Quantcast

2007 P2 Cromo seat clamp smaller than 35mm?

Gookis

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
Tried to replace the "integrated" seat collar clamp with a 35mm Salsa clamp. I can clamp the Salsa quick release all the way down and then screw it closed until both sides of clamp are touching. AND I can still pull the seat out of the frame.!!:mad::mad:

Question- Despite my LBS telling me that "Specialized bikes have been made with 30.9mm seat posts for last 20+years"...is it possible that because it's Cromo, the metal of the frame is thinner than their other frames therefore requiring a smaller clamp??

Hoping I'm not clinically crazy or retarded. I'll accept slightly of either but, but not completely.

Matt

Last edited:

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
34.9?

Are you sure its a 35mm clamp? Salsa does make a 36.4 clamp.

The p2 uses a 30.9mm post so you are limited by that in what clamp sizes. I doubt a 32mm clamp is going to work.

The only other possibility is you are using the wrong size seat post....

But here is a thought; Why don't you measure it?

Gookis

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
Seat post says 30.9 on it. I measured the two clamps with a tape measure. A couple of mm's is only .08" or so; pretty tiny difference. I don't have a caliper. I took the clamp off my 2007 Enduro FS Trail III as well as the seat and just tried them on the P2. Seat fits the same and the FS Trail clamp is loose! If I hold the old camp from the P2 up to the 35mm Salsa (says it right on the clamp in white lettering), the old appears slightly smaller.

I'm being told, by people who know bikes better than I do, that the next smaller clamp couldn't possibly work. From there stems my confusion. Thanks for the effort Crohnsy.

Matt

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
I don't recall any issues with that clamp from the P2's I have seen but my next course of action would be to bring your bike into the shop and measure it with a calliper.

Its possible that the chromoly used is thinner than the typical Aluminum tube used and therefore specialized is using a custom clamp.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
35mm is to big for a steel frame with a 30.9 seat post. The wall thickness for the seat tube would be .8mm on the thin side and 1.2mm on the very thick side. So depending on what they used for tubing the clamp would be 32.5mm on the small side and 33.5mm on the large side.

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
Chronsy and TT got it right--steel is a thinner wall thickness than aluminum which is the problem. I have an '07 P2 and wanted a QR on it. I tried the "off-the-shelf" sizes but they were either way too big or way too small. I took a small one and bored it out on a metal-lathe to the proper size. Maybe a 6-pack and a quick visit to the local machine shop would get it done?

Gookis

Chimp
Aug 28, 2009
Right on. Thanks guys. That was pretty much my guess. I may just have to live with it or the lathe route. Thanks for putting heads together and your suggestions!

Matt