Quantcast

2006 Vermont 50

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
  • stay @ a condo unit at ascutney.
  • dress warmly for the start; it's cold in those VT sept early mornings, and you do a lot of standing around until you are off.
  • either go like nuts for the holeshot, or stay back and let the pack disperse; actually, depending on the course, if it's an initial climb it will thin out accordingly. the race i did had a paved descent to start the race. stupid).

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
johnbryanpeters said:
We tented on the grounds last year - it sucked. You have to get up so early for the 6:30 AM start that getting breakfast is difficult to impossible, and by the time you're finished, you don't have the desire or energy to break camp.
We thought about tenting for about a minute. On another note-
was there anything that you forgot and wished you had or did you bring anything that was not really needed?

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
We went, we rode, we're broken. I think Herb met mogulskr - he talked to somebody representing with a RM jersey...
I did talk to someone who asked if I went to Monkeyfest. I didn't get his name though. It must have been Herb. I guess I missed you in your jersey JBP, sorry about that. Most of the time on the hills I was looking about a foot in front of my tire so I wouldn't see how long the hill was.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good job monkeys. One of the Bend Bella Cyclists here actually came out with her husband and did the race. Anyone have pics?

I took no pictures, but the one above characterizes the start of the race. Warm, muggy and humid. Enough rain prior days to make sections of the course from a little muddy to serious pits. It got worse as we got further into the course. In the afternoon we got both sunshine and a mild afternoon thunderstorm.

I got real tired this year, but unlike last suffered no cramping. Paid a lot of attention to drinking and eating at least a little at every checkpoint.

I finished six hundred and somethingth, 6th in class in 9:14, for what that's worth. pigboy ran about 7:30, Herb about 9:30.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I took no pictures, but the one above characterizes the start of the race. Warm, muggy and humid. Enough rain prior days to make sections of the course from a little muddy to serious pits. It got worse as we got further into the course. In the afternoon we got both sunshine and a mild afternoon thunderstorm.

I got real tired this year, but unlike last suffered no cramping. Paid a lot of attention to drinking and eating at least a little at every checkpoint.

I finished six hundred and somethingth, 6th in class in 9:14, for what that's worth. pigboy ran about 7:30, Herb about 9:30.
AWESOME!!! Congratulations! I would consider doing something like this in the future.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Good Job Guys !!

hey that looks like IAB!!! is that you mogulskr ?
Yeah that's me I think around mile 20 or so. My goal was to finish and I accomplished that. I think I was also six hundrend and something with a time of 8 hours and 45 minutes.

The first 25 miles were great I think we completed them in 3 hours. Then around mile 33 I had a rough time. I became really tired. Then came a thunderstorm which seemed to last about 15 minutes, but made it really difficult to control your bike.

Overall it was a great experience, as you always seem to have someone to ride and suffer with.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Local Vt 50 MTB Heroes, or at least people who I occassionally ride with:

Blanchet, Terry CASTLETON, NY 04:45:51 2 7 Expert/Veteran/Male

Nestor, Bryna TROY, NY 05:26:00 1 71 Expert/Senior II/Female