Quantcast

2007 Preston/Covert/Heckler climbing ability

nutter

Chimp
May 6, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Hello All,

Got a Bottlerocket at the moment which is gettingsold as I want something that can go up hill for the next few years until I can afford as many bikes as I want once I leave uni.

I've narrowed down my choice to a few 2007: Transition Covert, Preston, Cove Hulster, or Santa Cruz Heckler.

I do some Freeride nothing with 20 ft drops or anything, so need something that can takea fair bit of abuse but also want it for more all mountain/ 7 stanes type riding.

2007 Preston looks good, I was wandering if anyone here owned one and could give a bitof feedback about how it is for all day rides, the Transition website recons it's pretty good, some reviews say different.

I don't know if I'd be better just waiting a bit longer and going for a Heckler. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replys.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Transition is just a hour or so drive away and they seem to have the trail need dialed for this area so I bought a Covert this past spring and have been riding it all summer. So far, it's working real well though the chain stay yoke catches a lot of debris. (Running Conti Deisel Pro 2.5s on it. Kevin says they are working on that to have an opening in the yoke for the 2008 model. The other thing is that the paint (I got the red which I love and gets lots of positive comments.) has a tendancy to chip really easily and there is not a touch up kit available. :( I can take the bike to the shore comfortably with the Manitou Flick Plus up front and can also swap out the FR wheelset for a lightweight 28 sp[oke set and throw the Talas on for a relatively light pure XC rig. It's really 2 bikes in one. And, you save over a pound on the frame from the Preston and still can ride the same terrain IMHO.

Consider the Covert to pair up with that 'rocket.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Have an 07 Preston w/ a DHX air 5.0 and float 36. Weighs in around 34lbs and I pedal it on 4-5 hour rides without thinking about it. Such a fun bike. Very nimble but super fast on DH stuff with the 6 up front and 5 in the rear. I almost bought a Heckler (07) but thought it just didn't fit the bill. I highly suggest the Preston. The DHX takes some time to set-up but once you have it dialed its the best air shock out there. I also really like the sizing of the bike. I'm 6'1 and run a Large. Although its a large, it still feels very low and manueverable under me but when I hike the seat up it climbs like a champ. Best advice is to get a travel adj fork though, the 36 float is nice and light but the TALAS would be killer for some of the bigger climbs.