Quantcast

2007 Giant Reign X review

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
So I’ve been on this thing for about a month now, and figured it was time to give a review. Still need to ride it in a few more places to get a full feel for it, and need to get the suspension dialed a bit better.

Spec:
Reign X frame 18” (built up from frameset only)
Marz ’06 66 sl @170mm
DHX 3.0 coil
Azonic Headlock
Bontrager Earl wheelset
Planet X Stem
Easton EA70 bars 685mm
Lizard Skins lock on grips
Sram x.7 shifters
Sram x.7 rear derailleur
Deore front derailleur
Avid Juicy 5 brakes
Giant internal headset
Truvativ Holzfeller crankset
Truvativ Howitzer BB
Crank Bros Mallet C pedals
E.13 DRS
WTB Speed V seat
Bontrager Select seatpost
Shimano crap cassette
Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3 front tire
Hutchinson Piranha 2.3 rear tire

Misc Measurements:

Frame weight: 9.0 Lbs exactly with shock (no headset)
BB height: 13.8"
Wheelbase: almost 45.5" exactly

Weight: a hefty 38.8 lbs

Future upgrades: Thomson stem, XT cassette, full tubeless setup, 8” rotors, wider bars, Roco TST rear shock, possibly lighter pedals

The ride:

Climbing:
Does surprisingly well for what it is. The internal headset helps keep the front end low, and I actually have room drop my bars further. The rear end keeps traction very well, both seated and standing. The long(er) chainstays and rearward axle path help keep you from looping out as well. Much better than my old enduro. The weight is definitely noticeable, but not a big deal for this kind of bike. Definitely some pedal feedback in the granny ring over rocky terrain… will get into that more later

Pedaling: Pedals VERY well. While seated, there is zero bob whatsoever. While standing, I probably use .5-1” of suspension while sprinting. This thing seriously pedals like a stiff 4x fully. Even with an intentionally choppy pedal stroke, the Reign X maintains very minimal bob. However, while in the granny ring going uphill, there is definitely pedal feedback. It is most noticeable over big rock ledges and such, and isn’t really an issue on smoother trails. The only time is is actually a problem is when my legs are beat from riding and don’t have the power to overcome the chain tug. Otherwise, it is just something you notice, rather than being an actual hinderance. The feedback is easily countered by some leg power. Also, it totally goes away in the larger ring (I run 22-36). It should be noted that my sag is not dialed yet, I need to experiment with different spring weights.

Descending: The reign X is amazing on the downhills. The Maestro feels soo much better than my previous M1 and Enduro. Soaks up square edge hits and large rocks extremely well. I can just blast horrible lines and come out great. Pretty much a mini DH bike (like so many are asking for these days…) I still need to get my suspension dialed, but small bumps and such are a non issue currently. I could use some more small bump compliance, but not a big deal. The fairly slack headangle (around 66.5 deg on mine) feels great on all the trails I’ve ridden so far… nimble enough to handle switchbacks well, but slack enough to take high speeds with ease. We’ll have to see how it handles the super fast and choppy stuff at Keystone, but I’m not worried about it. The low BB gives you the feeling of being in the bike, rather than on. It just feels super comfortable and natural, low and slack.

Cornering:
This thing has improved my cornering already. The low BB, low COG, and grippy tires inspire so much confidence in the turns. The bike maintains traction well, and the lower handlebars help keep the front end weighted just enough to not worry about it. Basically just lean and go…the reign x drifts predictably (these hutchinson’s help a lot with that), and is easy to steer in the right direction. There is a nice balance between front and rear weight bias.

Jumping: Haven’t done a whole lot of jumping on this bike, but from what I can tell it will be killer. Rode a buddy’s Glory on some nice DH bike jumps, and it jumped pretty well for a 9” DH race machine. The Reign has a lively feel, so I’m guessing it will be right at home in the air.

Overall handling: A very well balanced bike. It is somewhat difficult to manual, mainly due to the initial rearward axle path, but once you learn the bike it isn’t bad. It is really easy to maneuver your body around this frame to get it to do what you want. Not the typical DH ‘bike is riding you “ feel, but rather you control the Reign X, while it worries about the terrain. Very easy to handle in all situations. The low standover is great (although mine has the XC seatpost in the pictures), you can really more the bike around. It should also be said that the tires rule. I didn’t think much of Hutchinson before (was all maxxis), but these things are super predictable and grippy.

Complaints: Seatpost range of adjustment could be better, but it still gets plenty high enough for the climbs and slams low enough for the descents. However, I will throw on a shorter post for the resort stuff and jumping. As mentioned above, the pedal feedback can be annoying. But it is a small price to pay for an otherwise killer suspension. Also, I have an older style DRS and had to dremel the hell out of it to get it anywhere close to right...which explains why it still isn't dialed. The holes also came nohwhere close to mounting, but I guess that's the difference between ISCG05 and earlier.

Some bad pictures (not much of a photographer):

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thanks for the write up. What are your thoughts on the DHX 3.0? Do you find yourself wishing you had the compression adjustments or is it not an issue?

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
can you not mount the drs behind the b.b. shell?... not using the ISCG's tabs... I would do this if you can.... you may need to take some material off the top of the roller guard spacer plates to help get better rotation since the bike has somewhat dropped stays....

ISCG 05 has a larger diameter or circumference... not just the holes clocked differently it's actually bigger around

just some thoughts... Sick bike have fun! Get some riding pics up!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
love that frame. you could easily get that thing down to the low 30s with a more expensive but lighter build. i'd like to take one for a test ride sometime. it seems like a really fun bike, long and low for DH racing but versatile enough to ride all mountain and some burly freeride stuff as well. the only thing i would advise against on your list of improvements is getting the coil rear shock. i know that most people, including myself, love the feel of a coil, but fox has revamped the dhx air to feel much better, and with marzocchi releasing the air roco, you may want to go with one of those. the roco has a massive air chamber, so some of the people that have reviewed it think it feels more like a coil than any air rear shock to date. decline reviewed the 08 fox stuff, and they said the dhx air has much better performance than any of the past years. just some things to consider.

Biter

Chimp
Jun 23, 2006
I love my Reign X1, its light and rips berms. I put on some 729's on hope hubs, god, its sick.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Thanks for the positive comments

Thanks for the write up. What are your thoughts on the DHX 3.0? Do you find yourself wishing you had the compression adjustments or is it not an issue?
Well as far as performance goes, it seems great. But I am having a hard time matching the front to the rear, feel wise. It seems like some more adjustment could be handy, but the stock settings are pretty decent for me.

castle said:
can you not mount the drs behind the b.b. shell?... not using the ISCG's tabs... I would do this if you can.... you may need to take some material off the top of the roller guard spacer plates to help get better rotation since the bike has somewhat dropped stays....

ISCG 05 has a larger diameter or circumference... not just the holes clocked differently it's actually bigger around

just some thoughts... Sick bike have fun! Get some riding pics up!
I actually ended up mounting the DRS behind the shell, so it worked out. Still needs a bit more dremeling to get it rotated right

ZHendo said:
love that frame. you could easily get that thing down to the low 30s with a more expensive but lighter build. i'd like to take one for a test ride sometime. it seems like a really fun bike, long and low for DH racing but versatile enough to ride all mountain and some burly freeride stuff as well. the only thing i would advise against on your list of improvements is getting the coil rear shock. i know that most people, including myself, love the feel of a coil, but fox has revamped the dhx air to feel much better, and with marzocchi releasing the air roco, you may want to go with one of those. the roco has a massive air chamber, so some of the people that have reviewed it think it feels more like a coil than any air rear shock to date. decline reviewed the 08 fox stuff, and they said the dhx air has much better performance than any of the past years. just some things to consider.
Actually, the 08 Roco TST Air has me really interested. If it performs well, it'd definitely be my top choice. I don't know about low 30's, but mid 30's is definitely doable in the fairly near future.

This frame definitely kicks ass though.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
A guy I know is going to buy a frame but isn't quite sure if he should get a Totem or a Lyric for it. Will it be too high in the BB and too slack with the Totem? He's also going to do some XC onnit, except for DH/agro trail riding.

Also, what seat post clamp diameter is it??

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I just bought one yesterday. Stays and wheelbase are fairly long (measured: 45"/17.25") and the bb is extemely low (13.6" stock), so a tall fork up front should be fine.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
rockwool said:
A guy I know is going to buy a frame but isn't quite sure if he should get a Totem or a Lyric for it. Will it be too high in the BB and too slack with the Totem? He's also going to do some XC onnit, except for DH/agro trail riding.
The best thing that I did when I built my Turner RFX was to put a 66 Light on it. It has the ETA (external travel adjustment). Basically you flip a knob, push down on the fork and it drops your front end about 4" and keeps it there...works like a freakin' dream for climbing.

I'd suggest getting the RS fork that has a travel adjust option (i'm not an RS guy...so I'll leave it up to you to figure it out...)

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA

Also, what seat post clamp diameter is it??

Probably neither too tall or too slack with the totem...but it will suck to climb on it. I definitely wish i had a quick travel adjust on my 66sl. The totem 2 step would be pretty killer though. However, the lyric u-turn would probably be the best choice. Keep stock geometry (or very close to it), and get the full u-turn travel adjust.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Probably neither too tall or too slack with the totem...but it will suck to climb on it. I definitely wish i had a quick travel adjust on my 66sl. The totem 2 step would be pretty killer though. However, the lyric u-turn would probably be the best choice. Keep stock geometry (or very close to it), and get the full u-turn travel adjust.
I think the Totem might be a little too tall. It's already at 67 degrees with the Fox 160mm. The 2 step would not allow for fine tuning the travel for perfection. Plus, I think the Totem is too much fork to justify it for any 1 1/8 steer tube.

I personally think the Lyrik Uturn would be the best and most reliable travel adjustable fork for the Reign X. It's the next fork going onto my Reign X.

Rockshox is freakin retarded for not giving us a Uturn Totem.

2006 Boxxer ride would also be a sweet combo with the X1. Loved that fork. Kick myself every ride for selling it. Ability to adjust travel and ride hieght. Although it does weigh a lot for trail riding.

trailmax

Chimp
Jul 11, 2007
This question been asked before, but never answered, so I will reiterate:

What size is the seatpost? BB-shell? bb-axis?

thanks in advance

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for the review. I'll be looking at a new bike later this year and the Reign X1 is a consideration. I'm waiting for the 2008 models to come out and then I plan on a test ride at a local shop.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Im looking at a Reign X1 right now at the LBS. It was marked at $2600 a few months ago and its on sale for $1999. I was thinking of getting it for my wife as a DH bike and I could use it for a trail bike. She currently rides a 05 Big Hit with a 03 Super T and an Avy in the rear. The bike is just too heavy for her at 43 lbs. Im thinking the Reign would be a better bike for her.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
That's probably a close out price because the 2008 models are rolling out very soon. Giant has already started shipping some 2008 bikes. Get it for cheap while you can.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Im looking at a Reign X1 right now at the LBS. It was marked at $2600 a few months ago and its on sale for $1999. I was thinking of getting it for my wife as a DH bike and I could use it for a trail bike. She currently rides a 05 Big Hit with a 03 Super T and an Avy in the rear. The bike is just too heavy for her at 43 lbs. Im thinking the Reign would be a better bike for her.
Did you pick it up? That's a killer deal

AlexB

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
I just got my 2008 Reign X1 today. I work at a shop and was able to get it basically the day they started shipping. This bike is hands down one of the best freeride bikes you can buy for the price.

I'll be posting pictures and a review shortly.

fthefox

Chimp
Oct 29, 2007
Hi there,

I have already asked this question on MTBR forum. I plan on putting a 36 Talas up front and lighten this puppy (wheels, cockpit, crankset, tires). Do you think I can get it close to 30 lbs? What's the weight for a 18'' out of the box?

I want to get the weight down because I need to pedal it through single track and long uphills. The Talas should allow me to be much more confortable going up.

I come from XC. I already have a 5'' bike, an ETSX. Not burly enough though to go on the other side a of the mountain quick and jump it a bit. It is a long travel xc bike.

Somebody suggested that the Reign 0 with a 36 TAlas up front would be my ticket. I just wonder if I should not just jump on the XO right away not to have any regrets 2 years down the road.

I am not familiar with that kind of bikes. There is a large offering (Nomad, 6.6, Moment, Foe, RFX and Giant XO now). I need something I can still use as a trail bike.

Thanks for the replies.

F

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Giant held a day at mountain creek the a few weeks ago. It was to bring in bicycle shop owners and employees to get them out on their bikes. first we sat and learned about them, then we got to test them on the mountain. I have never been a huge fan of Giant I never though there bikes were so great.. until that day a few weekes ago. I got to trash/i mean test the reign x and the trance x. I learned all about the money invested in the technology to make each bike better. And it works. The bikes felt great, the pedalled amazingly. the were comfortable right of the start. The prices are good . I tell ya I have to really recommend the reign over a lot of other higher priced bikes.. Good job Giant!!

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Just got my 08 reign X, new color is Hawt! Should have it built in a month or so, just in time for winter..

f2f4

Chimp
Apr 16, 2008
Central Jersey
Didn't want to start a new thread, since my question is about the 08 Reign X... to those who have had it for awhile, have you had any issues with ovalization of the headtube?

Reason I ask is because I am wanting to buy a Reign X1 for FR/DH/some DJ, and I noticed that it has a 1 1/8 head instead of the 1.5 I see a lot of other rides coming with.
Would I be alright doing a lot of drops (to flat) at 6 ft, and the (very) occasional at 10 or a little above?

Other than that Reign X looks spot on, so I wanted to ask.
I was really thinking about a Glory, but the thing is 10 LBS heavier...

EDIT: I weigh 155, so around 170 with all my gear on I guess. 5'11.

AlexB

Chimp
Aug 3, 2007
I haven't had any problems with my Reign X1 as of yet. I question your need to do 6 foot drops to flat? Planning on dropping off some walls?

I would encourage you to get a glory if you want to do more freeriding with the bike. This bike can take freeriding, shuttling, but it's not going to last as long put under these stresses compared to glory.

PM me if you want more details or have any more questions.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've had mine almost a year now with no headtube ovalization issues. Drops to transition in the 6-10 foot range are no problem, however I don't do drops to flat so I can't comment there.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
No ovalization problems with mine either after 1year+, and I've beat on it HARD. Bottomed the piss out of it on a regular basis, and completely trashed the old wheelset. Frame is still kicking though. Although drops to flat will stress it differently than I did, so not sure their either.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
No bike should be made to do 6 foot to flat. It would require a too overly sprung bike, and suck for anything else. Although, I've botched some jumps that left me around 5 foot to flat, and no harsh bottom out.

A Reign X can be built up as a mini-DH bike. There are a lot of people running 180mm forks on them, including myself. Never once heard of a single ovalized head tube, let alone any broken frames.

Mine is built to the teeth with FR parts similar to what you would find on an IronHorse 7 point. My x1 feels just as solid as the 7 points I've tried and feels like just as much travel too.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I've had mine built for two weeks or so, 08 Reign X in a 20'. Put a Roco TST w/ TI coil and a 55 TST Micro fork up front w/ the ETA feature. Also have stans strips on the 5.1's and an XT hub in the rear and Onyx up front. Sunline V-one bar, Juicy 7's, Thomson 4x stem, RF evolve XC cranks, shadow XT shifters and rear der. Thomson post, WTB Stout 2.35 tires. I also have a pair of Outlaws with Dual Ply's and tubes for heavier riding. Only one solid 3 hour ride so far, but I am impressed. Everything I wanted from my Old Reign (lower, coil). Descends like a DH but still climbs extremely well, I am really digging the TST feature on the rear, still gives you enough to grip but really firms up the rear end for those long PITA climbs. I need to dial the suspension in more though. I think mine is around 34 lbs right now..

Do you guys think the DRS is a total necessity?? I had trouble mounting mine and just went w/out for now...

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Do you guys think the DRS is a total necessity?? I had trouble mounting mine and just went w/out for now...
Probably not, if you have a decent bash guard. All a DRS really does is add tension to the chain, rather than really guiding the top part. Mine was a pain to mount as well.

Though after a 1yr+ of running a DRS, I switched to a SRS guide w/a 34T guide ring. 11-34 in back. 1:1 gearing is enough to get me up these Colorado climbs, and it is much more secure and quieter than the DRS. Something to think about

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
I've had mine built for two weeks or so, 08 Reign X in a 20'. Put a Roco TST w/ TI coil and a 55 TST Micro fork up front w/ the ETA feature. Also have stans strips on the 5.1's and an XT hub in the rear and Onyx up front. Sunline V-one bar, Juicy 7's, Thomson 4x stem, RF evolve XC cranks, shadow XT shifters and rear der. Thomson post, WTB Stout 2.35 tires. I also have a pair of Outlaws with Dual Ply's and tubes for heavier riding. Only one solid 3 hour ride so far, but I am impressed. Everything I wanted from my Old Reign (lower, coil). Descends like a DH but still climbs extremely well, I am really digging the TST feature on the rear, still gives you enough to grip but really firms up the rear end for those long PITA climbs. I need to dial the suspension in more though. I think mine is around 34 lbs right now..

Nice bike!

I just put a Roco TsT on mine too. Freakin blows away the DHX.
Isn't it crazy how efficient this bike is with the TST turned about half way up?
I've found mine works the best (even for fast DH) in the second setting from full open.
I can't wait to see how much better it gets when PUSH does some work on mine... :)

I haven't been running a chain guide for the 10 months I've had mine. Never once dropped a chain using a 22-34-bash. I just made sure there wasn't any extra chain, and it holds great even on gnarly DH.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Yup, so excited to open the bike up on some Sustained DH trail, I've also preferred the middle TST setting on the rear shock, perfect IMO. Now I need more trail to dry!!!

f2f4

Chimp
Apr 16, 2008
Central Jersey
No bike should be made to do 6 foot to flat. It would require a too overly sprung bike, and suck for anything else. Although, I've botched some jumps that left me around 5 foot to flat, and no harsh bottom out.
My fault. I see all these awesome pics in the DJ and FR forums, and it looks around six feet. Although I guess that's a transition. I figured the difference was small, but I guess not. My bad. :D

Let me put it this way: Do you think a Reign X1 would be able to handle me riding Diablo every weekend? (170 w/ gear)
I like air and going fast. :)
I'm about smack in the middle of the scale as far as "smoothness" goes. I just need something durable enough for me to screw up a bit as I learn the bigger jumps/drops...

Thanks again you guys for putting up with me. I'd ride a bunch of these bikes I'm looking at online, but... I swear, there isn't a single damn bike shop in the middle east! I can't wait to get back stateside! <3

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
My fault. I see all these awesome pics in the DJ and FR forums, and it looks around six feet. Although I guess that's a transition. I figured the difference was small, but I guess not. My bad. :D

Let me put it this way: Do you think a Reign X1 would be able to handle me riding Diablo every weekend? (170 w/ gear)
I like air and going fast. :)
I'm about smack in the middle of the scale as far as "smoothness" goes. I just need something durable enough for me to screw up a bit as I learn the bigger jumps/drops...

Thanks again you guys for putting up with me. I'd ride a bunch of these bikes I'm looking at online, but... I swear, there isn't a single damn bike shop in the middle east! I can't wait to get back stateside! <3
In stock form (whole bike), the X1 might take a bit of a beating. (the parts, not the frame) Since it is specced with more AM parts.

On the other hand, buy just the frame and get FR parts on there (180mm fork is ideal) and it will handle Diablo without even flinching. Like I said before, this bike feels sturdier and plusher than most FR bikes. In terms of high speeds and getting air, I can't imagine a bike gets any better than the Reign x1.

The great thing about the x1 is that you can DH and Uphill it with the same build.

f2f4

Chimp
Apr 16, 2008
Central Jersey
Do you think I should buy the X1 package, and just replace parts as I see fit? Or would I need to replace so much that I would save money and injury by just building it up myself?
My LBS can get me the X1 for around $2,200.

So far, my budget (including a decent/nice FF helmet and some basic armor and a new maintenance stand) is $3k.