Quantcast

2008 Masters World Championships

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Well it's over. Thank God for that.

Tuesday was the official starting day for the event, with a course inspection-only day. The kiwi contingent arrived in town too late on Tuesday to walk the course, so we set up camp next to a vanload of UK mates. EZ-Up and campsite sorted, we went for a wander around the town. Dinner and beers at the infamous 'Lou Pingouin' to catch up with the owner, then bed.

Organisation at the race was in a word, sh1te. One queue for more than 500 riders was incredible. Add to that all the damn freeriders in the resort wanting a go too. There are 3 lifts basically next to each other and they opened the slowest one. 3 cabins (2 riders, 2 bikes per cabin) per minute, means slow progress. We finally got on the lifts and did a recon run of the track. Super-dry, off-camber and high-speed describes it best. Awesome fun and great flow from top to bottom. The deep dust meant following a rider was pretty difficult, especially as you really had to get your line spot-on.

Foot out loose

I passed up on practice Thursday morning. I couldn't be arsed with the queues, so pushed to the front and went up sans bike. Walked the course, spotted a few good lines and went back up in the afternoon to try them out. With the lift lines being as they were, 4 runs a day were possible. Back to the camp to strip bikes and eat.

Friday, one practice in the morning, then seedings. The Misser brothers were the fastest on the day, coming first and second. Good times..

Missing the last berm

Saturday, one practice in the morning, then hours of waiting for your start time. Thats racing. My race run went well: a couple of fvck-ups with a few bloody gouges and patches of skin missing, but managed to keep going to the finish line. My result is bad for me, but at least no chicks beat me. The day's entertainment were the 2 Mojo riders (Porter being one of them) in skinsuits and peakless helmets. Argh.

Back on the gas

Results:
1st - Lee Bertram (UK)
2nd - Shaums March (USA)
3rd - Pau Misser (Spain)

Saturday evening saw a ridiculous amount of drinking, with the Pingouin bar running out of beer, but the drunk owner releasing bottles of whisker and Riccard. He then dragged anybody and everybody to the next bar/nightclub, Le Loup-Garou. Lars Tribus, armed with a pocketful of stickers, proceded to cover everyone and everything with Chumba racing logos. Shaums aided us in the drinking of the taps dry. Good night out.

Sunday, half dead, we went home.

Anyways, here's my video of the race. Just put it together today:

Youtube, as usual, wrecks the video quality. If anyone really wants a good copy, let me know.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
We couldn't believe it either. We placed numerous complaints to the officials and offered ideas for solutions. They did use our double line idea for this race and they are going to make some changes next year.

It wasn't enough to ruin a fine week of racing though.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
As far as I know. They are addressing this (and last) year's uplift problems too for next year.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Thanks for that! Man, it's uncanny how anywhere in the world can look like North Idaho on race day :D.

Wish I could get there - - just have to hope the Worlds come back over here someday before I hang it up.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I was under the impression Pra Loup had a 5 year deal...

Could be wrong, but that would bean they have it another 3 years...

I would think the event will probably stay in Europe anyway for a while now. The number of participants is huge. UCI would love that.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Hey Damo, how did Christian Talefer end up? He was looking good when we were riding on Mont Ventoux about 3 weeks ago and I pegged him for the win.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
He was 5th in 35-40 age group. Looking fast for practice.

He seeded first, but dropped a few seconds in his final run. His split time looked good too, so maybe something happened on the bottom half.

I think he placed top 15 scratch?