Quantcast

2006 Top Stock Bike Picks (Join In)

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Just curious what everyone's top picks for 2006 completely stock bikes are? Include the specifications or link, a picture, your riding location and style and why you're choosing that particular bike. If you can't afford a new ride, participate anyways, I don't think I'll be getting a 2006 this year as I don't have a minimum spending allowance of $2500 to get a nice ride, so I might shop the closeouts of 2005. But I thought it would be fun to get a collaboration of the new rides in one post with pics, peoples opinions, specifications, pricing, weight, and so forth. It would make for a good post, and helpful for those shopping the 2006 market.

I'll go first;
I'm diggin' the Santa Cruz Nomad for aggressive trail riding which is what I have around me. I wish I could comment on the bigger bikes as that's what I'm familiar with, and enjoy riding, but this year I'm stuck in the Midwest so for me, there's lots of pedaling to be had. I still want to keep my options open for when I do come across some sick terrain and I want to rip it, hence I'm looking for a 6 or 7 inch travel freeride bike that's still enjoyable to pedal. To be honest, I might be picking up a barely used 2004 Gemini 900 that my rich buddy has. It's been used 4 -5 times max. I was thinking about upgrading some things on it and shelling out around $1500 or so this year max, but still have a decent rig. But this is old news, so for 2006, if money was no object, and considering my riding options this upcoming season, something like the Santa cruz nomad would be tight. But I'm still leary on non-coil sprung suspension as I'm not a light dude. Anyhow, here's the link for the ride, and attached is the photo.

Hope to see some sick rides posted up. Lets keep it to the 2006 lineup, and if you have one already, post it, but if not, post a pic from the website, don't forget to state the reasons why you think it takes the "Ripper award" for 2006 for you and your situation.
As one fellow monkey stated, it looks like a goose taken a sh!t, lol, but it looks like it would be a great contender for those of us who still have to pedal.
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/nomad/

Attachments

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Nomad should be disqualified from the "Completely Stock" competition. SC frame kits are pretty flexible, for example, you could choose 7 different forks with a frame kit.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The new asx is really nice- ex729s, 36 van, dhx air or 5.

http://www.yeticycles.com/1_bikes/asx_work.html ^$3,059.00

Thats an awsome bike; my friend is considering getting one. Its way too much for me though. I am just going to get an Iron Horse 7.3. I will replace the manipoo (1" too low and a "manipoo") with an 03 super T. Then the rims with mavic ex 729s. I have a rear rim, so I will just buy a slightly used front wheel. I can't say this bike is good stock- the fork...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Thats an awsome bike; my friend is considering getting one. Its way too much for me though. I am just going to get an Iron Horse 7.3. I will replace the manipoo (1" too low and a "manipoo") with an 03 super T. Then the rims with mavic ex 729s. I have a rear rim, so I will just buy a slightly used front wheel. I can't say this bike is good stock- the fork...[/QUOTE]

too low??..thats what you want..keep your front end as low as possible

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
wydopen said:
Thats an awsome bike; my friend is considering getting one. Its way too much for me though. I am just going to get an Iron Horse 7.3. I will replace the manipoo (1" too low and a "manipoo") with an 03 super T. Then the rims with mavic ex 729s. I have a rear rim, so I will just buy a slightly used front wheel. I can't say this bike is good stock- the fork...
too low??..thats what you want..keep your front end as low as possible[/QUOTE]

It was designed around a 170mm fork. It will help the H angle. The other 7points come with 7" forks.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
'06 Kona Coilair

Frame tubing: Kona Clump Aluminum, 6" Travel
Rear Shock: Fox DHX Air 5.0
Fork: Fox 36 Talas RC2 150mm
Headset: FSA PIG
Crankarms: RaceFace ATLAS AM X-Type
Chainrings: RG/32/22 or 44/32/22
B/B: RaceFace ATLAS AM X-Type
Pedals: Jack**** Primo or Shimano PD-M540
Chain: Shimano CN-HG93
Freewheel: Shimano Deore XT CS-M760 11-32 9 speed
F/D: Shimano Deore XT
R/D: Shimano Deore XT
Shifters: Shimano Deore XT
Handlebar: RaceFace Evolve DH OS Riser
Stem: RaceFace Evolve DH OS
Grips: Kona Jack****
Brakes: Hayes Hydraulic Mag Ti Carbon V7
Brake Levers: Hayes Hydraulic Mag Ti Carbon V7
Front hub: KK Disc
Rear hub: Shimano XT Disc
Spokes: Stainless 14g
Tires: Maxxis Minion DH 26 x 2.35
Rims: Sun SingleTrack Welded
Saddle :WTB Pure V Race FR
Seatpost: RaceFace Evolve DH
Seat clamp: Kona QR

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
sanjuro said:
The Nomad should be disqualified from the "Completely Stock" competition. SC frame kits are pretty flexible, for example, you could choose 7 different forks with a frame kit.
I'm talking about the build that they have pictured.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
mtnbrider said:
The new asx is really nice- ex729s, 36 van, dhx air or 5.

http://www.yeticycles.com/1_bikes/asx_work.html ^$3,059.00

That ASX is siiiiiick!

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Not nessicarly new for 06' but if I could choose 2 bikes I would get a santa cruz blur 4x and a v10. If I could just choose one, I would probably get a vp-free! :love:

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Trek Session 10!!

10" rear travel, XO drive train, King early cockpit + wheels (super burl, but don't weight a ton), new Travis Intrisinc fork. Siiiick.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Well I asked for trail bikes, 6-7 inches, not full blown DH, that's one of the reason's, but it's cool that others are posting DH bikes too, some of those are just Str8 Pimpin'. Wish I had the terrain still to rip em:mumble:

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
I'm really liking this:

Yeah yeah, it's not an MTB, but fixie/free, with fenders & a nice steel frame? $500? That's hot. :drool: :drool: :drool:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
i haven't heard that much about those trek bikes, has anyone on here have had anyride time on it, or even seen them in person

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Not to worry, by the 10th page every mainstream rig designed for abuse will be named...

Here's my pick of the, lot damn worth the $1500 aus i paid.

size Regular:13.5”,Large:14.5"
colour Putty grey
user Freerider - for Street, Trail or Park riding
frame ALUXX alloy: double butted, integrated gusset w/CNC BB yoke
fork Rockshox Pike SL U-Turn w/Maxle 90-145mm/3.5-5.7”
crankset TruVativ Holzfeller ISIS splined 22/32T w/rock guard
bottombracket TruVativ Giga Pipe DHLT ISIS splined
derailleurs SRAM X-7 rear, Shimano Alivio front
derailleurshifters SRAM X-7 18speed triggers
cassette SRAM 11-34T 9speed
chain Shimano HG73
hubs Fr: Formula 20mm thru axle disc | Rr: Shimano Deore disc
rims Sun Rhyno Lite 26” x 36H w/eyelets
tyres Kenda K Rad 2.3”
brakes Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic w/6” rotors
pedals Alloy Platform
handlebar/stem Easton EA50 oversize bar/Easton Vice stem
seatpost SDG I Beam 30.9 freestyle
saddle SDG I Sky freestyle

Mines got the hotizar BB and 8" front rotor, thats the new stuff on the latest shipment.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA

FRAME Demo 8 FSR frame, super low center of gravity and standover with sub-seatstay actuated shock, full cartridge bearing pivots, 26" F/R wheel, 8" of travel with full chainguide and front derailleur compatibility, ISCG mount, rear derailleur protector, 26 and 24" wheel compatible with two geometry settings, 16.7" chainstay length, forged and CNC'd OS HT, Super ORE TT/DT, Demo tool

REAR SHOCK Fox DHX 5.0 coil 8.75"x2.75", adjustable rebound, ProPedal, bottom out control, IFP pressure

FORK Fox 40 RC2, 200mm travel, external rebound, hi/low speed compression adjustment, 20mm thru axle

HEADSET 1 1/8" alloy upper cup with OS bearing, 7050 alloy lower cup with 13mm insertion

STEM Truvativ Holzfeller, CNC stem, 40mm, 31.8 clamp

HANDLEBARS Specialized Demo rise bar, 6066 alloy, 31.8mm, 6 degree upsweep, 9 degree backsweep

GRIPS Specialized MTB grip, natural/black

FRONT BRAKE Avid Juicy 7, hydraulic disc, 8" Polygon rotor

REAR BRAKE Avid Juicy 7, hydraulic disc, 8" Polygon rotor

BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 7

REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.0 carbon, micro cage

SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X-9 Trigger, 9-speed

CASSETTE Shimano HG50, 9-speed, 12-25t

CHAIN SRAM PC-971 with Power Link

CRANKSET Truvativ Holzfeller with Blackspire DS-1 Lexan Guide, 170mm

CHAINRINGS 38T alloy, 4 bolt, compact 104mm pattern

BOTTOM BRACKET Truvativ Howitzer Team, oversize sealed outboard cartridge bearing, 73mm shell

PEDALS Lo-Pro Magnesium platform, removable pins, oversize Cr-Mo axle

RIMS Mavic EX721, 26", 36 hole

FRONT HUB Specialized disc, 36 hole, 20mm thru axle

REAR HUB Specialized disc, 36 hole bolt on axle, 135mm spacing

SPOKES 2.0 stainless, black, brass nipples

FRONT TIRE Specialized Chunder 26x2.3" 60 TPI, aramid bead, 2 ply, Butyl insert, soft compound

REAR TIRE Specialized Chunder 26x2.3" 60 TPI, aramid bead, 2 ply, Butyl insert, soft compound

TUBES Specialized 26x2.75, schraeder valve

SADDLE Specialized freeride light, 8mm hollow Cro-Mo rails w/X-Brace, super light foam

SEAT POST Syncros Derived 2-bolt, 30.9x330mm

SEAT BINDER 7050 hard annodized alloy collar with QR, 34.9mm clamp ID, black

NOTES Chain stay/seat stay protector, derailleur protector, Demo tool, reflectors, owners manual

ahhh sheet, almost done upgrading my 05 demo to match it :drool:

Mugger

Monkey
Dec 16, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
untitledsince89 said:
wow thats nice, 1500 aust.=how much american
1,500.00 AUD Australia Dollars = 1,105.94 USDU nited States Dollars

Probably wise to add on 400 bucks because I got a 400 dollers discount or preordering but you could get that a discount when paying cash.

Very hot bike.