Quantcast

2006 FOX Vanilla RC2 Feedback?

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Hey all, need some real time ride reviews on the Van RC2. I am going to put one on my 6-Pack, which will be ridden for regular XC rides, all the way to fast, tech rock gardens & some nice drops / jumps.

Soooo, if any of you monkeys have some input, it would be appreciated, before I drop some serious coin :rolleyes:

I don't need comments on the TALAS, as I have ridden one, & have heard nothing but bad things about that fork :nope:

Thanks in advance!

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
I had one on my 6 Pack for several rides before I sold the frame. First impressions are very high! The fork is amazingly light, uncut steer tube, axle in place the fork weighed 5.7 pounds. Super smooth right out of the box, I never really played with the adjustments either because I wanted it to break in some before I started fiddling. I really like this fork, Im keeping it and will use it on the new Nomad when it comes in. With the Pack its a perfect match, the bike feels balanced esp on the steep runs. I never really climbed long steep climbs with it but the few short steep climbs were fine. Even if I dont like the Nomad, I will go back to the Turner even though the rear end will be different nxt time around and I will still use the same Fox fork. The hard part is the price, they aint cheap but the new Marzzochi's are starting to get steep too.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
Thanks dlb, just what I was looking for :D

Curious, what do you weigh? Want to know because I'm pushing 195lbs & might need a heavier spring???

Thanks again!

Stu

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
hucked2bend said:
Hey all, need some real time ride reviews on the Van RC2. I am going to put one on my 6-Pack, which will be ridden for regular XC rides, all the way to fast, tech rock gardens & some nice drops / jumps.

Soooo, if any of you monkeys have some input, it would be appreciated, before I drop some serious coin :rolleyes:

I don't need comments on the TALAS, as I have ridden one, & have heard nothing but bad things about that fork :nope:

Thanks in advance!
what bad things have you heard about the talas? Just wondering as I absolutely love mine and everyone who has used mine has loved it as well including some DH riding. Based on every fox fork I've ridden, I can say the VAN probably feels absolutely amazing :thumb:

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
dhmtbj said:
what bad things have you heard about the talas? Just wondering as I absolutely love mine and everyone who has used mine has loved it as well including some DH riding. Based on every fox fork I've ridden, I can say the VAN probably feels absolutely amazing :thumb:
I have heard that the travel adjust is weak, the fork actually loses a bit of travel, not really giving the full 150mm. I also heard they are hard to set up properly, plus they pack down on multiple hits, such as rock gardens, etc... My actual few rides I had on the TALUS were pretty good, couldn't really complain, other than the fact that when I dialed the travel back to 150, it would not exyend all the way. Over on MTBR, it doesn't get great reviews either. Now the Vanilla on the other hand, heard it absolutely rocks! My friend has had one of the Van RC2's for about two weeks, he came off an 05 Zoke Z1 1 w/ ETA, said it matches the plushness & is much more adjustable.

I'm going with the Van, even though no travel adjust, but shouldn't really need it on the Pack up here in Bend ; )

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
hucked2bend said:
I have heard that the travel adjust is weak, the fork actually loses a bit of travel, not really giving the full 150mm. I also heard they are hard to set up properly, plus they pack down on multiple hits, such as rock gardens, etc... My actual few rides I had on the TALUS were pretty good, couldn't really complain, other than the fact that when I dialed the travel back to 150, it would not exyend all the way. Over on MTBR, it doesn't get great reviews either. Now the Vanilla on the other hand, heard it absolutely rocks! My friend has had one of the Van RC2's for about two weeks, he came off an 05 Zoke Z1 1 w/ ETA, said it matches the plushness & is much more adjustable.

I'm going with the Van, even though no travel adjust, but shouldn't really need it on the Pack up here in Bend ; )
Interesting...I run mine at 4 inches most of the time for dirtjumping, slalom, and street so maybe thats why I didn't notice any issues. I'm sure you will love the VAN! If it feels anything like my 40, it'll be a dream:thumb:

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
What's the progression like on the 40 and the van? I remember hearing in early reviews that the 40 was pretty linear so would bottom out fairly often? Is this true or just a case of very limited reviews?

I like a fork that uses lots of its travel but I like the way you can tune marzocchi's to ramp up at the end of the stroke to minimize bottoming.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
banj said:
What's the progression like on the 40 and the van? I remember hearing in early reviews that the 40 was pretty linear so would bottom out fairly often? Is this true or just a case of very limited reviews?

I like a fork that uses lots of its travel but I like the way you can tune marzocchi's to ramp up at the end of the stroke to minimize bottoming.
yeah, I'd like to also add, has anyone had them turn up the "hydraulic bottom out adjustment" with good results?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
stu, thanks for reading my mind. i have been wondering the same thing today. i want to get a transition gran mal and slap one of these forks on it.

\m/

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have ridden a few of the Van 36's and they do feel as though the "quality" of travel is marginally better than the TALAS version of the fork. However I have beat down my 36 and used it as a DH fork etc for the better part of 6 months now without a single issue. I have not lost any travel and although the fork is linear feeling when run with low PSI it does not bottom out at all. I have tried to get it to bottom and I can't. For me the travel adjust far outweighs the slight improvement in suspension quality because I do climb a lot.

If it's only for freeriding however why not get the Van since it has a tad more squish. Of course there's always the old toe clip strap around the brace and crown trick to keep the fork compressed for long climbs. Either way you can't go wrong with a Fox IMO.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
mandown said:
stu, thanks for reading my mind. i have been wondering the same thing today. i want to get a transition gran mal and slap one of these forks on it.

\m/
Yeah...Dooooo it mannnnn!

I will be waiting at my door tomorrow for the old brown santa to deee-liver the Fox. I'll comment on it Monday, once I put it through some torture ; )

How's sunny SoCal?? ; )

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Stu,

what is the verdict? i gotta believe that the old brown santa has dropped the fork off and you have strapped it on. give us some feedback.

not sure if i am looking at the gran mal anymore. i may slap the fox 36 VAN on my bb7.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
On one for three months.

It has not dissappointed me. Actually this is the fork i've been waiting for. Perfect for trails and lift serviced riding. Point and shoot on rough stuff. Climbs like a billy goat too.

Pretty happy so far. I thought about the Talas or other forks. Basically the Van was my only choice in that it was a basic coil/oil type design.

If it proves reliable over time. I think it will be a contender for all around best SC fork.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
werd :thumb:

what frame do you have it on? what type of trails have you been on? where were you doing your lift service?

did you go with the VAN R or the RC2? i am not sure that i want to spring the extra coin for the high/low comp damp. i set and forget my forks. i have a pike and a shiver. i almost never twist the knobs. i think it would be a waste for me, but i am open to being convinced otherwise.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
A mate has a pair of 2006 RC2 on the front of a Brooklyn Minilink/FQ with an Avy on the rear. Iv only ridden it once (weather's crap over here now till spring) but it was really plush and a nice partner to the Avy. He's not played around with the settings yet, he just threw it on and rode it, so I cant really tell you much, but I was sure impressed with it the little time I'd spent on it. I ride a 888.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Ive got a 2006 Van R on my SX Trail. Not the RC2, however pretty much the same feel. Its an awesome fork for pretty much everything. Very strong. I weight 220, and have the heaviest spring in there, and it could be a little stiff. At 195, you should get the next spring up from stock.

Its a great fork for jumping, and drops. Nice and stiff, and plush, however no way near as plush as a Marzocchi 66. For the rock-gardens, or fast bumpy, rooty stuff, I would rather have a 66 on the front, however for everything else, the 36 does a great job.

I am normally not a fox person, as I was not happy with some of their quality control on 2003 products, however since it came on the bike, I thought I would give it a chance, and I am glad I did. I would still prefer a zoke, however thats just personal choice.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Just get the R, I have a 40RC2 and I NEVER change the compression adjustments. Set them in the middle and left them, no regrets!

tmmccree

Chimp
Sep 20, 2004
I've recently purchased the 06 36 VanR - awesome product! Wickedly light for what it is, stiff and beefy. Quality is extremely high, which I was expecting. Also nice that they came with all springs, should I ever need to change them (or it, seeing as there is only one).

Performance-wise they seem pretty good. I've not really had a proper off-road thrashing on them as its utterly stinking (both weather and conditions) at the moment. From what I have done on them though they do seem to have quality damping and performance. I'll need to ride with them a bit more before deciding if they're as buttery as my 888s.

In some ways I wish I'd got the RC2, just for extra things to tinker with. They were an extra £100 though, which is quite a lot more on an already pricey pair of single crowns. Besides, I used the £100 to get a Juicy5 :)

All in all, I'd say they're worth it. I'd have preferred the 150mm 66RC2X, but the weight penalty was too high (wanted some light but beefy single crowns).

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
RC2 is the way to go IMO. Particularly for trails/DH combo use.

Keep in mind this fork actually adjusts. Not a gimmic type adjustment. You'll feel it.

The fork is on my 2004 Bullit frame w/ ~6" rear travel via a custom tuned rear shock. Makes for some nice geometry w/ semi-raked HA & a reasonably low BB. Good fork & frame match. Tough, light, simple, reliable.

A fun bike to ride up or down.

FYI: This fork is a smooth as a baby mink pelt (huh?). Anyway it is as smooth as anything out there. Don't even entertain any ideas that a bomber is smoother. I've owned many Marzocchi forks and it ain't true.