2006 National Mountain Bike Series
NMBS # 1 – May 5-7 - Los Angeles, CA
NMBS # 2 – June 9-11 – Sugar Mountain, NC
NMBS # 3 – June 16-18 – Mount Snow, VT
NMBS # 4 – July 7-9 – Deer Valley, UT
USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championship – July 20-23 –Mammoth Lakes, CA
NMBS # 5 – August 4-6 – Brian Head, UT
NMBS # 6 – August 11-13 – Snowmass, CO

I'm assuming the Los Angeles location will be XC only? Or maybe 4X?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I would be stoked if the LA location had DH or 4X. And they sure pushed the dates back. Looks like I won't be missing much school.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
wydopen said:
one chance to quailify for the socal dhers:confused:
There should be plenty of pre-season qualies... Sea Otter, Keyesville, Firestone, Deer... possibly Fontana and more if Donnie can get approval of a Cal-state series?

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
They rescheduled the national championships to be more inline with the rest of the world. This way they will be before the world championships. It is kind of hard to send your countries top riders to the worlds when you do not know who they are until after the worlds take place.

As for qualifing I am not sure the exact date but some of the races this fall count as qualifiers for next year. The exact dates and info are available on USA cyclings website.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Kinda bummed about the loss of Snowshoe. Went there twice and coudn't race either time. NC is a hell of a lot further.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Five said:
National Championships in July? That doesn't give much time for qualifying - especially for West coast riders.
That's what I was thinking. Basically Sea Otter or the Cal State Championships (for the riders in California). I'm kind of curious what the Los Angeles event will be; I'm assuming it will be an XC race in Big Bear.

Jonnyc

Chimp
Oct 20, 2005
Hmmmm... LA? could this be bonilli park XC and Fontana DH. That was a rumor during to 05 season.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
WheelieMan said:
http://www.usacycling.org/news/user/story.php?id=1967

2006 National Mountain Bike Series
NMBS # 1 – May 5-7 - Los Angeles, CA
NMBS # 2 – June 9-11 – Sugar Mountain, NC
NMBS # 3 – June 16-18 – Mount Snow, VT
NMBS # 4 – July 7-9 – Deer Valley, UT
USA Cycling Mountain Bike National Championship – July 20-23 –Mammoth Lakes, CA
NMBS # 5 – August 4-6 – Brian Head, UT
NMBS # 6 – August 11-13 – Snowmass, CO
Ok, let's see.... my thoughts:

LA...i can't imagine anything good for DH...that's if they even have any.

NC....i keep hearing rumors about ****ty lifts....donno about the course...but i like east coast courses & dirt (since i grew up back there)

Mt Snow....killer

Deer Valley.....cool except there were NO SPECTATORS THERE LAST YEAR! I've neer seen the pits completely empty on a saturday at deer valley until '05. organization was total **** too. cool riding though.

Brian Head.....what a joke.

Snowmass.... i kept hearing that '05 was the last year. i never really liked snowmass much. killer 4x course though.....but they didn't race it (bastards). i'm suuuuuuper surprised they're getting the finals

now let's see if any of these dates conflict w/ world cups

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
WOW!!! Nothing conflicts. well other than the first DH world cup & the first Norba in Los Angeles (which i'll assume is xc only)

hmmm....give it time. i'm sure they'll screw up somehow. i'm still wondering how many top pros will show up to a norba...or will they boycott it again

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
DylanDeanDesign said:
WOW!!! Nothing conflicts. well other than the first DH world cup & the first Norba in Los Angeles (which i'll assume is xc only)

hmmm....give it time. i'm sure they'll screw up somehow. i'm still wondering how many top pros will show up to a norba...or will they boycott it again
Thanks for the optimistic input..........guys like you is just what the sport needs.....

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Am I the only one, but isnt't the east coast still cool and wet in june and the west coast hot and dry in august? Did any one consider the weather? I wiold rathere be out west early on and in the east later. I am gld NC has a race, but is it actually close to anyone?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
teamkranzelbike said:
Am I the only one, but isnt't the east coast still cool and wet in june and the west coast hot and dry in august? Did any one consider the weather? I wiold rathere be out west early on and in the east later. I am gld NC has a race, but is it actually close to anyone?
You will be blown away at the amount of XC racers that (hopefully) will show up. There should be alot of DHers also. alot.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
DylanDeanDesign said:
Ok, let's see.... my thoughts:

NC....i keep hearing rumors about ****ty lifts....donno about the course...but i like east coast courses & dirt (since i grew up back there)
The course is okay as is. It has the potential to be great. Lets see what can be done before the national. I'd like to see a new bottom section after Pimps and Zits without Lizard's Lane. But I HOPE, HOPE that if they cut a new trail it gets raced on before the national. But at a minumum it should be open for riding a month before the June date to burn in and get corrections as needed. I can see a Snowshoe type mud fest if all the loam isn't blasted off any new trail and it rains. The old course isn't so bad in the wet. Heck I've never raced it in the dry.

Sugar DH race pics...

The lifts.... I'll say this:

Two 2-seat lifts running side by side (Only one has bike hooks). Only one goes to the top, the other goes to the traditional DH start at the 3/4 station. They are not detachable. I'm sure Bituch will pipe in with his standard propaganda.

They haven't had or have any experience at 4x or slolam, so I hope they draw on some of the great gated racing talent we have locally. Herndon, Hailey, Juan, Chuck, etc.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
teamkranzelbike said:
Your right on this one . It's the same mountain chain as snowshoe? right. When has snowshoe not been wet in June..

To get there - drive for ever, or fly into charlotte and drive a couple

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Msisle Dad said:
Your right on this one . It's the same mountain chain as snowshoe? right. When has snowshoe not been wet in June..

To get there - drive for ever, or fly into charlotte and drive a couple
It should be just about perfect in June.

you could fly into Asheville and drive maybe 1 hour.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
blt2ride said:
That's what I was thinking. Basically Sea Otter or the Cal State Championships (for the riders in California). I'm kind of curious what the Los Angeles event will be; I'm assuming it will be an XC race in Big Bear.
Yeah, I guess I'll have to be on it at Sea Otter. I qualified last year at Sea Otter but barely - looks like more people might show up so that they can have a chance of qualifying.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Msisle Dad said:
I just checked with USA Cycling. The qualification period began on 08/01/05. So the last two NMBS races counted toward 06....
That's good....except I didn't do the last 2 races, errrr
:angry:

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
DylanDeanDesign said:
Brian Head.....what a joke.
I thought Brian Head was a good venue. Excellent terrain and the local were very friendly. I also liked the placed wasn't all 'condoed out' like most resorts, no attittude, no security kicking out campers. I'm happy to to race there again.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
profro said:
The old course isn't so bad in the wet. Heck I've never raced it in the dry.
because you've always raced it in mid August, not early June. Sugar drains way better than Snowshoe for whatever scientific reason.

profro said:
The lifts.... I'll say this:

....one goes to the top, the other goes to the traditional DH start at the 3/4 station.
Both go to the top...open your eye...:sneaky:
profro said:
I'm sure Bituch will pipe in with his standard propaganda.
Oh..you mean my lack of pissing, whining and bitching? Odd, I always thought that was called positivity as opposed to propaganda.:thumb:
profro said:
They haven't had or have any experience at 4x or slolam, so I hope they draw on some of the great gated racing talent we have locally. Herndon, Hailey, Juan, Chuck, etc.
Yeah, I've recommended they use Mike Hartlove or Juan's expertise, but we'll see.

Oh and I think Motomike is right...the amount XC racers that will show up is going to be retarded, the entire states of Georgia and Florida now have a venue within driving distance. Those 2 states have two of the largest XC contingents in the country. I fully expect some flatland XC monster from FL to crush...

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
I think it would be a good idea if they would allow anyone who has qualified for National Champs in the past, and they are still in the category they qualified for, to be able to race.

DylanDeanDesign said:

actually brian head conflicts with crankworx again. funny thing is the crnakworx date was announced at the event this year, and they still couldnt figure that out

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
All I gotta say is that I hope the course in Sugar is legit. Butch I will hold you personally responsable if it sux.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Zman said:
actually brian head conflicts with crankworx again. funny thing is the crnakworx date was announced at the event this year, and they still couldnt figure that out

really? someone just told me it was the weekend before. july 27-30 or somethin like that. oh well...i'm not skipping crankworx for BH again if it is the same date

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
Cant Climb said:
Thanks for the optimistic input..........guys like you is just what the sport needs.....

are you kidding me.... i've put waaaaay to much time & effort into this sport. it's not the sport i'm pissed at...it's the organization (mainly norba/promoters/etc) they just haven't pulled through as they should. & i've got every damn right to be un-"optimistic" ....until they prove me wrong....the series is getting worse & worse every year.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Butch, a FL flatlander already crushes at nationals. Ryan Trebron raced jr. in Florida, and he was already 10 feet tall then. I think it is good to see a scaled-back schedule, and I'm guessing that Sugar is going to be the only race that makes any money, as they will have the highest turnout by far.

Now if they would only add back a midwestern national, we could actually call this a national series. The promoters might make some money too. Does anyone else remember how well run and well attended the MI, MN and Wi nationals all were? For XC those were some of my favorite events, and although I wasn't racing DH then I know a lot of my teamates really liked the MI DH track, and the WI one as well.
Considering Texas, the Southeast and the Midwest are still the 3 strongest areas for NORBA it always puzzles me why they don't have NMBS races where their fanbase is left...