Quantcast

2007: The year the 29er becomes mainstream

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Reading all the stuff on here and MTBR and various other places, it looks like the 29" wheeled platform has been totally embraced by the industry and is here to stay.

There are literally dozens of choices in frames and there number of 29er specific accessories (forks/tires/wheels/etc) continues to grow.

Here's to The Year of the 29er!

:cheers:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
The only problem with the mainstream embracing the 29er is that this will, more than likely, push a lot of the original small time custom builders out of business. Kinda like what happened when MTBs went mainstream in the late 80's early 90's. My opinion of course.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The only problem with the mainstream embracing the 29er is that this will, more than likely, push a lot of the original small time custom builders out of business. Kinda like what happened when MTBs went mainstream in the late 80's early 90's. My opinion of course.
That might happen but the nice thing about the small builders is that they have gotten a firm foot hold into the market. They can innovate a lot faster than the big companies can.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Please refer to it as the Super Hybrid.

Gary Fisher holds the copyright on 29er.

Feb 13, 2006
It's already happening. Ask any framebuilder. 3 or 4 years ago, building 29er was a good niche to support yourself. Now it's not enough.

I really don't understand why people would cheer 29ers going "mainstream." It never is good for anything to go "mainstream," because "mainstream" means LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR and unless you are the lowest, or the commonest, then you don't benefit from that change.

Feb 13, 2006
That might happen but the nice thing about the small builders is that they have gotten a firm foot hold into the market. They can innovate a lot faster than the big companies can.
It's not like there is a lot of innovation going on with custom steel or aluminum hardtail 29ers. While what you say theoretically may be true, in practice it really isn't any sort of "foothold" to help the small builder.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If it is all mainstream now what will all the hardcore PBR drinking wierdos who rode them to be diffferent do? I'm guessing riding seatless, it is a much more soulfull simple way to ride a bike.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
You were only wrong by adding the m to the C. They are refered to as 700c although it is 700mm diameter. What the hell does the C stand for?
If I remember correctly, the 'C' was part of the design process. They started with 700A, went to 700B, and finally ended up with 700C. I don't know what the differences were, but that's what I remember. I think there is/was also a 700D. Anyone know the differences? Actually, I don't really care, just pointing out what the 'C' was.

Oh, and I noticed the 29er / super hybrid / 700 mtb thing on mtbr as well. I wouldn't say it's the only thing out there, but it's really the only thing those yahoos are taking pics of.

(Hopefully getting my Niner Sir9 in a few weeks....)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If I remember correctly, the 'C' was part of the design process. They started with 700A, went to 700B, and finally ended up with 700C. I don't know what the differences were, but that's what I remember. I think there is/was also a 700D. Anyone know the differences? Actually, I don't really care, just pointing out what the 'C' was.

Oh, and I noticed the 29er / super hybrid / 700 mtb thing on mtbr as well. I wouldn't say it's the only thing out there, but it's really the only thing those yahoos are taking pics of.

(Hopefully getting my Niner Sir9 in a few weeks....)
Cool, thanks!