i've been letting people ride my personal bike just to see what they think...the frame is the exact same...mine is right of the shelf...the only parts different are the dh fork( black box) and the rear shock oon my 4x(black box) and i have easton bars/ stem not tru vativ...everything else on both bikes i believe is right of the shelf.
...no problem.

I was just doing a google search out of curiosity... was just thinking about the ride I took on it the other day... then came across it on the 'Goose site. :D

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
dropmachine.com said:
Looking at the bike, I think the high COG is an illusion created by the downtube, such as it is, not going to the BB, and instead being higher and going to the pivot. If you look at where the shock actually is, its not any different from any other frame with similar shock placement.
well put!

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
dropmachine.com said:
I saw the Mongoose guy at Whistler, it was Onofrochuk (sp, sorry).

EC i wou;dn't worry too much about the critisisms here, lots of these guys only beleive that expensive bikes work. If its from a company known to do affordable bikes, no way they could possibly know what they are doing when it comes to high end stuff......;)
critisisms are no bother....not everyone is going to like this bike. different bikes will ride different for sure....i think it's cool to see how different people have opinions...i personally love the super controversy topics.

i can say with confidence that i love the way these bikes handle....i think at the price point they have talked about at mongoose and the quality of parts as well as how much we worked on these bikes to get them right...these things well do good.

we tried a lot of crappy proto types
( as do all the manufactures out there) before we got to this version...i just wish i could have been healthy to race them this year....although i still think cody warren would have kicked my a*s at mammoth...how bout that kids time!?