Quantcast

2007 Northeast Monkey Gathering - July 20-22

You bet! I'm bringing two bikes, Turnergirl is bringing two bikes and riding up with me. I'm trying to convince Berkshire_Rider to bring a big bike as well but he's dragging his feet on getting it over to the shop to get tuned up. I just did my first ever downhill ride at Highland MTB Park yesterday and I'm itching for more.
I don't want to hear anyone complain that they can't ride on Saturday because they got HURT on FRIDAY! AHEM!

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I don't want to hear anyone complain that they can't ride on Saturday because they got HURT on FRIDAY! AHEM!
I'm already hurt, that doesn't stop me, just slows me down a bit. I went downhilling at Highland yesterday with a cracked rib, just made sure to pile in the ibuprofen before I hopped on the lift and then again at lunch.

edit: Besides, there's nothing a few post-ride barley pops won't fix.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Naw. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's legal. It tends to be intermittently enforced, but if they see you they're liable to pull you over and check everybody out.
We'll just have to do what I used to with my friends in high school, two taps on the rear window, everybody lie down :busted: , one more tap, all clear :monkeydance: .

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Treesaw, do we have any sort of cancellation policy (say, re-booking for a different weekend???) at the lodge if it looks like the trails are going to be closed? That's a long haul and a lot of $$$ in dog-sitting for me to head up and not be able to ride. :(

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
I doubt a little rain is the issue...when we were up at Whiteface it POURED and you could see massive erosion happening right in front of you (well, when you could actually see anyway...:rolleyes: )

Seems those weather systems have been pounding the Northeast a lot in the past several weeks (starting with the MS Ride in CT!!!) so I can understand the decision to close if they feel it warrants trail preservation.

Guess we'll just have to wait and watch the forecast...

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Treesaw, do we have any sort of cancellation policy (say, re-booking for a different weekend???) at the lodge if it looks like the trails are going to be closed? That's a long haul and a lot of $$$ in dog-sitting for me to head up and not be able to ride. :(
We would loose the security deposit and then have to find another weekend it's available. John (the owner) is pretty cool about that.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Just send lots of good monkey vibes towards northern Vermont!!

I predict everything will be fine.

I agree with MBC though that we should keep an eye on the situation.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
I just don't want to see anybody doing a sun dance over there. Just bring a flamethrower and we'll dry the trails in front of us if never rain is coming to party with us! :P

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
so I have no idea what the agenda looks like aside from hearsay and my foggy memory. So I'm going to fabricate what a storyline to make this thread even longer.....

Friday:
people begin arriving. weigh ins reveal that bikes are losing to beer by a 10:1 margin
intrepid souls venture out on the trails. some are lost in the mud. luckily the slower riders are able to ride over the stuck persons and complete the ride.
post-ride beer consumption is epic, but a bit lower than expected due to losing riders in the mud
Pack of night riders heads out on the trail. Entire party lost in the mud.
Drunk people decide to go on a rescue mission. All missing bikers' bodies are deemed "honorably buried" and will be left behind. Bicycles will be brought back for "recycling" :clapping:
Drunken rescue mission becomes lost in the woods drowns in swamp
This year's JBP injury due to kegstand instead of the traditional "falling from bicycle" technique

Saturday:
Pigboy wakes up and finds the lodge miraculously free of people with hangovers. Decides that there will be enough bacon after all. Makes breakfast.
Riding turns into a naked mud football game
More beer and bicycles arrive with the latecomers
Lunch and drinking
Afternoon riding and/or lying around drunkenly
Dinner and beer (not necessarily in that order) at a local dining establishment
more drinking at the lodge along with delicous cake!

Sunday:
Bacon supplies are exhausted. In a panic the remaining riders decide that even though he's too skinny Pigboy is the only available source of pork belly. Pigboy dies valiently attempting to fight off the hungry bacon lovers. Cannibalism ensues with the civilizing influence of coffee.
Sunday riding. "Hangover trail barfing contest won by Echo for the 2nd year in a row"
General dispersal of cars, bikes and riders to the four winds. Beer to bike weight ratio is now at 1:1. Victory is declared against the evil forces of the liver.

so.... what's really happening? anyone got a schedule of events? :lighten:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I think you just about nailed it pigboy. I'm working on the spud cannon so it might not make the trip, but you might put some potato dodging/target practice in there somewhere.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
my schedule:

Fri=arrive noonish; then ride, drink & eat dead flesh until Sunday morning, sadly depart & head to mount snow where spirits are lifted by the sight of PRO female xc racers in lycra.