Quantcast

2007 888RC2X WC or 888SL ATA ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
i'm looking to buy one of these 2 forks for my Sunday
888RC2X WC or 888SL ATA
Anyone had ride time on these and what do you think of either fork.

Kind of liked the idea of the ATA travel adjustment to bring them
down closer to the height of a Boxxer since the Marz forks sit sligthly
higher than a boxxer.
But also like the set and forget of a Coil oil fork rather than mucking around with air pressures every ride.

Any help or opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
there seems to be alot of here say about them on many threads
not alot of actual fact to back up the here say

hopefully soon we will here some ride time reviews on them

by the way i'm about 110kg or 240lb so not sure if the air
would be a good option over the coil sprung 888
but like the adjustability that the SL ATA offers

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I posted in the other forum on my oil change of the WC. I would have gone air except that I drop and get a little weird on landings plus I will stick with the coil vs. for now. I weigh 226 now and it is great, It has a huge range of adjustments for different weight riders and that coupled with the oil level it is really easy to dial in.
Its only 200g heavier than the slata as well so it isn't alot heavier, plus it has Ti springs. (not that it makes a differnce aside of weight but its cool. :D)
I am not biased towards it compared to the air, I have ridden the WC and so I speak first hand for it.
It is super plush as well as adjustable with a HUGE range of settings that all make a difference.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
thanks BC ,
they sound awesome, do you think with the firm sprung version
of the 888RC2XWC they can be dialed in for someone
80 kg up to someone 110 kg and anywhere inbetween.
or would there be cut-off where you would need to got to the
standard TI sprung version since the firm springs would be too firm
to dial in properly for a lighter rider ?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Didn't you order an M3? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

I've heard pretty much nothing but goot things about the air, I say go for it. I trust Zoke as far as making a reliable product goes.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Didn't you order an M3? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

I've heard pretty much nothing but goot things about the air, I say go for it. I trust Zoke as far as making a reliable product goes.
yep, my good mate Toodles has that M3 now
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175586

I went back to the Sunday to relive the dream

i'm going for a Marz 888 fork this time just for the reliabilty and stiffer less flexy stanchions than a boxxer for my weight

cheers

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
thanks BC ,
they sound awesome, do you think with the firm sprung version
of the 888RC2XWC they can be dialed in for someone
80 kg up to someone 110 kg and anywhere inbetween.
or would there be cut-off where you would need to got to the
standard TI sprung version since the firm springs would be too firm
to dial in properly for a lighter rider ?
Youd be fine I run mine with 5-7 clicks of preload and 4 on the bottom out. It is really soft and I can go to the other spectrum with the preloads and a little more oil say 10cc's.

Do not run it if its 5-20 degrees far. outside, besides the fact your fingers go numb and eye's get frosty the fork is rigid. :D
I know any fork will be that way. :monkeydance:

I am not knocking or detouring your choice from the slata in any way, I looked at both and the choice for me this year is with out a doubt the WC, I loved the rc2x and this is smoother, lighter, sweeter looking (pending the white lowers AHAHAHAHEM! BRIAN!) and overall is just plain better IMO. I had the white 888 rc2x 06 version brand new and had it for 2 months. Rode the crud out of it and loved it, this rides better.

Not that I need or would want to but I can set the rebound all the way in and it moves back like a slug. REEEEEEEEEEEAL SLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW! Its kind of a useless cool thing. :D

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
BC,

Many many thanks for taking the time to help me out

sounds like the 888RX2X WC with the firm springs
is a good way to go especially with my weight , i currently am overweight at 240 lbs but with a season of riding can get down to 175lbs so looking for a fork that will accommadate that weight range

the SL ATA looks good for adjustability but not sure i trust the air
spring with my weight at the moment
and not sure how high a pressure those SL ATA'S max at
seeing the air chart only goes up to 200 lbs rider weight

Ti springs are not available aftermarket hence Marz putting out the
2 versions of the 888RC2XWC
one with standard Ti springs
one with firm Ti springs

not sure what you do if you want to run one std and one firm TI spring if you can't buy the Ti springs aftermarket,
guess you would have to run one steel spring
as all the steel springs are available aftermarket no probs.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
The SLata may only have ratings to 200 lb., but we are finding that you actually run about 1/2 the psi that is on the sticker. I doubt the SLata will have trouble with a 250 lb rider, but I haven't tested that yet.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Hey Scott,
I know you guys have had at least one 888 SL for quite a while now, as you guys posted one on a scale a few months ago, so...

any input from anyone riding it? Damping vs an RC2X? ability to tune out brake dive? Any chance Marz decided to make quality guts and annodize the insides to prevent rapid oil fouling?

Anyone??????

62kona

Chimp
May 1, 2008
SoCal!! San Fernando Valley
Hey Scott,
I know you guys have had at least one 888 SL for quite a while now, as you guys posted one on a scale a few months ago, so...

any input from anyone riding it? Damping vs an RC2X? ability to tune out brake dive? Any chance Marz decided to make quality guts and annodize the insides to prevent rapid oil fouling?

Anyone??????
I know this is OLD but I have an 07sl and was wondering how people who have tried both feel they compare.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I've had a 888 RC2X (non WC version) and currently ride a 888 ATA. It was a few weeks between when I sold my coil and got my air fork so I never got to ride them back to back but I can tell you both forks are dam supple.

My ATA has the PAR tether removed so you only need to put air in one side and not mess with two pressures. I will seep air over time but it's not like you need to check it every ride. They seem to run smoother with out the PAR too. Removing it made a world of difference on my xc bike that has a XC700 ATA. It was night and day how much stiction it removed.

I plan on keeping my SL for as long as it holds together. I've got spare stanchions and lowers so I should be good for a while.

If the dampening ever lets go a 07 SL ATA with the avalanche cart should be fantastic.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
had the 2007 sl ata for 3 years on my sunday
it was a great fork.
you will love it.
very stiff. very reliable. works really plush.