Quantcast

2008 Giant Glory 1

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
Instead of hiring a bike to do 1 or 2 bikeparks a year, I am looking at buying a 'cheaper' bike, just because hiring= wasting money in my opinion...
Anyone had some time on one of these:
2008 Glory 1
frame: 8.0" Maestro Suspension
fork: Marzocchi 66 RVC
shock: Fox DHX
handlebar: Raceface Evolve DH
stem: Truvativ
seatpost: Race Face Evolve DH
pedals: Truvativ Holzfeller
rear derailleur: Shimano Saint
brakes: Avid Elixir
levers: Avid Elixir
cranks: Race Face Evolve DH
tires: Maxis

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I used to have Glory (frame set) built with Totem SA and some light components (including Fox DHX Air, which wasn't the best shock for this frame).
Beware of teh fact, that 2008 Zokes are really poor quality forks :(
Everything else is good or at least fine.
As for the frame itself, despite the fact it had even steeper HA than Glory DH from the same period, I really liked it :)

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Beware of teh fact, that 2008 Zokes are really poor quality forks :(
correction, there were a significant amount of issues with a portion of forks sold in 2008 and 2009; anything else is a massive overstatement given the QC and performance issues of the other major brands which are fantastically worse in comparison.

Much like all the undue manitout hate -- Stance line of forks were s*** and SPV was a huge failure, but my 2003 FireFly still outperforms the bulk of new forks.

There are PLENTY of excellent 2008-2009 marzocchi forks.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Sorry, maybe I was not precise, but Pashley 24Mhz asked about Marzocchi 66 RVC, which in my opinion was a crap.
I sold exactly the same bike to a friend of mine, who came back 2 weeks after purchase to claim a play on bushings. I claimed the fork at local dystro and the reply was "this is the way this fork works" :|

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
That's a perfect frame for what you want to do with it. Super burly and a good suspension design. Just keep an eye on the fork for bushing slop and you should be good to go.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
correction, there were a significant amount of issues with a portion of forks sold in 2008 and 2009; anything else is a massive overstatement given the QC and performance issues of the other major brands which are fantastically worse in comparison.

Much like all the undue manitout hate -- Stance line of forks were s*** and SPV was a huge failure, but my 2003 FireFly still outperforms the bulk of new forks.

There are PLENTY of excellent 2008-2009 marzocchi forks.
sorry, I wasn't going to get involved, but when somebody is wrong on the internet, I gotta be the hero the internet needs, not the one it deserves.

Everything about marzo 2008-2009 sucked, save the seals.

The damping was sh1t. The new evo stuff is a totally different damper, despite the same "rc3" name. I'm not hating on the new stuff. The first gen rc3 damping sucked ass. There was no damping adjustment, it took them about a year to come out with more then one springrate (for my 66), the air preload was a "stiction addition" and not much else. The overall fork felt stickier then any other fork I've ever owned (2009 boxxer wc, 2010 40rc2, 2010 boxxer team, 2012 boxxer wc, 2009 totem coil, 2009 totem solo air, and avy'd totem) by a substantial margin, despite having bushings sloppy enough that there was about 1/8-1/4 of an inch of wobble in between the stantions and the lowers when you just wobbled the fork back and forth, because the bushings were so lose. Also their axle system was problematic and I needed to have my lowers replaced because of that. And then they would tell me that nothing was wrong, because, well, they didn't have any solutions other then going back to the drawing board and starting over. Uhh, also the rebound range sucked too, I'd forgotten about that. I ended up managing to sell an 1100 dollar fork, with a thomson stem, and a gravity stem, and an FSA headset, for 200 dollars. This was on a fork that had been out for 7 months and had been replaced with all new parts several times.

Also, my roommates both had trouble with theirs - one a 55ata tst2, (which, after having literally every part replaced, was replaced with the same fork, which then failed in the same way, and then eventually replaced with an rc3 because they couldn't figure out how to make the ata not fail (and also the damper kept breaking and hyrdolocking). The rc3 was certainly an improvement, but it still sucked in all the same ways my old fork did.

Since they didn't have anything to replace it with because everything they had was sh1t, we all basically got fycked.

I'm not sure if their XC forks sucked equally as hard, but I'm inclined to think they did.

I'm not sure what other brands QC and performance issues have fantastically worse (maybe risse? but who the hell cares about them) but if you buy anything from any of the other major companies, it will be orders of magnitude better. Or if you buy something from marzo that also says "evo" and came out after 2010.

Also, last piece of hate: the I didn't think it was possible, because my rc3 was literally the stickiest fork I've ever ridden (or at least, stickiest fresh from a rebuild, I've ridden some pretty beat forks), but then it turned out that marzo was able to top that with their piece known as the rcv, which was even worse. It felt like it was on a ratcheting system of 2.5 inches - it would either move in 2.5 inch increments, or it wouldn't move at all. And the rebound was equally as sticky and terrible.

So yeah: the moral I'm getting at is, go out and give the fork to the local homeless man, or sell it to some kid trying to get into FR for a hundred bucks, and put your money towards a good fork. It doesn't have to be something super nice, or new even. You can find new totems for pretty cheap, and used ones for even less, you should be able to find something for around ~300-400 used that will be a million times better then whats on there.

Also, I had that frame too, and I think its pretty well worth investing in an adjustable angle headset - the frame is pretty steep and high, but if you get the HA a little slacker and the bb a little lower, its one of the best park bikes out there. Strong, great suspension, and with a slacker HA and lower bb, good geo too!

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Never had an issue with my 08 Marz 888 but it had been works tuned before leaving the office so maybe I got lucky? Good point on the Angleset, slack it out with the 2 degree cups!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Never had an issue with my 08 Marz 888 but it had been works tuned before leaving the office so maybe I got lucky? Good point on the Angleset, slack it out with the 2 degree cups!
You're the normally quiet majority; many people had issues, most people did not. Rock Shox has had issues, especially with Boxxers on and off from 2003-2010, manitou had the aforementioned Stance line and SPV/CVT fiasco. I have always had excellent CS from both Manitou and Marzocchi, but never Rock Shox - despite many a fans claim of good CS. (Good thing my RS warranty is void with PUSH guts in my Pike.)

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
The 66 had issues for sure, but the frame is super beefy. Having said that mine started to crack in the headtube after 5 years of substantial abuse (Giant replaced it in less than 2 weeks). The head angle is steep so I put in the works 1.5 angle cups and also ran a Boxxer worl cup. I did love that bike especially for park riding at Highland along with some races here and there.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
The 66 had issues for sure, but the frame is super beefy. Having said that mine started to crack in the headtube after 5 years of substantial abuse (Giant replaced it in less than 2 weeks). The head angle is steep so I put in the works 1.5 angle cups and also ran a Boxxer worl cup. I did love that bike especially for park riding at Highland along with some races here and there.
No, some 66's had issues, and if someone bought an RCV, they expected low end damping and didnt dismiss the fork due to their budget constraints.

Of all the **** piled on RS, Manitou and MZ -- this is the most undeserved negative rep by far.

You want high end damping, dont buy RCV; and the slop and damper issues were not nearly as widespread as claims would seem to indicate. (where Cartridge/Alignment issues were all but universal for RS in 2010... (and porting issues in 2002-2004...( and....) ) )

AAAANNNNDDD, my 2003 Manitou Firefly TPC+ still outperforms 90% of the hyped BS 10 years later.

Put the marketing materials down please.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
No, some 66's had issues, and if someone bought an RCV, they expected low end damping and didnt dismiss the fork due to their budget constraints.

Of all the **** piled on RS, Manitou and MZ -- this is the most undeserved negative rep by far.

You want high end damping, dont buy RCV; and the slop and damper issues were not nearly as widespread as claims would seem to indicate. (where Cartridge/Alignment issues were all but universal for RS in 2010... (and porting issues in 2002-2004...( and....) ) )

AAAANNNNDDD, my 2003 Manitou Firefly TPC+ still outperforms 90% of the hyped BS 10 years later.

Put the marketing materials down please.
I guess I should clarify that most of the 2008 Glory 1's had an issue with the 66(early release). Marz took care of mine and I sold it because I wanted a triple instead.