Quantcast

2008 Nissan Skyline GT-R

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
I read in scc its going to be powered by a turbo'ed 4 cyl. honda engine. The ones out of preludes and i dunno what cars the b series engines were in but those. Any way its 2.2 lt. or 1.6/8 lt. engine

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Meh. I'd buy something else for the money. I hate the light pvssy steering in Japanese cars, they feel so fragile compared to German cars with nice weighted steering and precise controls.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
erastusboy said:
I read in scc its going to be powered by a turbo'ed 4 cyl. honda engine. The ones out of preludes and i dunno what cars the b series engines were in but those. Any way its 2.2 lt. or 1.6/8 lt. engine
Bseries engines were originally in Integras are are now in the CivicSi (or at least were...not sure if the new ones have it or not). The Hseries engines are what was in the Preludes. I can't imagine that they'd use one of those engines in it in the first place though... :rolleyes:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Discostu said:
There is not going to be a Honda 4 cylinder in a Nissan Skyline. Try 3.5-4 liter v6
Agreed. Probably something at least as powerful as the 350z and the prior 300zx I bet. Of course I have no idea how these are spec'd over in Japan though... But if it's anything like the twin turbo'd 300zx I'm sure we'll be expecting 300hp+. :cool:

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
Bicyclist said:
Meh. I'd buy something else for the money. I hate the light pvssy steering in Japanese cars, they feel so fragile compared to German cars with nice weighted steering and precise controls.

I wouldn't judge all Japanese cars without driving them. If you ever come to Santa Barbara, you can drive my EVO, and you will have a new definition for steering response and roadfeel from then on....

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Bicyclist said:
It's probably not just the steering, most japanese sports cars are much lighter than german pigs. It didn't used to be this way but they are so cramed with luxury crap now that they weigh a ton. Thus needing a bigger and heavier engine.

There's no way the GT-R is getting a honda engine. 6cyl turbo is my guess.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
dfinn said:
It's probably not just the steering, most japanese sports cars are much lighter than german pigs. It didn't used to be this way but they are so cramed with luxury crap now that they weigh a ton. Thus needing a bigger and heavier engine.

There's no way the GT-R is getting a honda engine. 6cyl turbo is my guess.
I'm speaking more of older German cars, so I guess it's not a fair comparison.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Bicyclist said:
I'm speaking more of older German cars, so I guess it's not a fair comparison.
I'll agree with you there. VW stopped making cars in 1992 and my favorite BMW is the e30. I'm not a huge fan of older audis but I've been pretty happy with my CQ, although that car falls into the pig category.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Bicyclist said:
I like the way the MK4 Supra drives. Not to mention the fact it spanks most anything in stock form.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
dfinn said:
I'll agree with you there. VW stopped making cars in 1992 and my favorite BMW is the e30. I'm not a huge fan of older audis but I've been pretty happy with my CQ, although that car falls into the pig category.
Yeah. New German cars definately have lost their focus, except for the new GTI. It seems for current stuff Japanese cars and Italian cars are it, yet I don't really like either.

I guess that's why I own a '70 914. :clue:

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
COmtbiker12 said:
Bseries engines were originally in Integras are are now in the CivicSi (or at least were...not sure if the new ones have it or not). The Hseries engines are what was in the Preludes. I can't imagine that they'd use one of those engines in it in the first place though... :rolleyes:
The last two gen's of Si's have k series.

I suppose I'm skeptical as well, but I def. read that in the last issue of SCC I will find the exact article when i get back to school (later today) but It for sure said that Nissan was buying up honda's stock of left over h and b series engines. Maybe it was the april issue.

If it was me turbo'ed inline 6 (if nissan even has an i-6)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
atrokz said:
Go drive a new 3 series and tell me BMW has lost it's feel.......
Meh. BMW seems more concerned with luxury and safety now than a driving experience. I much prefer the old M3 to the new one, and most magazine tests will agree with me.

By the way I was in the old M3 as a passenger as we were test driving one and we hit 140 in a 65 and it felt like nothing. :cool: I love that car.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Bicyclist said:
Meh. BMW seems more concerned with luxury and safety now than a driving experience. I much prefer the old M3 to the new one, and most magazine tests will agree with me.

By the way I was in the old M3 as a passenger as we were test driving one and we hit 140 in a 65 and it felt like nothing. :cool: I love that car.
What's the point in going fast if you don't feel it? It's like sex with a cheap condom.
I'll just stick to my motorcycle when I want to go fast.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
noname said:
What's the point in going fast if you don't feel it? It's like sex with a cheap condom.
I'll just stick to my motorcycle when I want to go fast.
The point was it carried its speed well.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Bicyclist said:
The point was it carried its speed well.
Oddly enough, that's my biggest problem with modern automobiles. you have to go so bloody fast to really push them, by the time you really get that rush you're so far on the other side of the law it's garranteed jail time or serious injury if you screw up. The most fun I ever had in a car was pushing an old Triumph TR-6 through the back country peggin the motor and sliding the car all over the place. Granted my Miata would do the same roads much faster with no fuss, but it wouldn't have been quite as much fun.
I guess all I'm sayin is that technology is really starting to cause modern machines to lose that visceral feel that is what atracts people to them in the first place.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
The new GT-R is ugly as sin. If that's the car the US will be getting then I am not at all excited. The 05 GT-R has to be my favorite.

Apr 4, 2006
I wanted a Skyline but couldnt get one. I got the 2006 CivicSi instead, DOHC V-tech is an awesome engine and gets to 130 mighty fast. iIt also gets 31 mpg.

Anywyas cant wait untill they start selling those skylines.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
noname said:
Oddly enough, that's my biggest problem with modern automobiles. you have to go so bloody fast to really push them, by the time you really get that rush you're so far on the other side of the law it's garranteed jail time or serious injury if you screw up. The most fun I ever had in a car was pushing an old Triumph TR-6 through the back country peggin the motor and sliding the car all over the place. Granted my Miata would do the same roads much faster with no fuss, but it wouldn't have been quite as much fun.
I guess all I'm sayin is that technology is really starting to cause modern machines to lose that visceral feel that is what atracts people to them in the first place.
Yeah, I would definately never own one. I was just stunned at how composed it was. In the corners it was fast...

But that said, I would never buy a new car. I'll stick with my old Porsche 914, thank you very much.

It's such a fun little car, even though 0-60 is about 12 sec. Slow in a straight line but quick enough in the corners to put a smile on my face! :love:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
EaternFreerider said:
I wanted a Skyline but couldnt get one. I got the 2006 CivicSi instead, DOHC V-tech is an awesome engine and gets to 130 mighty fast. iIt also gets 31 mpg.
You get an F.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I love driving my DA Integra it drives great and I'm building it myself. The new Skyline will be sweet though...D

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
noname said:
:stupid:

my wrx might not be the fastest thing on the road* when compared to big cruisers i see around here such as the m5 and s55 but what i really like about it is its feel: sure, it rattles and shakes about on its stiff springs, but poly bushings, 7k/5k sprung coilovers, and an external wastegate on the turbo make the driving experience visceral indeed.

* (although it is plenty quick with 283 whp, albeit somewhat peaky ones, pushing ~3000 lbs. 3000 comes from 3085 stock adjusted for lighter hood/coilovers/battery/rotors/flywheel, no spare)

what would really be fun would be an elise/exige, caterham 7, spec miata, or some kind of open wheel formula ___ racer... :) something close to 2000 lbs.

finally, the concept that nissan would use a honda inline 4 in a skyline is ludicrous. the skyline has always had inline 6s, and although it's likely they'll use a v6 or v8 in this one. of course, they'll probably make it a 3700 lb luxocruiser boat... :dead:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Whats the weight on the 350Z? Piggy? I figured it would be...

The 300ZX TT wasn't on the light side, either, if I recall.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
blue said:
Whats the weight on the 350Z? Piggy? I figured it would be...

The 300ZX TT wasn't on the light side, either, if I recall.
google sez between 3197 and 3247 lbs for the 350Z. not bad, considering the Z32 300ZX TT was 3533 according to sport compact car. edmunds says the 1996 300ZX non-turbo was 3287 lbs.

as a former na Z32 driver i can say that ~3300 lbs + 222 hp was fun but not breathtaking, and the car wasn't super tossable although certainly not a pig.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
if i were to drop 70k on a sportscar.... it would be because i´d already have at least one more daily driving car.

and then, i´d tarmac spec a group-n evo or impreza... or i´d buy one of those british "make it yourself" kit cars like the ultima or caterham or something like that.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
ALEXIS_DH said:
if i were to drop 70k on a sportscar.... it would be because i´d already have at least one more daily driving car.

and then, i´d tarmac spec a group-n evo or impreza... or i´d buy one of those british "make it yourself" kit cars like the ultima or caterham or something like that.
why would you start with a group N car? isn't group N basically stock + lots and lots of safety equipment?