Quantcast

2008 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
justsomeguy said:
i think he's just talking about the bmw 3 and 5 series compared to their older counterparts, and possibly audi (although i don't recall any really hard edged models in recent memory). other german makes are excepted :D

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Toshi said:
i think he's just talking about
I think he's just another dip**** kid but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and waiting for his answer with baited breath...

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Toshi said:
:stupid:

my wrx might not be the fastest thing on the road* when compared to big cruisers i see around here such as the m5 and s55 but what i really like about it is its feel: sure, it rattles and shakes about on its stiff springs, but poly bushings, 7k/5k sprung coilovers, and an external wastegate on the turbo make the driving experience visceral indeed.

* (although it is plenty quick with 283 whp, albeit somewhat peaky ones, pushing ~3000 lbs. 3000 comes from 3085 stock adjusted for lighter hood/coilovers/battery/rotors/flywheel, no spare)

what would really be fun would be an elise/exige, caterham 7, spec miata, or some kind of open wheel formula ___ racer... :) something close to 2000 lbs.

finally, the concept that nissan would use a honda inline 4 in a skyline is ludicrous. the skyline has always had inline 6s, and although it's likely they'll use a v6 or v8 in this one. of course, they'll probably make it a 3700 lb luxocruiser boat... :dead:
I've driven just about every iteration of the WRX released here, they are definately fast and fun. But horsepower gets old real quick and even though the wrxs pulled a lot of Gs in the corners, none of them ever gave me the same conectivity I enjoyed from my 96 spec miata. There is something exillarating about feeling the subtle shifts in tracion and yaw as you simultaneously manipulate the throttle, brake, and steering while railing through a corner way too fast.
My only complaint with the WRX(aside from having a roof) was that it took away some of that. It made driving fast reeeeeellyyy easy.
For an all wheel drive car though, it definately feels a lot better than many of the other cars I've driven lately.
If you ever get the chance, beg a ride in a race ready miata, or an old Austin Healy, maybe even an old triumph spitfire or Alfa Romeo, if you love to drive you won't be disappointed, then you'll be joining me on the vintage sports car bandwagon.:)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
noname said:
I've driven just about every iteration of the WRX released here, they are definately fast and fun. But horsepower gets old real quick and even though the wrxs pulled a lot of Gs in the corners, none of them ever gave me the same conectivity I enjoyed from my 96 spec miata. There is something exillarating about feeling the subtle shifts in tracion and yaw as you simultaneously manipulate the throttle, brake, and steering while railing through a corner way too fast.
My only complaint with the WRX(aside from having a roof) was that it took away some of that. It made driving fast reeeeeellyyy easy.
For an all wheel drive car though, it definately feels a lot better than many of the other cars I've driven lately.
If you ever get the chance, beg a ride in a race ready miata, or an old Austin Healy, maybe even an old triumph spitfire or Alfa Romeo, if you love to drive you won't be disappointed, then you'll be joining me on the vintage sports car bandwagon.:)
oh, i agree with you completely. i'd be in a spec miata right now if i could live with 2 seats, a convertible, and rwd. (i can't, not as my only car.)

however, i'd ask you to give the wrx another chance after driving a properly prepped one. i agree that they're not that great out of the box handling wise (poor tires, too much roll, too much slop, understeer). with proper tires, camber plates, -2.5 dialed in up front, solid endlinks, big swaybars (24mm f/r in my setup), and the aforementioned poly bushings + stiffly sprung coilovers the car becomes a lot closer to your old sportscar ideal. maybe it still has too much tire and power to really push it to its limits legally, but it does become a lot more communicative and tossable.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Toshi said:
oh, i agree with you completely. i'd be in a spec miata right now if i could live with 2 seats, a convertible, and rwd. (i can't, not as my only car.)

however, i'd ask you to give the wrx another chance after driving a properly prepped one. i agree that they're not that great out of the box handling wise (poor tires, too much roll, too much slop, understeer). with proper tires, camber plates, -2.5 dialed in up front, solid endlinks, big swaybars (24mm f/r in my setup), and the aforementioned poly bushings + stiffly sprung coilovers the car becomes a lot closer to your old sportscar ideal. maybe it still has too much tire and power to really push it to its limits legally, but it does become a lot more communicative and tossable.

you put that work and parts into just about any sports car and it's going to become more communicative and tossable.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
dfinn said:
you put that work and parts into just about any sports car and it's going to become more communicative and tossable.
true. but cars that start out all boatlike won't magically shed 1000 lbs with the above treatment. furthermore, judging from the local autocross scene (where every car imaginable gets the same tires/swaybars/suspension treatment) the wrx/sti is quite a good platform to start from, and not just for wet events either ;) .

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
blue said:
I'm gonna have to agree about the Elise...mmm...tasty tasty Elise.
It's cool if your 4'8" maybe. I tried to sit in one at Portland International Raceway last year, it was a joke. I'll take an Arial Atom over the Lotus. The lotus is an over priced Toyota MR2 anyway :D

<edit> and if I drove a Miata, I would have to kick my own ass. I don't car how well it drives.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I drove one at an autocross race a few months ago, didn't seem that cramped to me (Any moreso than my Honda Accord), and I'm 6'1.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I would rather buy a car and build it up with the exact parts I want then spend the money on a Lotus. I guess my thoughts are the same with MTB I would much rather buy frame only then complete bike...D

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Toshi said:
what would really be fun would be a... caterham 7
Fun indeed.

If you've never seen one, they are so worth a look. My very good friend runs the company below. The best things about these cars is that you can EASILY do the work yourself, and the entry-level price is similar to that of a sporty sedan.

http://www.rmsci.com/

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Im not sure if anyone ever posted some legit engine info to counter the random retarded speculation about honda 4-cylinders and big V8s. The engine is a twin turbo 3.5 litre V6 codeveloped with cosworth and projected to produce around 450 hp. It's based on the same VQ architecture in every nissan V6. Suspension was developed with help from lotus. This has all been well reported in all of the car mags for the last year or so.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
BMXman said:
I would rather buy a car and build it up with the exact parts I want then spend the money on a Lotus. I guess my thoughts are the same with MTB I would much rather buy frame only then complete bike...D
Something makes me doubt you will do a better job than lotus... not to mention there's hardly a platfrom availible anywhere that even has the potential to drive as well as the elise.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
TheInedibleHulk said:
Something makes me doubt you will do a better job than lotus... not to mention there's hardly a platfrom availible anywhere that even has the potential to drive as well as the elise.

now that's funny....you make some pretty big assumptions...D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The Ariel Atom is going to be available in the US in the next model year. In the UK it is powered by a Honda 4, in the US it will have the option for the new Chevy 4.

I ordered the info, I hope to have one before next summer. :D

<edit> $45k, not bad. GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 300hp 250 ft/lbs Supercharged plus a few extra upgrades.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
jimmydean said:
The Ariel Atom is going to be available in the US in the next model year. In the UK it is powered by a Honda 4, in the US it will have the option for the new Chevy 4.

I ordered the info, I hope to have one before next summer. :D

<edit> $45k, not bad. GM Ecotec 2.0 Liter 300hp 250 ft/lbs Supercharged plus a few extra upgrades.

I wonder how far it would fly after 40 mph side impact crash?

That car is scary looking.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
Im not sure if anyone ever posted some legit engine info to counter the random retarded speculation about honda 4-cylinders and big V8s. The engine is a twin turbo 3.5 litre V6 codeveloped with cosworth and projected to produce around 450 hp. It's based on the same VQ architecture in every nissan V6. Suspension was developed with help from lotus. This has all been well reported in all of the car mags for the last year or so.
Checked the mag again. Def April issue, Guess I've been had.

But now I have another question. Why twin turbo? I was under the assumption that with all the hybrid turbos now it wasnt the best way to do it.

Does this only really apply to 4 cyl or is Nissan just using the twin turbo thing as a selling point/throw back to the older GT-R's?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
stevew said:
I wonder how far it would fly after 40 mph side impact crash?

That car is scary looking.
Just remember, it's a sport bike for fat guys :thumb:

I would be betting on the ability to AVOID a crash first.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
jimmydean said:
Just remember, it's a sport bike for fat guys :thumb:

I would be betting on the ability to AVOID a crash first.
The F60 and Ariel Atom better look out...

Caparo T1

This 1,100-pound street-legal road rocket was designed by ex-McLaren engineers, and can reportedly go from zero to 60 in 2.5 seconds with a maximum speed of 200 mph.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
syadasti said:
The F60 and Ariel Atom better look out...

Caparo T1
All that for only $270,00? Wow, the market will be flooded with those in no time.

It's damn nice, but a little out of my price range. I'll keep my sights on the Atom 2 for now, thanks.

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
erastusboy said:
Checked the mag again. Def April issue, Guess I've been had.

But now I have another question. Why twin turbo? I was under the assumption that with all the hybrid turbos now it wasnt the best way to do it.

Does this only really apply to 4 cyl or is Nissan just using the twin turbo thing as a selling point/throw back to the older GT-R's?
it's a V6. One turbo for each bank is more efficient and you can run two smaller turbos that spool up quicker to reduce turbo lag. Volvo did the same thing in the 90's with their S80 twin turbo inline six. (FWD btw.)

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
noname said:
it's a V6. One turbo for each bank is more efficient and you can run two smaller turbos that spool up quicker to reduce turbo lag. Volvo did the same thing in the 90's with their S80 twin turbo inline six. (FWD btw.)
and racers can ditch the two turbos for one REALLY big one. :love:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
what they said... Twin turbo may not be the most efficient setup in terms of power but it goes a long way in driveability and reliability.

So BMXman... what is your grand master plan to build the best car ever? Forgive me for not giving you the benefit of the doubt, but usually when someone says that (especially on the internet) they have some retarded idea about a mid-engine civic or a twincharged neon with underbodies or something like that. Either that or they grossly underestimate the amount of time and money their project will consume. Please enlighten us with your superior engineering prowess that would put Bruce McLaren to shame.

That said, I did a homemade fast car project... it looks like this. Sorry about the big pics, my friend who made and hosts the site is in africa.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
TheInedibleHulk said:
what they said... Twin turbo may not be the most efficient setup in terms of power but it goes a long way in driveability and reliability.

So BMXman... what is your grand master plan to build the best car ever? Forgive me for not giving you the benefit of the doubt, but usually when someone says that (especially on the internet) they have some retarded idea about a mid-engine civic or a twincharged neon with underbodies or something like that. Either that or they grossly underestimate the amount of time and money their project will consume. Please enlighten us with your superior engineering prowess that would put Bruce McLaren to shame.

That said, I did a homemade fast car project... it looks like this. Sorry about the big pics, my friend who made and hosts the site is in africa.
That is freaking kick@$$! Wow! Using RS Shocks is a nice touch. What's the powerplant? Motorcycle motor?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
moff_quigley said:
That is freaking kick@$$! Wow! Using RS Shocks is a nice touch. What's the powerplant? Motorcycle motor?
Fox gives EP pricing to engineering schools for their rear shocks used automotive projects :cool:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
It's a honda CBR600 motor from an F3. That thing was alot of fun, its a formula SAE knockoff me and a friend built our senior year of high school. We kept it running for about three years and this past christmas break we parted it out and put the motor on a 125 shifter kart chassis.

Theres some videos of me driving it on Ben's website

http://home.comcast.net/~mtnbikeman/WebSiteTwo/Pages/Pages/gocart.htm

The red Mitsu VR4 in the video "the race" has somewhere around 600hp and runs 11s. At the bottom of the hill we were going a bit over 110 and had to shut it down. That was mighty scary being 3 inches off the ground going 100+ with a 4000 pound car a couple feet to my left. Enjoy.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
blue said:
What would be your base platform D? Buy for $10k and use the $35k that you would spend on the Lotus for...

Something like that. Right now my project car is an Integra, I still have a CRX that needs some love...but the basic idea would be to buy a car with whatever platform you wanted...and build up from that.

I have driven a few Lotus and I liked them....but now days I would rather buy a used NSX for about 25 grand and put another 15 grand into it...guaranteed to smoke any Lotus at a time attack event....of course I'm kind of a biased Honda guy :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
BMXman said:
Something like that. Right now my project car is an Integra, I still have a CRX that needs some love...but the basic idea would be to buy a car with whatever platform you wanted...and build up from that.

I have driven a few Lotus and I liked them....but now days I would rather buy a used NSX for about 25 grand and put another 15 grand into it...guaranteed to smoke any Lotus at a time attack event....of course I'm kind of a biased Honda guy :D
i don't remember NSXs winning any time attack events lately, even super snazzy all-carbon-body comptech ones... :D

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/130_0503_evo/index.html

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Toshi said:
i don't remember NSXs winning any time attack events lately, even super snazzy all-carbon-body comptech ones... :D

http://www.superstreetonline.com/featuredvehicles/130_0503_evo/index.html
I remember many years ago when Road and Track did a sports car challenge. It was MK4 Supra, MK3(or 4) RX7, Mitsu 3000 GT VR4, and the NSX.

The NSX was tops in the slalom, even over the awd/aws 3000. The Supra still stomped overall though. :love: