Quantcast

2007 Giant Reign X review

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
I've had mine for over a year and absolutely love it too, it's just amazing how capable the x1 is going downhill. I think you would probably be better of getting a complete bike and replacing some parts. If you're going to give the bike a beating some sturdier wheels might be in order, but most of the parts are going to take a lot of abuse, stem, crankset etc are really beefy.
I haven't had too much trouble dropping chains as well, but i put on a chainguide anyway since i hardly ever use the small ring. I'm using the mrp g2 and it fit perfectly without any modifications.
One more thing: the rear suspension is really, really good; your wheel is going to be glued to the ground which can make jumping a little more work than on other bikes, the x1 certainly does not "pop" like some single pivots out there.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
I've had mine for over a year and absolutely love it too, it's just amazing how capable the x1 is going downhill. I think you would probably be better of getting a complete bike and replacing some parts. If you're going to give the bike a beating some sturdier wheels might be in order, but most of the parts are going to take a lot of abuse, stem, crankset etc are really beefy.
I haven't had too much trouble dropping chains as well, but i put on a chainguide anyway since i hardly ever use the small ring. I'm using the mrp g2 and it fit perfectly without any modifications.
One more thing: the rear suspension is really, really good; your wheel is going to be glued to the ground which can make jumping a little more work than on other bikes, the x1 certainly does not "pop" like some single pivots out there.
I actually dissagree 100% with the Reign X1 inability to pop off jumps.

If your X1 isn't popping off jumps like a bat out of hell, then you're running your rebound too slow or using too low of a spring weight. Mine launches me further than any other bike I've owned including short travel single pivots.

The thing about the x1 is that it is so smooth that you don't get that sensation of "pop" but your are in fact getting more air ( if the shock and fork are set fast enough).

I've found the rear end can be ran really fast in rebound and not feel "bucky" at all.

As far as buying the complete bike. Go for it. Then replace the fork first with something like a Totem, Domain (180mm) or 66. Sell the stock Fox and then you might have enough to get a sturdy wheelset like the Transition Revolution set for under $300. Once you have a stronger wheelset, get some 2.5 Minions or Nevegals on there and you've got one killer mini-DH bike.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
What kind of issues are you guys running into with the DRS? It was a painless install for me.

f2f4-

I'd say buy the bike complete then swap out parts. Here's what I swapped out immediately -

Easton Vice 70mm - heavy and long
EA50 Hbar - heavy and narrow
RFace Crankset - heavy (stiff though)
WTB/Formula wheelset - not too bad, but I wouldn't depend on those hubs lasting all that long
SRAM cassette - nothing wrong with it, I just had an XTR I could use
LX derailleur - same as the cassette

Didn't wind up missing the propedal and bottom out adjustment on the DHX 3.0 like I thought I would. The Van R really needs a low speed compression adjuster to get it to match the rear though. If you can swing it you may want to swap it out, its not horrible by any means (I'm still running it) but you could do better. I did run into brake fade quite a bit doing DH runs. Move the 185mm rotor to the rear and put a 203mm rotor on the front if you have the same problem.

Oh yeah, the Avid hardware rusts easily.