Quantcast

2006 Maxxis Prototype Minions - very interesting...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...heh.

Yup - it looks like Maxxis finally solved that materials flaw.

...a tire like that proto would be PERFECT for racing.

...kinda makes you wonder why in the hell no one thought of this sooner. :think: =)

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
This new type of dual compound deal seems like the new trend in tires as of late.

Cool

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
If they still have the 40/42 outer they will still get burnt off fast as F.......

I wish they go back and make their tires with the 50 Duro. That was the best compound IMO......

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
doesn't sound too fun in the root infested southeast. That's where a completely soft knob really pays off to have the whole thing deform to rock hard root balls in deep loamy dirt...
I'm running the Michelin MTNX Xtreme 2.2 with the dual compound on my trail bike. It makes the knob ALOT stiffer than the DH version in terms of staying "stood up" and biting into the soil. At first I thought (from a feel it with your finger test) that the new rubber was a lot stiffer overall...until I did a few XC rides and felt the outer coating grip and sorta stick to the ground.
I love them for trail riding b/c they do accelerate faster and the knobs don't squirm as much, while keeping the tacky feel of a soft compound.

But I cannot see me running a DH tire with a stiff base to the knob b/c it does deflect more, regardless of the outer coat of soft rubber. Basicly, I'm happy with soft compound tires.