Quantcast

2006 Parents of the Year

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/04/home.alone.ap/index.html

A husband and wife -- who found a dog sitter for their new puppies but left their 9-year-old son home to care for his younger autistic brother while they celebrated the new year in Las Vegas -- were arrested Wednesday, police said.

Jacob Calero and his wife, Michelle De la Vega, left Calero's sons -- Joshua, 9, and Jason, 5 -- at their San Ramon home early Friday while the newlyweds headed out of town for a five-day trip, police said.
Joshua said he and his brother ate cereal for breakfast and cooked frozen dinners in the microwave for lunch and dinner. He said his dad and stepmother left Friday morning while they were asleep. They had asked him to watch his younger brother, but didn't tell him where they were staying, he said.

"They shouldn't leave us alone," Joshua said, sitting in the living room of his grandmother's apartment. "I didn't know who I could call in an emergency. Even if I called my father, he's far away so there wouldn't be much he could do."

Joshua said the couple got each other puppies for Christmas and went so far as to bring the pug and the poodle-Maltese mix to De la Vega's mother before leaving town.

"I thought they loved them more than us," the boy said
:mumble:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Stories like this amaze me that adults actually do stuff like this.......

Those 2 boys need some real parents....hopefully they won't be shuttled off to the foster care system or anything like that.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
robdamanii said:
Good lord. It's 5 days in and already we have idiot of the year.
Well, techincally this couples' stupidly started in 2005, when they left for Vegas. Nonetheless, they will probably win the "idiots of the decade award," anyway. I just don't see how they could have a good time knowing that their kids were home alone. I mean, they were sober enough to find someone to watch the dogs...it's un-effing-believable!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
While these people deserve to be punched repeatedly in the face and body, unfortunately I have noticed a rash of children stories which have not turned out well.

At least no one was hurt.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MancilG said:
i dont see what all the fuss is about. 9 years old if old enough to baby-sit in my book

people need to relax
hey n00bie Dad, there's a couple of crucials bits you may have overlooked.

- the youngest is autistic
- the parents didn't tell them where they were going, left no contact number, and left while the kids WERE SLEEPING.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I'm astounded by what some people think is acceptable behavior when it comes to their children. Did you hear about the VA woman who recently punished her 3-year old son by holding him in scalding water and then not seeking any medical help for him until a week later? Disgusting.

This story reminded me of something that happened to my friend in HS. He woke up one morning and found a note on the table from his dad and mom that read "...went to New Zealand, we'll be back at the end of the month...here's $20 for food..." :eek:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MancilG said:
i dont see what all the fuss is about. 9 years old if old enough to baby-sit in my book

people need to relax

Are you serious?

You'd leave a 9 year old child in charge of a little kid (autistic or not), for five days and nights?

Regardless of the other circumstances which made this situation completely unacceptable (the youngest was autistic, the parents left at night, they had no emergency phone numbers, etc.), that right there isn't acceptable. I'm not sure I'd leave a 9 year old in charge of another human being for a day, let alone most of a week.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
binary visions said:

Are you serious?

You'd leave a 9 year old child in charge of a little kid (autistic or not), for five days and nights?

Regardless of the other circumstances which made this situation completely unacceptable (the youngest was autistic, the parents left at night, they had no emergency phone numbers, etc.), that right there isn't acceptable. I'm not sure I'd leave a 9 year old in charge of another human being for a day, let alone most of a week.
:stupid:
Hell, I still had a baby sitter when I was 9.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
binary visions said:
I'm not sure I'd leave a 9 year old in charge of another human being for a day, let alone most of a week.
And yet, we have a 9yo in charge of the country. Go figure.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MancilG said:

people need to relax
R U kidding? A nine year old is a good babysitter if you are the phone or have to cook dinner. I wouldn't trust a nine year old for babysitting by themselves for an hour, much less 5 days.