Quantcast

2008 fox 40 set up help

Apr 24, 2010
Ive got a set of 2008 fox 40 rc2, and need help setting them up. Obviously i use them for downhill, quite rocky stuff.
Can anybody help me with what to do with rebound, preload, and the high/low speed compression? ? Also the high/low speed compression adjusters seem to be leaking a liquid that smell's like WD40, any idea on what this is?
Any help on set up or the 'leak' would be grately appriciated, thanks.

Ripzalot

Chimp
May 30, 2006
Ive got a set of 2008 fox 40 rc2, and need help setting them up. Obviously i use them for downhill, quite rocky stuff.
Can anybody help me with what to do with rebound, preload, and the high/low speed compression? ? Also the high/low speed compression adjusters seem to be leaking a liquid that smell's like WD40, any idea on what this is?
Any help on set up or the 'leak' would be grately appriciated, thanks.
try here for basic setup info: (under forks / 40)
http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/2008_om_eng.htm

-first setup your sag correctly (15-25% of shock travel) by adjusting the preload
-next set your rebound. you'll have to play with this part - adjust/test ride/repeat - until it feels right for you. start all the way one way then tweak back a few clicks. you'll probably find the sweet spot somewhere in the middle range.
-last do the fine tuning with the low-speed compression and then high speed compression. same as rebound, you'll have to adjust/testride/repeat until you find the sweet spot. again, the sweet spot is probably a few clicks up or down from the middle.

for your leak problem - it sounds like you are leaking fork oil from the bottom of your fork leg. you will need to tighten up the nut at the bottom of the fork (and probably install a new crush washer). the instructions are in the above link under "changing your oil". there is also a video on youtube where a guy shows you how to take apart your fork for cleaning / oil change (seach for fox 40). it's pretty simple but don't f it up like i almost did - be careful not to strip the threads on the bottom nuts! basically it's this:

-turn the bike upside down
-remove the wheel
-remove the disk brake caliper (not absolutely necessary, just don't get fluid on it!)
-block the front brake lever so you don't accidentally engage it while the wheel is removed
-remove the low speed compression knob with a 2mm allen wrench. 2 turns or so is enough to loosen the screw enough to take it off
-remove the high speed compression know with a 2mm allen wrench (be careful not to lose the little spring and ball bearing on the underside of the cap!). again 2 turns or so is enough.
-loosen the 15mm nut underneath the compression knobs about 4-6 turns (ensure that the full nuts threads are engaged on the bottom bolt or you may strip the nut/bolt in the next step)
-loosen the 10mm nut on the other legs about the same (ensure that the full nuts threads are engaged on the bottom bolt or you may strip the nut/bolt in the next step)
- so now you need to take a hammer (rubber mallet is suggested but you can use a regular hammer just put some padding on top like folded rags or something) and give each bolt a couple of hard whacks to disengage it from the bottom of the fork lowers. you will know when you've done it as the bottom bolts will stay recessed a bit.
- at this point you can remove the fork lowers if you want to clean them out and check the seals (a good idea). if they don't pull off easily you'll have to turn the rebound and/or preload all the way one way or the other. you don't need a lot of force to pull them off, so if it doesn't come off easily just crank the knobs all the way the other directon (I forget which way)
- if you don't want to remove the lowers, you can just drain the oil from the forks through the bottom holes with the bolts recessed, then refill through the same. 40cc's in each leg but it's not so critical to be exact since the oil is only for lubrication
-when done, reverse the process