Quantcast

2006 Nicolai site up... 2 types of DH G-boxx frames

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Now they have a Nucleon TST 'evo' which is made of magnesium and titanium parts...obviously to lighten the frame since you still have that Rohloff hub in there.

And you have the regular TST which truely looks like something Nicolai would make.

Both of these make my Nucleon ST look like a heap! I hate myself.

www.nicolai.net

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's definately not a nicolai, where are the speed holes?

needs more speed holes. then again, there are 300 bolts on the gboxx.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Whoa, the inboard brake caliper mount is just wierd. Why not just run the brake caliper backwards... are there that many directional brakes out there?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I need to get a big raise from my boss!...even though I only have one Nicolai left...they're by ar my favorite bike company....D

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
AR_ said:
Awh why can't they just put a Gboxx on the M-pire. It's by far the nicest frame they do.
Somehow I agree with you about the Older ones, but this new G-Boxxes are so compact and the weight so close to the center of mass, i think they have a great concept going..

specially since everything is concentric in the swingarm pivot point and can run a single speed setup and the chain with out any tensioners, kind of like a BMW but with a well protect gear box as oppose to a expose derreileur.

also karl say the new prices will be lower (NO Idea how much) that the current stuff since the have a much more efficient production line, will see, personally i think the design is brilliant, even if I will love to see a "virtual pivot point"design for better suspension efficiency,,well life is full of compromises and i believe this bikes have a lot going for them in terms of integration, design and improve manufacturing sistems.

just the Opinion of a industrial designer (in Espanol) with more than 20 years of work and even more of riding bikes.

Oh yeah i totally agree about the lack of space deal on the M-pire, it's just something i wish could happen.

Ridiculous price for the TST Evo though. Well, relative to what sort of tech and materials are involved with the frame i guess, but who would pay it? :S

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
How many bikes does Nicolai sell? They seem to be pushing the envelope in regards to design and construction every single year, on tons of models - it can't be a cheap process.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I remember reading somewhere that they sold under 100 TST's last year. 50 frames sold comes to mind for some reason. Can't be a cheap process although they sell tons of their different frames in Europe.

Having a low center of gravity like that is killer, I can only imagine how nice these ones ride.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
bike mag said nicolai has produced over 60 g-boxx frames; though that encompases several models over a couple years. i'm sure there's only an handfull of tst's out there.

the evo is looking amazingly refined. they've come a long way from the old nucleons in a very short time. must be a great place to work.

the new ufo st looks kinda neat also:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
sixsixtysix said:
If anyone wants to know, the cost of the Nucleon TST Evo is about.... cough.... $8000 USD..... cough :drool:
according to U.S. distributors website they're under $6000...not that it's now affordable...D

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
The pricing of Nicolais is definitely outrageous, but it makes sense considering the complexity, low production runs, and also the fact that the company is located in Germany. The Demo 9 frame sells for over 3k and it's mass produced in Taiwan. Now that's rediculous.

Is the geometry of the evo frame listed on Nicolai's site? I'm not seeing it.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
zmtber said:
wow awesom bikes but i thinnk this site has been up for a while
Note:i check nicolai's site at least ones a week ,since Karl send me some info

I don't think so....

well the site looks pretty much the same but the pictures of the new G-Boxxes became available only a few days ago.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
nicolai definitely tries... I just wish they were a bigger outfit, better distribution/support/lower_prices.