Quantcast

2007 Ironhorse Sunday Team no name hubs brand ?

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
I'm trying to find out what brand the no name hubs are that come
with the 2007 Ironhorse Sunday Team complete bike
i think they are the same no name hubs that came on the 06
Sunday Team complete as well.

They are just ano black with no name badged anywhere on them ?

Are they any good ?

If they are pretty decent i'll keep them otherwise
i'll swap them out at point of sale

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Never really had any problems with them. We sold a bunch of Teams and never really had anyone complain about them. I believe they're Formulas(just like most no name oem hubs)

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
just got the word up from Todd
many thanks to Todd for all his help and great service

"The hubs are manufactured by a Taiwan supplier named King Kong. They make a lot of hubs for various brands.

Here’s the complete info:

FRONT HUB
KING KONG
鉅邦
GTH5, 20MM X 110MM THRU AXLE, 32H, BLACK, SEALED BEARING, BLK, W/O AXLE

REAR HUB
KING KONG
鉅邦
KDR502, 150MM OLD, SEALED BEARING, W/AXLE, BLK "

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Almost all companies use Taiwanese made hubs, which makes sense when you consider the wheels are also Taiwanese made.

These hubs are not top notch compared to DT, CK, etc. They are probably not much worse than XT's loose bearing system.

You should consider this: how often do you go thru wheels? If you are the kind to hold onto a wheelset for years, then you should consider better hubs. But if you trash wheels every year, is that important to have a better hubset?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
If you are the kind to hold onto a wheelset for years, then you should consider better hubs.
is it really worth it to change hubs (and probably spokes) and re-use a rim, or sell it for a fraction of what its worth just in *case* the hubs aren't Made in USA or Swiss quality? ride the hell out of them, save for a new wheelset over the next year, and if you have trashed the hubs, you've got the cash (and had time to save for them) for an entirely new wheelset. If they're still running fine, get a "race only" wheelset, or blow it on hookers/drugs/etc. :clapping:

(a lot of "usa brands" use off-the-shelf TW hubs, and even more are built in the same TW factories to "US specifications"...)

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
I'm more than happy with them, just needed to know out of curiousity
what they were seeing the Ironhorse spec sheet only calls them up
as alloy DH hubs and they are just plain balck with no badging anywhere

They both spin really nicely and rear hub is nice and loud so riders here me coming down the hill

cheers

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i've built up wheels with no-name hubs for years, i just swap out the bearings for higher quality ones and they are good to go. i've gotten 3 or 4 seasons out of some of them..

i have a hard time getting excited about high end hubs

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Here’s the complete info:

FRONT HUB
KING KONG
鉅邦
GTH5, 20MM X 110MM THRU AXLE, 32H, BLACK, SEALED BEARING, BLK, W/O AXLE

REAR HUB
KING KONG
鉅邦
KDR502, 150MM OLD, SEALED BEARING, W/AXLE, BLK "
wonder how much they paid for theese......5$ for the pair.....?

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Even entry level, China sourced, loose ball, QR style, disc hubs cost more than that my friend.

-ska todd
5$ is in the ballpark......

Nothing wrong with "throw away" wheelsets and the Sunday is priced accordingly.......use them for Mud days, if you can stand not being 'pimped out' for a practice session.....

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
can i go out on a limb here and claim that it really isn't that hard to make good qualiy hubs as long as the bearings are up or the job. they aren't exactly complicated nor has hub design changed much in the past 5 years.

bet the oem iron horse hubs are better then much of what shimano has to offer