Quantcast

2007 Marzocchi super t RV

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
A friend of mine just got a new bike with a super t rv. I want to try and help get it set up for her.

First thing is the fork is way over sprung. Would it hurt to remove one of the springs and use the air caps to make up for it? If I do this how nuch should I raise the oil height to make up for not having a spring in the leg?

Second I read that the new super t's spike pretty badly. would replacing the stock oil in the comp. side with a lighter fork oil make any difference or not.

Thanks for the help
Dennis

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
A friend of mine just got a new bike with a super t rv. I want to try and help get it set up for her.

First thing is the fork is way over sprung. Would it hurt to remove one of the springs and use the air caps to make up for it? If I do this how nuch should I raise the oil height to make up for not having a spring in the leg?

Second I read that the new super t's spike pretty badly. would replacing the stock oil in the comp. side with a lighter fork oil make any difference or not.

Thanks for the help
Dennis
id say your plan sounds very good.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
As for the spring removal. After some air is bled in to make up for the removed spring, your fork will be preloaded too much, resulting in harsh top out. to reduce this, create a negative air chamber in spring-free leg by compressing it before you tighten the top cap. You will notice it takes some force to stretch it back to zero travel position. Depending on the air preload you set, you will attain more comfortable sag. I have been doing this to my solo air boxxers with no problems.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The air chamber you have, is an Air "assist" chamber. Unfortunatly its a 15lb max. Its designed to be used with a spring to give bigger riders a little boost. Instead of trying to figure out a way to eliminate a spring, just contact Marzocchi, the springs are not that expensive, and you know it will be done right the first time

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
The air chamber you have, is an Air "assist" chamber. Unfortunatly its a 15lb max. Its designed to be used with a spring to give bigger riders a little boost. Instead of trying to figure out a way to eliminate a spring, just contact Marzocchi, the springs are not that expensive, and you know it will be done right the first time
I am 230 and out of the box it feels over sprung for me. I was hoping that with just one spring it would be pretty close for her weight, and use the air to fine tune it.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Maybe switch to lesser weight oil but then you risk topout, an easy fix is compress the fork then have somebody press down the schreader valves so it has negative air and it will be really soft.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
for a girl, using only one spring and a few psi as preload could very well work out ok, hard to know w/o rider weight, but with how easy spring removal/replacement is on that fork, clearly it would be the first thing to try.

the trick you guys are referring to with the negative air pressure wont help with overall spring rate nor with spiking, unfortunately.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
for a girl, using only one spring and a few psi as preload could very well work out ok, hard to know w/o rider weight, but with how easy spring removal/replacement is on that fork, clearly it would be the first thing to try.

I am inclined to agree on this one now, usually that fork will have one heavy, and one medium spring from the factory, medium being under the air. Might just work perfect to try the heavy spring with about 10 lbs of air. As far as oil, Call up Marz tech, dont tell them what your doing, but ask how far up the leg the oil should be!!! I cant remember but some are like 3 inches from the top at full compression, or four inches at full compression... I have always had much better luck with zokes using that measurement than by completly draining the oil and measureing the cc's

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
you could also drill out the cartridge, do a search.
one spring should work good, and also lighter oil, 5wt or maybe 2.5?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
One step at a time though, get it sprung right, then play with the oil, remember they set the valving up to use with the oil thats in it already. Getting the proper spring rate should always be the first step in setting up any suspension.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
One step at a time though, get it sprung right, then play with the oil, remember they set the valving up to use with the oil thats in it already. Getting the proper spring rate should always be the first step in setting up any suspension.
Agree'd. She is a begginer rider so just getting the spring rate right will get her going. We can fine tune it after that.

DiRt DeViL

Monkey
Feb 6, 2005
CNY
Not the same fork but did something similar, my son's bike has a Jr. T and it was too harsh and couldn't use full travel so we took the springs of the right leg out and the difference was amazing. He now can use full travel and is super smooth.

Follow your plan, sounds good to me.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i talked to marzochi about this exact situation but with a Dirtjumper with air assist, they said you could remove one spring if needed, which i did and then ran about 5psi in the leg. as for oil i would try a 2.5-5wt mix for the light riders, they don't need much compression so you really just need the rebound damping