Quantcast

2007 Marzocchi 888 Spy Shot...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Brian Peterson said:
Hey, the competition has been stepping up the game on us... We got to do what we can to stay ahead..

Brian
you mean the marketing game of special leg coatings and treatments? I'm thinking gold and grey ano was just falling out of fashion.

If i were Marzocchi, I'd start by getting rid of frivolous 'ego-style' designs like M-arches and M-crowns to match M-fenders and focus on solid no-comprimise efficient designs. I know grey hard-ano doesnt look as sexy, but it seems to be the most proven surface treatment to date, just happens to be the ugliest. edit: well assuming we arent talking about chromed up aluminum :D

Sep 10, 2001
Chrome plated carbon? I missed that... I could only imagine the cost for that.. But that would be bad ass...

Zedro, look at many other Italian companies.. There is always a certain element of style to go along with the function.. Ducati, Aprilia, Ferrari... The list goes on... I think it is a cultural thing...

Design is a joint venture.. We now have a full time R&D person here in the States... Let me tell you, it has made a big difference from what I have seen happening...

Brian

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
The place I used to work had some parts annodized with a teflon impregnated black stuff that we used as a bearing surface for a self leveling device that had to slip on a delrin bushing with just a couple of ounces force, the stuff was slippery as snot and lasted for months of continuous use in testing. We generally designed parts to withstand 100000 cycles as that was determined to be the life cycle of the product, the teflon annodized parts didn't show hardly any wear after millions of cycles. I'm not sure how well the coating would work on a fork, it may be the black stuff that is rubbing off of everybody's forks now.

We also had a super hard green anno on some parts, the tricky thing was that the parts were annodized to a specific amount of build not to a specific color so finding two parts the exact same shade of green was pretty tough.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
hey brian , two gusses for the silver 888 - nickel plated stanctions and a ti spring . if u wont say anything ,than well know its true :)

RideSiK

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
australia
rockshocks dump the slippery silver, then marz pic it up the following season?, maybe rockshocks worked out its not worth it and moved onto new technologies...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
RideSiK said:
rockshocks dump the slippery silver, then marz pic it up the following season?, maybe rockshocks worked out its not worth it and moved onto new technologies...

well the RS thing was very expensive and IMO, didnt do much, so it would make a LOT of sense to drop it, hence the general perception of it as a "gimmick".
lets hope marzocchi does better, and i think they will.

silver plated carbon stanchions, wow.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am impressed how the DH forks keeps improving at the moment for all the big manufacturers at a speed we haven't seen before but I guess there is a lot of competition.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Tame Ape said:
Nickel plated stanchions it is then.

would that mean they are made of steel?

just thinking out loud because U.S.E. had steel stanchions on their DH fork back then, and they had some sort of silver plating.
WB had some form of silvery plating on their original UD150 but that didnt work too well, anyhow those forks are both from 98.

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
the stanchions are a hollow tube of liquid mercury held in place by force fields, magnets, alphabeti spaghetti and rape tape, virtually friction free...so i hear.

Sep 10, 2001
wysiwyg said:
the stanchions are a hollow tube of liquid mercury held in place by force fields, magnets, alphabeti spaghetti and rape tape, virtually friction free...so i hear.
Dammit... You figured it out....

Brian

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Brian Peterson said:
Hey, the competition has been stepping up the game on us... We got to do what we can to stay ahead..

Brian
Funny, I thought slippery silver and all that other stuff was a weak attempt by other companies to get that dreamy small bump cushiness we've always been able to get from Marzokee. :love:

Maybe that would change with the air forks but I thought the other guys were playing catch up on this.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Hey-what matters here is the coating's durability. If pink unubtanium would be more scratch resistant and keep seals from leaking then i'd run it.
The WB forks were nickel coated but they had a tough time keeping it on the stanctions.That was a long time ago- they weren't even oil bath or even oil seals!!!

Nickel or a similar metallic coating would help keep yer bro's pedal from eating yer stanction during a shuttle run.

I'm sure Fabian runs Air- he's a weight weenie.He has like 40 ti bolts holding his bike together. I saw his bike at I bike and he had the 06 RC damper in one leg and NUTHIN in the other leg,just a VF looking cap on top.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
OGRipper said:
Funny, I thought slippery silver and all that other stuff was a weak attempt by other companies to get that dreamy small bump cushiness we've always been able to get from Marzokee.
No, RS told me it was about product recognition. In a race, you could see the gold/silver stanchions a mile away, and instantly know which product it was. That's what they said.

The "slippery" part was pure marketing as well, just playing with people's perceptions, but that was because the original Ti/Ni flaked off, they had to come up with something similer.

DHstrike

Chimp
Jun 28, 2006
Maine
personally im not a huge fan of marzocchi, i have owned two of them and they have been great forks.......but there really expensive. i just recently bought a rockshox pike and i love it, I like the motion control over the hscv dampning. i liked the pike so much that i just ordered a 06 rockshox boxxer team.
I have nothing against marzocchi, i think that they are great forks, its just that there are other companies that are making better forks (in my opinion) for a better price.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
DHstrike, expensive?
Rockshox line is higher priced then Marzocchi. Marzocchi is still best bang for your buck. sure i have a pike and love it. but you see the new Totem, single crown fork for $1000, right. you can get a 66 for less then that

DHstrike

Chimp
Jun 28, 2006
Maine
im talking about currently, the totem is an 07 fork, but i see what your saying....i guess im going to have to wait to judge the marzocchi forks when they are released to the public.