Quantcast

2007 Rock Shox Prototype Fork

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
208
0
MSA
Here is a picture of a 2007 Rock Shox Freeride fork to compete with the Marz. 66 and the Fox 36.

1''1/8 steerer, 40mm stancions, 200mm travel,

Did I said BEEFY!!!

Judge by yourself.

http://www.harookz.com/

(In the News section)
 

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
240
0
damn that sh*t is beefy, that crown looks sick...nice to see rock shox getting their game on...the 2006 boxxer WC is just awesome hope i can get one soon
 

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
71
0
I like that its rocking the old school RS1 sticker, I wanted one of those so bad when I was in grade seven :thumb:
 

CBJ

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
11,128
1,380
Copenhagen, Denmark
07 already thats crazy.

I think the market is getting better all the time for the consumer with healthy competition and great products coming out every year. This year you have Fox 40, BoXXer WC, 888 RC2X and Travis all great forks it looks like. Maybe there will even be a new a great RST HI-5 2007 :)
 

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
1,498
0
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i am just waiting to someone build 1''1/8 steerer fork with 300mm of travel so i can put on apocalypse and when i drop do an x-up or bar spin... :dead:

people are going crazy with sc forks with too much travel...
 

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
5,100
0
Sand, CA
the new long stroke rock shox air shock looks and feels. YES feels awesome. its on Jeff Lenosky's Giant Faith. took it for a ride when we went to diablo. feels freaky awesome. loos like a HUGE beer can with shaft. no resi at all. had all the motion control adjustments. everyone else just really enjoyed the custom white seat he had on it.

thanks SRAM for makins suck better products
 

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
1,851
0
Walking the Earth
hellonasty said:
Here is a picture of a 2007 Rock Shox Freeride fork to compete with the Marz. 66 and the Fox 36.

1''1/8 steerer, 40mm stancions, 200mm travel,

Did I said BEEFY!!!
Any word on the weight? It doesn't look too trim (try to gauge what beefy would entail)...
 

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
937
0
kol-uh-RAD-oh
I saw that fork this past weekend. The e-speculator in me says the lowers are wayyy too thin. The lowers look only a couple millimeters larger in diameter than the stanchions...

What is the deal with gigantic stanchions these days? Obviously there is a point where increasing the stanchion size does not cause a noticeable increase in stiffness...
 

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
16,490
1,258
01776
WheelieMan said:
I saw that fork this past weekend. The e-speculator in me says the lowers are wayyy too thin. The lowers look only a couple millimeters larger in diameter than the stanchions...

What is the deal with gigantic stanchions these days? Obviously there is a point where increasing the stanchion size does not cause a noticeable increase in stiffness...

welcome to the world of frankenbreak. That's the point I was trying to make...I guess the 36mm stantions on the new fox are pretty substantial...but is it really necessary to go bigger? We tried it and it didn't work. Maybe with high build quality (er...ANY build quality) the results would be different...but I bet RS is just putting money on the whole "bigger is better" notion.
 

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
1,009
0
Wisconsin
Sandwich said:
welcome to the world of frankenbreak. That's the point I was trying to make...I guess the 36mm stantions on the new fox are pretty substantial...but is it really necessary to go bigger? We tried it and it didn't work. Maybe with high build quality (er...ANY build quality) the results would be different...but I bet RS is just putting money on the whole "bigger is better" notion.
At this point I'd say the steerer/crown interface is the weakest/flexiest link in the chain. BUT we'd all be liars if we said that marketing and *looks* don't play a huge part in sales. Marzocchi came out with 35mm with no problems. Fox upped it to 36mm. Manitou took a step back to 34mm :confused:. Now RS, failing to produce a real FR fork in many years, goes 40mm.
 

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
9,106
528
Nilbog
Spokompton said:
Way to show up late... keg's dry... :D

pfffffffffffffft hhahahahhh thats awesome

About the fork, 40mm is just confidence inspiring, esp on a single crown. When you are in a sick section it just helps to know you have that huge beer can under you to keep you alive :dancing:

That said, i think this fork will go on my hardtail next year, with the u turn system how low do you think this thing can be put at, 90mm :confused: hahhaha 40 mm w/90 travel.
 

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
5,100
0
Sand, CA
yea i had that proto hanenstink. no adjustments. bent the steerer 1 week into have it
i dispise that company.

i do like what SRAM has been doing with all their new assets though. though this one seems a bit lame
 

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
16,490
1,258
01776
when were they cool ?

Time will tell, but I see a little bit of the same 1.5 debate going right into the stantions on this fork.

Good luck to RS though, I haven't been a fan since the top caps of my Quadra 5 popped out of the fork and hit me in the chest. YAY plastic!
 

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
9,106
528
Nilbog
Sandwich said:
when were they cool ?

Time will tell, but I see a little bit of the same 1.5 debate going right into the stantions on this fork.

Good luck to RS though, I haven't been a fan since the top caps of my Quadra 5 popped out of the fork and hit me in the chest. YAY plastic!

I agree they haven’t been cool since the champagne judy xc went out back in 96, but i think they are making a comeback. I mean who wouldnt like a light burley fork like this one, with travel adjustment (u-turn) and a maxel system?

I guess i don’t understand where the problem is, how many people on here are praising the pike? Don’t you think this is just going to be a big version of that? As long as they keep the weight down on those tubes and the thickness reasonable so that it doesn’t crunch like the beer can it resembles they i say to rock shox
 

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
9,106
528
Nilbog
ohio said:
Wow, you guys know a lot about this fork for having seen two small jpegs of it.

its all e-spec...but cmon, that is what forums are about, but i mean cmon, you know the thing is going to be similar to pike internals, its just gonna be a giant pike... :dancing:


my e-spec
 

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
2,052
0
alex. va. usa.
is it just me or does it look like it has a post mount brake mount. it looks like the whole post mount thing is finally catching on. also i wish all the big single crown forks were 1.5 because it is stronger and stiffer, also i would just feel safer with the bigger steerer. but at said i will still buy a 66 sl this coming year!
 

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
9,106
528
Nilbog
Sir_Crackien said:
is it just me or does it look like it has a post mount brake mount. it looks like the whole post mount thing is finally catching on. also i wish all the big single crown forks were 1.5 because it is stronger and stiffer, also i would just feel safer with the bigger steerer. but at said i will still buy a 66 sl this coming year!
I dont want to dig this debate up, but why dont all the "other" companies swallow their pride and start making all these single crown forks with 1.5, I mean the new 66, rock shox, and 36 forks should all be using it, or atleast offer it as an option.
 

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
558
0
University Place
I will be in Whistler this weekend so I am sure I will bump into Tyler. I will give a push on the fork if he is riding it and I will let you guys know how it is.

Later!
 

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
1,777
0
Lawnguyland, New F'in Yawk
manhattanprjkt83 said:
why dont all the "other" companies swallow their pride and start making all these single crown forks with 1.5, I mean the new 66, rock shox, and 36 forks should all be using it, or atleast offer it as an option.
I think you will be happy w/ the new RS...

-ska todd
 

Jm_

Turbo Monkey
Jan 14, 2002
10,004
2,299
AK
ohio said:
Wow, you guys know a lot about this fork for having seen two small jpegs of it.
And you sure seem to know a lot about the 2006 Foes FXR without ever having tried it;

ohio said:
Hope that shock is running REALLY light valving. Not really much need for a leverage ratio that low... my Gemini DH is about 2.4:1 and it's a huge pain. I need to find obscure spring rates and have the shock custom valved. Modern shocks are pretty reliable at 3:1. Staying in that range saves you weight over a longer shock, means stock shocks will work for you in a pinch, and makes it easy to find springs to get your sag right.
 

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
6,638
4
SF, CA
Jm_ said:
And you sure seem to know a lot about the 2006 Foes FXR without ever having tried it;
Feel free to point out any part of my post that was speculation.

It WILL need really light valving relative to any standard shock
It WILL need a light spring
It WON'T ever take a standard shock

I didn't say anything about how its performance or its durability.

I'll expect a hand written and signed apology, in triplicate. Bee-otch.