Quantcast

2008 MS Ride - Windsor, CT

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I got tired of waiting for IAB to start a thread so here are my photos.

I joined BadDNA, QuoFan, BigT, IAB, MBC, and others on the 50 mile ride.

Here is the group with their race faces on (even though it wasn't a race) at the start line.

Right from the start BadDNA edged his way to the front so I figured I'd follow him. I didn't realize he as going to treat this like a race. The 19mph average pace at the very front of the pack quickly dropped the rest of the group. But we broke off at the first rest stop to wait for the others.

IAB at the first reststop.

BadDNA looking very proud of his performance in the first leg.

MBC rolls in.

Me (one of the few without a RM jersey. Put me on the list next time you order).

QuoFan trying to run me over.

Mark showing off his mtn bike with slicks.

IAB got a tiny bug in his eye and whined about it for about 5 minutes (wuss) lol.

BigT. I thought it was funny that we both have C'dale mtn bikes and Bianchi road bikes.

On the road.

After the first rest break BadDNA and I tried to slow down a bit but we still got ahead of the group and again waited at the second rest stop. Our average dropped from 18.8mph down to 18mph.

IAB and MBC at the second rest stop.

After the second rest stop we said we would slow down but we didn't. We got our average back up to 18.5mph and arrived at the third rest stop. After about 10 minutes we began to wonder what happened to the rest of the group. About 5 minutes later they rolled in. Appantly someone got a flat. I joked that they would have to do really well on the next stages to make up for their time deficit. :)

Group at the third stop.

IAB and MBC rolling into the fourth and final rest stop.

Again, BadDNA and I said we were going to be more social on the last leg but the busy road prevented that. Then when we got back into the country they were nowhere in sight so we charged on. After one of the hills I got ahead of BadDNA but strained my calf passing riders on an uphill so I slowed down. BadDNA caught up at a light and we rode the last 10 miles with me on his wheel. Then in the home streatch I tried to get him into a sprint finish but he didn't want any part of it so I got ahead. I turned in the wrong parking lot though so he won because I had to cut across the grass to the finish line.

Group after the ride.

See a few more photos here.

Also see my gps data here. The flat areas of the graphs are when we were at the rest stops.

Great time with some great people. This was the first time I touched my road bike since July of last year so I was expecting to be really slow/sore/etc. But I actually felt really great. Being so long off the road bike made really appreciate how fast they are.

Last edited:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My pics....

The local news was there! No ridemonkeys were interviewed though. LAME.

MBC before the ride.

Monkeys getting ready to ride. Notice MBC's subtle use of four parking spots.

The 50 milers getting ready for the start. The entire group much much larger than last year. Last year's horrible weather no doubt kept people away.

The 50 mile monkeys! (L-R) Woodsguy, BadDNA, Quo Fan, MMcG (hidden in the back), Brian (non-posting monkey), IAB, MBC, BigT, Cynthia (non-monkey)

Roadies! It was kind of cool with so many riders. We were in the middle of a huge pack for the first 15 miles or so.

Woodsguy! Like, the only time I was actually close enough to him to get a picture.

Action pic.

Brian. He was riding a 26" MTB and kept up with us the entire ride...until his tire failed with 5 miles to go.

BigT and Quo Fan. I don't know what Quo Fan is celebrating....he's got like 35 miles to go at this point. :D

BigT and Quo Fan again.

The first of like 42 flat tires for Brian.

MMcG. 29ER BOY.

BigT followed by MBC.

Rest stop #3. I just noticed Quo Fan's salute. :rofl:

Rest stop #4. The rest stops were a good place for us to regroup each time. After rest stop 4, it was 15 miles to the end of the ride.

Sag wagon.

Our team enjoying the free post-ride eats.

weRd

What a great day for a ride and such a fun event. The highlight though was probably the free snow cones. I can't believe no other monkeys took advantage of that. :disgust1:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A big shout out to MBC and IAB for coordinating everything for everyone and for the pre-ride BBQ at their place on Saturday!!! Good friends, good eats, good weather, good riding = kickass weekend!!! :thumb:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
100 miles is going to be tough. I'm guessing it would take almost 6 hours not including breaks. So that would mean we would miss lunch!

Nemesis

Chimp
Jan 13, 2008
Middletown
Saturday night, 9:30PM I put a slick onto the back wheel and pumped it up to 64lbs (65 is the max) and set it onto the ground, 1 minute later BOOOMMM!!:banghead:. The RIM split on the inside, the tire popped out and the tube exploded (See picture). 10:00pm, Called MBC and IAB and they had a spare wheel I could use for the ride... Thanks a bunch, you saved the day! :banana:

Attachments

Saturday night, 9:30PM I put a slick onto the back wheel and pumped it up to 64lbs (65 is the max) and set it onto the ground, 1 minute later BOOOMMM!!:banghead:. The RIM split on the inside, the tire popped out and the tube exploded (See picture). 10:00pm, Called MBC and IAB and they had a spare wheel I could use for the ride... Thanks a bunch, you saved the day! :banana:
I'm equally concerned for your safety riding that fork! Got pics of that?

Nemesis

Chimp
Jan 13, 2008
Middletown
My fork? What wrong with my fork? I thought it was supposed to wobble front to back :). I'm going to take it apart and see if I can resolve the issue, maybe just drain all that damn oil out that's been leaking for the past few years. Apparently I don't need it anyway.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
100 miles is going to be tough. I'm guessing it would take almost 6 hours not including breaks. So that would mean we would miss lunch!
On that terrain, <6 hours. I did the Boston-Hyannis century in 6:15 this year, including stops and having to walk across the Sagamore bridge.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
On that terrain, <6 hours. I did the Boston-Hyannis century in 6:15 this year, including stops and having to walk across the Sagamore bridge.
101mi/17mph=5hr 56min
101mi/17.5mph=5hr 46min
101mi/18mph=5hr 37min
101mi/18.5mph=5hr 28min

7 breaks @ 3min = 21min

Its doable but it is going to be tough to keep it under 6 hours.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
hahahaha.....have fun, guys. There is no way in hell I can keep up that sort of pace for 100 miles. I'll do the century, but I need to stay at my comfortable 16 MPH pace or I'll be dead after 25 miles. I'll meet you at the checkpoints or the finish line.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
hahahaha.....have fun, guys. There is no way in hell I can keep up that sort of pace for 100 miles. I'll do the century, but I need to stay at my comfortable 16 MPH pace or I'll be dead after 25 miles. I'll meet you at the checkpoints or the finish line.
101mi/16mph=6hr 19min
101mi/16.5mph=6hr 7min

I agree. 16-17mph is more realistic. So it looks like it will take us at least 6.5 hours with short rest breaks and no mechanicals getting us back at 1:30.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
101mi/17mph=5hr 56min
101mi/17.5mph=5hr 46min
101mi/18mph=5hr 37min
101mi/18.5mph=5hr 28min

7 breaks @ 3min = 21min

Its doable but it is going to be tough to keep it under 6 hours.
The key would be working together / doing the pace line thing.

7 breaks is a lot.

What time is lunch at the finish?

It's less work to stay in the draft at 18 then to just ride on your own at 16.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
The key would be working together / doing the pace line thing.

7 breaks is a lot.

What time is lunch at the finish?

It's less work to stay in the draft at 18 then to just ride on your own at 16.
We'll just put Splat in front at 18mph and we can all follow in his slipstream! That might be mentally taxing though for 6 hours! I don't know about you guys but I think it is a little tough staying a few inches off the lead rider's wheel. It gets even more difficult the more riders you have.

I said 7 breaks because that is how many they have set up.

I think lunch starts at noon but we showed up after 1pm and they still had plenty of food.

Last edited:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
101mi/16mph=6hr 19min
101mi/16.5mph=6hr 7min
This is right where I was, solo. If we get a decent paceline going, like Doug said, it's a lot easier to move along at 18+ than it is to do 16 solo. Let's get a few training rides together and work on the group communication.