Quantcast

2007 Norco Shore/ Should I run 24" in back?

Feb 5, 2008
B-ham
I have a 2007 Norco Shore w/a 888 Marz. The bike was obviously designed around a 7" Marz. 66 with a high B.B. for tech riding. The problem I have is I want to race and with the 888 my B.B. is really high. I think a 24" might help lower the B.B. and slacken the 66 degree H.A. After talking it over with my mechanic I'm still not satisfied that the rolling resistance problem inherent with the 24" wont be offset by the lower center of gravity and slack H.A. Also I have a friend with an old Bighit that runs the 24" and he seems to do really well on it. What should I do? And is it worth the effort to put money into a heavy freeride bike. Is it just going to be a heavy freeride bike thats slacker and lower if I do drop the money?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
There's a reason why bikes don't have 24" wheels anymore. You friend does well on an old Bighit because he is a good rider, not because of the 24" wheel. He'll probably be faster when he gets off training wheels. ;-)

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
No you shouldnt run a 24. I didnt realize how much the 24 on my old big hit held me up until I got a new bike. You could run a shorted eye to eye shock to lower the bb. And drop your 888 as far as you can in the crowns.

And unless your racing pro, you will probably be fine with the bike as is.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
save up for a bit and get a new frame or nicer used frame/complete. you could get one that you could swap most your parts over, upgrade slowly. the other thing to consider is a whole new bike, they feel really nice.