Quantcast

2007 Iron Horse

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
I didn't even know there were two 6" IH bikes.

The 6 point (bike pictured) is the one I was refering to.

I wrote: "actually produce it" because I know the 7.9 never made it out in 06...

And these pictures didn't look too official. So, I figured it might just be a concept/proto bike still. Looks promising though.

BJ-

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Australia
Eren said:
^^true that, haha but looky looky what i found, its amazing what you can find when you bored out of your mind, the new 07 factory iron horse, i believe.

tell me if this isnt the 07, though i thiiiink it is the factory 07 bike.
From what i was told. The gold Sunday Factory that you posted is from a limited edition batch of Sundays, Ironhorse built up and sent out to all there team riders for this years worlds.

Props to Ironhorse. Thats a pretty nice/encouraging good luck gift if you ask me.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Please god tell me that the 07 Sunday hardware will retrofit. I love my Sunday but have had never ending trouble with the pins and reducers.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
SpasticJack said:
Please god tell me that the 07 Sunday hardware will retrofit. I love my Sunday but have had never ending trouble with the pins and reducers.
I think the 07 has been change to 10mm screw on the eyelet. I have a 06 Sunday and I has been changed to 8 mm screw. It work and lock much better than the orginal screw. Looking forward to see the 07 bike in action!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
SpasticJack said:
The whole 07 link kit will retrofit to an 05 or 06 Sunday. THey will be available from IH and include:

forged 7075 T6 curved upper links
forged 7075 T6 upper link crossbrace and hardware
forged 7075 T6 lower link which fits DHX/ ROCO
bolt-in main pivots
10MIL standard (10mm shock hardware with an automatic frame centering design)
Sunday Specific 10MIL lower hardware that pinches directly on the lower shock hardware
Iron Horse designed Enduro 6903 and 6902 MAX-E bearings with integrated bearing spacers for ease of assembly

I have no clue at all what the cost will be.

Hope this helps!

Dave

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
why should there be any costs involved ? if there is a problem that was created by ironhorse with the 05-06 bikes ,why should people pay for it ?
for ironhorse sake ,i hope it will be resolved under warrenty ,no frame should come with play from the factory !!! and no rider should pay for a company's flawed design !!!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Full 07 line info will be released at Eurobike show on Aug 31. USA pricing will be announced at Interbike.

07 link kits should be available in the fall. A final price is still to be determined.

And to answer sernor freerider, there is no freebies on this link kit. The 05/06 links are fine and free of any defect. Any play issues lie not in the links or design but in the tolerance QC from shock vendors. Iron Horse has provided tighter tolerance hardware and "big bolts" for riders with 05/06 Sunday models.

-ska todd

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
ska todd said:
And to answer sernor freerider, there is no freebies on this link kit. The 05/06 links are fine and free of any defect. Any play issues lie not in the links or design but in the tolerance QC from shock vendors. Iron Horse has provided tighter tolerance hardware and "big bolts" for riders with 05/06 Sunday models.
No offence, and go ahead and flame me fellow ridemonkeys, but that is soooo lame pushing the issue onto fox and 5th.

I don't know of many other DH bikes that have had the tolerance issues of the sunday (and SGS before that). Seems to be a issue of design more then QC of bushings which IH had 2 years to get on top of (3 years if you count the SGS) and have resolved by a complete re-design of the links and bushing system. If that is not a design problem i don't know what is?

Its not just the sunday that had problems either, my mates 04 SGS had shock / link / bushing play it in from the first day he rode it.

I don't think i know anyone who owns a 04-06 iron horse DH bike that didn't have excessive play in the rear end.

If i bought a 06 sunday i would be really peed off after it being said all QC issues from the 05 model were resolved. It hasn't happened. Now we are told it will be fixed for 07 models. Well, lets just wait and see.......

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Cave Dweller said:
No offence, and go ahead and flame me fellow ridemonkeys, but that is soooo lame pushing the issue onto fox and 5th.
Why is it Iron Horse's fault? They didn't build the hardware. I.H. can't control what another company builds.

The way I see it, they couldn't get anyone else to do it right so they had to build it themselves for 2007.

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
New Zealand
Salami said:
Why is it Iron Horse's fault? They didn't build the hardware. I.H. can't control what another company builds.

The way I see it, they couldn't get anyone else to do it right so they had to build it themselves for 2007.
The customer buys the bike from Ironhorse - not some 3rd level vendor.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Salami said:

Come on mate, 2 years this has been a problem. Are you saying it takes 2 years to make sure that shock hardware is up to spec? Iron horse put together and spec the bike, the problem lies with IH imo.

Do other bikes that use 5th element and DHX shocks have the same issues? If every bike had the same issue and it could then be blamed on the shock makers, but thats not the case.

Even the new hardware issued by IH to fix the problem still flogged out when people put it in.

The issue, IMO, was the design and interface of the links. They should always of had curved links like on turners, not that little shuttle/stiffener they had. If the spacers were not 100% accurate there was always going to be side to side play, and they will never be perfect, this is a bike not a spacecraft, the design should have allowed for that. Hence you ended up with side to side play.

The other thing to consider is that the bushings in a design like that get flogged as they move alot. Check out how specialized SX and demos fix the problem, they put in sperical bearings to reduce the amount of movement on the bushings. This is where the sunday ended up with up and down play. Im not sure that ditching the spacers and running the bushings on 10mm shock pins will solve the problem but im willing to keep an open mind seeing i have not seen them in person yet.

Im not putting crap on IH, every bike has its issues (nothing is perfect) im just saying dumping it on shock makers is lame.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
idk about anyone else, but my 05 IH Yakuza Ojiki, had some shock play from the factory, and when i called IH they had no solution at hand, so i ended up jsut having yo get new bushings/ hardware

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
The reducer hardware I can understand being a deficiency of the shock vendor but my Sunday was shipped with undersized spacers for both ends of the lower link.

boozy1976

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
world-euro-ger-bavaria-munich
as dweller said:
the play issue comes from the pins which do NOT clamp the shockaxle.
this (if you do not have an accuracy of 0.01 in manufacturing) leads to play.
my mates v 10 had play as he tightened the shockbolts as SC described. he then really pounded the wrench and the play was gone.
so i bought a bolt for my sunday, clamped it and the play was gone
Prost

RaID

Turbo Monkey
boozy1976 said:
as dweller said:
the play issue comes from the pins which do NOT clamp the shockaxle.
this (if you do not have an accuracy of 0.01 in manufacturing) leads to play.
my mates v 10 had play as he tightened the shockbolts as SC described. he then really pounded teh wrench and the play was gone.
so i bought a bolt for my sunday claped it
and the play was gone
Prost
Exactly what solved my problem on the sunday,mind you the local ironhorse dealer has made up custom pins which basically have the same effect.

Its a pity such a great bike gets such a bad wrap due to a small deficiency in some bikes, but i understand how this movement can annoy everyone

RaID

Turbo Monkey
dw said:
The whole 07 link kit will retrofit to an 05 or 06 Sunday. THey will be available from IH and include:

bolt-in main pivots
Sunday Specific 10MIL lower hardware that pinches directly on the lower shock hardware
Iron Horse designed Enduro 6903 and 6902 MAX-E bearings with integrated bearing spacers for ease of assembly

Hope this helps!

Dave
What are the benefits of the new links besides "solving" the pin problem?
how does it change the ride characteristics at all?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
RaID said:
What are the benefits of the new links besides "solving" the pin problem?
how does it change the ride characteristics at all?
lighter, stronger, easier assembly, less parts, fits more shocks, looks cooler, uhmmm... yeah, thats it.

Ride characteristics are unchanged.

Dave

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Cave Dweller said:
The issue, IMO, was the design and interface of the links. They should always of had curved links like on turners, not that little shuttle/stiffener they had.
Are you talking about the DHR? I seem to remember the DHR having some similar hardware issues. :think:

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Tenacious Doug said:
Not so! A very few made it out the factory, as I understand it possibly mainly to Europe??

Here is a pic of one I sold to a customer of mine.
OMG. That was funny.

One made it to Europe ?

I guess I stand corrected.

Let the record show that at least ONE was made (& its in Europe someplace)

:love:

PS: I want one.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
The pin issue was solved on my 06 WC and Elite frames. That is- I had no hardware related problems on my 06 frames. I will point out that i have still found a lot of other 06 frames which have problems (both the Fox Elite and WC modles and the 5th element Team model. I find it surprising that IH point the finger at the shock manufacturers when the problem seems to be from most manufacturers, yet other brands which use the same shocks don't have problems. Either IH are lieing or they sent someone the wrong specs (I have to settle on my first theory, as if they sent out the wrong specs then ALL the bikes would have the problem). It makes no sense that the shock manufacturers are at fault when you think about it, because the problem is isolated to Ironhorse, and not only that, the problem carries through a lot of their frames (7 points and MK3's also have the problem, not to mention even the old Hollowpoint MTX frames).

On a different note, (still hardware related), I have had 4 Sunday frames (1 05 Factory, 1 06 WC and 2 06 Elites) and each frame came with different hardware on the upper linkage. Of the 4 frames, i only had issues with the 05 Factory hardware, and it seemed that even though it had been upgraded by IH to the same as on my 06 frames, it still had the problem. Whether or not it was solely due to the 5th element shock or the linkage plates on the 05 frame, i don't know, but i just found it odd. Eventually i had a custom bolt made which took about 20 minutes with a hammer to install, but surprisingly i never had the problem with play again.

If IH could sort out frames that weren't defective (I now know of 3 locally - 1 16" WC that was cracked out of the box, my 19" WC that had no shock spring clearance and my 17" Sunday Elite that had a misaligned bb shell. As for 05 ones i only know of 1 other defective frame- this one had multiple cracks in all the welds after a month of riding). Thats 4 frames with issues that need to be sorted out, and unfortunately, while IH have amazing customer service (thanks to their presence on what seems like most forums), it's quite frustrating having a "not quite right" frame. I sold mine, and basically i don't plan on going back to IH again, as the build quality is pathetic. I hope for the companies sake that they can sort out some reliable frames for the 07 model year.

I hate to bag out Todd and DW, but I don't think we're getting the whole story here. Clearly a "hardware problem" can be a "problem" on one model for one season. But when it stays as "problem" for two seasons, across sevral models, thats clearly a major error. And when there are a fair few* problematic frames, not just with hardware, but frames that are actually built badly then there are some ridiculously big issues. On the upside, IH do follow through with their warranties (see above), but this doesn't solve the problems.

*I say a fair few: when I have had 2 faulty frames (personnally), seen another 1 (in my LBS) and been told of another one with a problem (again, my lbs) then thats 4 frames. 4 frames in a small area (this is one shop in Sydney) is an amazing coincidence. And when an even bigger Sydney shop (now an ex-IH dealer) drops the brand because they're "fed up with fixxing the f**kin things" (to quote the owner), it must be the biggest coincidence out there.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I agree with you and Cave. Just based on all the threads here over the last two years, there seems to be a problem that someone just is not willing to admit to.You do know that saying that kind of thing around here could get you tarrred and feathered though.:)

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
4 frames does seem like a whole load of trouble but.....
I work for a shop who in previous years imoprted Iron Horse bikes. All the 7 points sundays and MKIIIs needed shock hardware replaced in 2005. In 2006 some of them needed replaced.
I have in 2.5 years of selling the bikes/frames not had a single warranty issue with the bikes cracking or any other problem. So long as the bikes had defective hardware replaced BEFORE being sold I never saw a single bike come back.
I have never dealt with a brand who have had such a reputable frame. A return rate of Zero made my job easier.

Perhaps Daver was unlucky. Perhaps I was just lucky, who knows......Just thought I would give some good feedback!

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
dw said:

bolt-in main pivots

Hope this helps!

Dave

anyone know if the new 7points will have upgraded hardware? Kits available for older 7points?