Quantcast

2008 Churn and Burn News to Share!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Received an email from Genesis Adventures today and here's what they had to say about the Churn and Burn for 2008:

Churn & Burn 24-Hr Mt. Bike Relay

After several years at Brialee Campground we will need to seek out a new venue as dramatic changes to the bike course will prevent us from returning. We are currently searching for a new venue and hope to have news for you by February on our new location. We expect this event to take place on September 13th & 14th in Connecticut.

I wonder if we could make some suggestions to them for a venue? What do you think would make for a good venue other than Brialee???

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I just read that e-mail and I am really not surprised. The campground construction bit right into the middle of the course. A real bummer for sure. I liked that venue. It'll be intersting to see what the new venue will be.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Camping, water, electricity, hot showers.

We don't really ride anywhere that's got all that. I can't think of any state parks that we ride in that have campgrounds, or at least enough open land for camping.

Then again there are a lot of places in CT that I have not ridden.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah - sounds like they are committed to keeping it in CT. Maybe there is a secret stash of trails in Mansfield that the UConn Cycling team knows about.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah - sounds like they are committed to keeping it in CT. Maybe there is a secret stash of trails in Mansfield that the UConn Cycling team knows about.
I am sure there are places in CT that can hold this event where MTB is usually not open to the public. We never even knew this Ashford course existed before doing the race.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I know , but I am just throwing out an option.

Gotcha - I think that collegiate race is key to the Churn and Burn, and that is hosted by UConn so I'm sure they are working hard to keep it close to the UConn campus so my guess is that it will be someplace east of Hartford, CT.

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Speaking of Dalton....whatever happened to their 24 event? I can't seem to find any information.....then again I'm sure this has already been rehashed over and over again.

Sucks about he Cn'B my wife and I were planning on making that our first 24hr race. Hopefully they pull it off for 2008.

Steve

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Speaking of Dalton....whatever happened to their 24 event? I can't seem to find any information.....then again I'm sure this has already been rehashed over and over again.

Sucks about he Cn'B my wife and I were planning on making that our first 24hr race. Hopefully they pull it off for 2008.

Steve
24 Hours of Adrenalin stopped doing it, which is fine because they sucked at running that event. It'd be cool if someone else picked up that race.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
24 Hours of Adrenalin stopped doing it, which is fine because they sucked at running that event. It'd be cool if someone else picked up that race.
I am pretty sure after all of the problems & issues Adrenalin caused, they were told to never come back.

River19 > why dont you do the 6 hour race at Dalton instead?

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Douglas - I will have to find some info on th 6hour, I was planning on entering the 6 hours of Pat Peak in May/June as a Co-ed puke-fest . With the CnB being our first 24 hour in September.

The theory was we would figure out how much we suck at Pat's then have all of June, July and August to keep training. I was also looking at the Darkhorse 40 in NY, but I can't find much info on the 2008 race yet.

Sounds like the prevailing opinion is that the Adrenaline folks messed the Dalton thing up good. Confirmation?

Steve

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
not sure, but I did talk to the owner of HolidayFarm right after the last 24 and he definitely was not happy with the dude that runs Adrenaline. I'd bet if a different promoter wanted to do a 24 there, it could happen

PatsPeak is tough, expect A LOT of climbing, heat, humidity & usually mud.

DarkHorse40 is an awesome race, 2 laps @ 20 miles - its a fast & fun course (no big climbs) and a tastey BBQ after - one of my favorites last year.

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Douglas – thanks for the help, I know you also answered some questions for me a few months back on the “other” board.

I checked some of the contact sites and it looks like some of the events/dates you have still need to be posted by the organizers etc. I was thinking Pat’s in May but hammering my wife with a ride up a ski slope for her first race is a recipe to end up in the solo category for racing and who knows what else…….

How do the two May and one June 6 hour races in NY stack up? I know one appears to be 100% night riding…….which would be interesting.

Dalton or Great Glen will depend on finding 2-3 more riders for a 5 person co-ed.

Steve

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Highland Hex, never been

Outside Adventures 6 hour, new race run by a friend of mine - She's put on a bunch of 2 hour xc races, short but fun & almost 100% singletrack course, no big climbs.

Plattekill 6 hour, also a new race and this one was my idea! They have done XC, DH & DS races for years. Expect a big ass climb, and some techy sections. This one will be a fun & painfull challange.

Scott Nelson

Chimp
Mar 3, 2008
Millbury, MA
The Churn and Burn guys are great and it would be awesome to see some more racers support thier efforts! I've done that event 3 or 4 times and it got better each year. Being in MA, I can't help with a new CT suggestion, but let's hope they can find another comparable location that allows the college racing and the 24 hour crews to do their racing at the same time. Another camp ground or even some college grounds would be preferable. Brialee was an awesome venue but awesome things just never seem to last. Bummer.

splat

Nam I am
I emailed the Guys at Genesis to ask them if ther ewas an Update I got this back. :(

We're still trying to find a new location
for this event. The couple of areas we had
lined up fell through and now we are exploring
other venues. We really don't know when we
will have this finalized and whether or not
we will be able to pull off this event
this year.

Thank you.

Regards,

Steve

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Bummer. I sent an e-mail a few weeks ago and they said they were still working on it. It's not looking good. :(

FYI, MBC and I are kicking around the idea of doing Great Glen. We'd do a 4/5 person with Rachel and Keith. The Churn and Burn was supposed to be my monkey race.

The Churn and Burn guys are great and it would be awesome to see some more racers support thier efforts! I've done that event 3 or 4 times and it got better each year. Being in MA, I can't help with a new CT suggestion, but let's hope they can find another comparable location that allows the college racing and the 24 hour crews to do their racing at the same time. Another camp ground or even some college grounds would be preferable. Brialee was an awesome venue but awesome things just never seem to last. Bummer.
The event was great - but the prizes really sucked.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Bummer. I sent an e-mail a few weeks ago and they said they were still working on it. It's not looking good. :(

FYI, MBC and I are kicking around the idea of doing Great Glen. We'd do a 4/5 person with Rachel and Keith. The Churn and Burn was supposed to be my monkey race.
I'm toying around Great Glen too...it's supposed to be a lot of fun!