Quantcast

2006 P.3 + Saint Cranks= bad chainline?

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
I tried to replace my creaking truvativ cranks on my 2006 P.3 with my Saint Cranks. No matter how I set it up, I had issues with spacing on the chainguide, or the chain line.

Has anyone tried Saint Cranks on the 06 P.3 (or 2)with sucess? what chain guide did you use?

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco
The 2006 P3 has an offset rear end. Saint cranks are designed for a 51mm chainline(if I remember correctly) I've personally tried about 6-7 different washer configurations on the setup. My conclusion was there was not an ideal fit with the Saint Cranks & the E-13 setup. (Any fit that worked resulted in poor chainline with the drive side crank spaced out)

I've spoken with reps from E.13 that confirmed this. The tech at Specialized wasn't any help either, as they claim the bike was designed & spec'd for the OEM set up. His exact words were "we're not a hop up shop."

Just curious if any one has tried different crank/ chain guide configurations on this frame...

I'm going to try setting the Saint cranks up with a Gamut guide this week and see if it is a fit..

Thanks,

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well my 2005 P3 I have a 113x73BB, FSA ISIS arms, E.13 guide bolted to the ISCG tabs......with 1 washer I think (maybe none) works fine.

Yes they all have that offset rear (so a dishless rear wheel). I found that out quickly LOL. But oh well once it's done it's done.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
pbr said:
unfortunetly, the 2006 P3 has been completely redesigned, so last years info doesn't apply. ..
Blah Blah Blah.............LOL

Would the newer P.3's and such have similar BB setups from the new Enduro/Demo's? I was gonna say I've seen lots of regular ISIS setups on those and XT cranks on some. Not many Saint's though........

Good luck though!

pbr

Chimp
Aug 18, 2003
San Francisco

the demo supposedly takes a different saint crank(the longerFC-M805), although a friend of mine said he got the m800 to fit his e13 guide after modifying the guide. to get the chainline i want, i would have to put the boomerang right agains the iscg mount. the problem with that was then it was pretty much rubbing the tire.

The demo, enduro and p3 all look to have the same width bb shell- 73mm.

the FC-M800 is supposedly for a 50.0mm chain line and according to Specialized the 06 P3 has a 57mm chain line. Something is off though, because on Shimano's site, they list the FC-M805 crankset for the 57.5mm chainline as the set up for an 83mm bb shell.

I guess ideally I would have a few hours and a stack of washers to play with a few more combinations.. I might try a gamut guide and see how it goes on.