Quantcast

2008 Boxxer Maxle Question

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I am ashamed to say that I made one of the dumbest mistakes you can make with a maxle, apparently I over tightened it on my last ride. I can unscrew the internal scewer and remove it but I can not get the axel out :banghead:

Any suggestions, any help, constructive critisis; it is all welcome. :imstupid:

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I am ashamed to say that I made one of the dumbest mistakes you can make with a maxle, apparently I over tightened it on my last ride. I can unscrew the internal scewer and remove it but I can not get the axel out :banghead:

Any suggestions, any help, constructive critisis; it is all welcome. :imstupid:
Thread the skewer half way out and lightly tap it with a mallet to have the left side (looking at the fork) internal piece. Then use your allen key to unscrew the axle out. If you cant do that then take the skewer and the other end out and you will have just the thru axle. Take a 10mm allen wrench and unthread from the left side (looking at the fork)

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
do you have the maxle lite.. im sure u do if u do have an 08

are you sure ur removing it the right way...first you loosen up the brake side then you go to the other side and unscrew the whole thing out...not in separate pcs. just one whole pcs. to put back just do everything in reverse.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I have the maxle lite. I have changed wheelsets on this thing multiple times and never had this problem. I tried gently tapping it out but no luck. I bought a #10 allen wrench this morning and it came out super easy. I try not to be heavy handed when wrenching and my guess is since it came out so easy using the allen wrench is that it probably seized up over winter from no use and then a couple rides on it this spring with out taking it apart or there may have been enough dirt in there to make it a really snug fit. I cleaned it off pretty good and looks it is good to go. So the #10 will stay in my biking tool box for future use just in case. Thanks for the help guys, crisis averted :cheers:

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Don't feel too bad. I have a maxle360 and if i don't take it apart and grease it every couple months it sticks in there like crazy to the point i have to use a "breaker bar" on the lever to unscrew it.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Don't feel too bad. I have a maxle360 and if i don't take it apart and grease it every couple months it sticks in there like crazy to the point i have to use a "breaker bar" on the lever to unscrew it.
Good to know. I kind of figured after this experience that I will need to routinely take is out, clean it, grease it and then reassemble.