Quantcast

2007 Marzocchi Forks Are Out!!!

connor123

Chimp
May 30, 2005
Ojai, Ca
Judging by the fact that we all seem to be sticklers about how components look on our bikes I'm amazed more attention hasn't been paid to the fact that the roco air is hideous. Maybe its just me but i definately wouldn't run that shock solely because of its looks.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Not true. I know it goes against the 'accepted' here, but there is nothing about titanium that makes it any different than steel as far as its use as a spring.
You could argue that it is less sprung weight, but that is very minimal, and varies with coil movement of said spring.
I think that a lot of what people are feeling is a 'true' spring rate. Most, if not all, steel bike springs have a huge tollerance. Meaning that a '500#' steel spring could test out to be 430# or 570#. Because of the nature of the ti spring biz, they hold much tighter tollerances, thus your 500# ti spring will be 490# to 510# for example.

Ti is used for one of two reasons mainly.
1 'it is lighter'
It is less dense that steel, and has a similar or higher tensile strength, allowing less material to be used.
2 see 1
because of the properties above, ti can be used to make a spring that will fit within certain physical paramaters (free length, diameter, pitch, travel, etc) that might be impossible with most steels.

It also has a different natural frequency than steel. So, in an application where a steel spring might resonate, a ti spring with the same phisical properties (length, rate, diameter) will not.

Dont get me wrong, I have ti springs on all my bikes, but in this application, the ONLY advantage is weight. (OK there might be a scenario where a very high rate spring is needed and only ti could fit the free length and travel needed for the shock)

If you want to know about ti springs listen to DHRracer, he knows....

i had read about ti being closer to ideal spring characteristics, ie less internal friction, is that why it feels livelier?

as for the scenario you mention, avalanche only has springs of over 600lbs/in in ti.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I hate the width of this thread.
That being said, I wanted to comment on the Z1 line. After looking at the AM line and the 66 line, I do not see the point of having the Z1. Can someone point it out to me?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I hate the width of this thread.
That being said, I wanted to comment on the Z1 line. After looking at the AM line and the 66 line, I do not see the point of having the Z1. Can someone point it out to me?

its a niche fork, and this year it also is there in the form it has, like brian said, as a hommage to their roots.

the color, damping, and bolt on crown are there for 2007 just as they were in 97.

think of it as a do-all, burly, coil, SC. lots of travel, plush as can be, and reliable like 10 years on the market.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Nostalgia doesn't seem to be a very good reason to produce a product meant to be used. But, I suppose there must be that demographic out there that's willing to buy an anniversary version or Marzocchi wouldn't have produced it. I just know that my first was a '99 and while it was cool (and electric green), in no way do I feel nostalgic enough to buy another one just because it looks like my first Marzocchi. I buy based on performance and price, not feelings ;)

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Nostalgia doesn't seem to be a very good reason to produce a product meant to be used. But, I suppose there must be that demographic out there that's willing to buy an anniversary version or Marzocchi wouldn't have produced it. I just know that my first was a '99 and while it was cool (and electric green), in no way do I feel nostalgic enough to buy another one just because it looks like my first Marzocchi. I buy based on performance and price, not feelings ;)
yep, id probably not buy a fork for nostalgia, but there probably is an group of people where that element could be a deal maker, i mean, i dont think they are thinking to sell it based merely on nostalgia, its got its own credentials, but for sure its going to have a special appeal to some people and thats what a broad product lineup is meant for.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
My e-speculator says that the lowers and crowns from the DJ series are stronger than the lowers/crowns found on the AM/4XWC forks. What I do not understand is the AM-shaped bolt-on lowers on the super T - why do the others (Z1, DJ) not have them?

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
i was wondering if the nickel coat on the 888 world cup is anything similar to the one rock shox used which just started peeling off my stanchions a week after i bought it and just became a pain in the a$$...maybe its because of the humidity down here but my boxxer world cup looked like one of those chrome rst wal-mart forks

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Not true. I know it goes against the 'accepted' here, but there is nothing about titanium that makes it any different than steel as far as its use as a spring.....
the difference is the coil spacing vs windings, where the low wind count of a Ti spring causes a coil to have a much higher displacement. Coils transfer this displacement into torsion which in itself does not have a 100% linear relationship (i.e. one inch of coil compression does not equal x-degrees of coil twist, it will vary). So its not a function of the metals (both are operating in the linear elastic range), but rather by coil geometry (like using prog winds to mess with rates). I dont know how much of this effect would actually be felt, but its a theory at least.....

Sep 10, 2001
Well.. Here is an update.. The Ti springs on the new 888 will be able to go into your 2006 888.... Product knowledge meetings are fun...

Brian

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
hey brian...

an word on the weight of the dirtjump series? did they gt any lighter for 07?

just trying to make a fork choice...

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
while i dont have any exact figure, i guess its safe to say it wont be too far from what you see in the pictures which is boxxer 8" ti springs, vs stock 888 2006 springs. it might be worthwhile mentioning however, that a white boxxer ti spring a bit (20g) less than the silver ones pictured there.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Can I get ice cream too?

I actually have a technical question about the Roco's. Thought about starting a thread.. but this is easier.

I have a Roco WC on my Sunday which I friggin love. And am thinking about getting another one for my trail bike. Does the TST shock have the same internals as the WC (i.e. when it's open does it act like a WC or is it more like the diff between the RC and VF)????

I also heard the Roco Air can have a platform by removing the negative air. Is this also user - servicable? Is it adjustable?

Thanks.

Sep 10, 2001
Can I get ice cream too?

I actually have a technical question about the Roco's. Thought about starting a thread.. but this is easier.

I have a Roco WC on my Sunday which I friggin love. And am thinking about getting another one for my trail bike. Does the TST shock have the same internals as the WC (i.e. when it's open does it act like a WC or is it more like the diff between the RC and VF)????

I also heard the Roco Air can have a platform by removing the negative air. Is this also user - servicable? Is it adjustable?

Thanks.
The TST Roco rides like a WC when the TST is off...

As for the air shock, there isn't an adjustable negative chamber.. And you were to mess with the negative air, you would end up with a rear shock that tops out and has a lot of stiction..

Brian