Quantcast

2008 Nissan Skyline GT-R

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
jimmydean said:
I remember many years ago when Road and Track did a sports car challenge. It was MK4 Supra, MK3(or 4) RX7, Mitsu 3000 GT VR4, and the NSX.

The NSX was tops in the slalom, even over the awd/aws 3000. The Supra still stomped overall though. :love:
the 3000GT has been and always will be a pig. what is its curb weight, 3800 lbs? 4000 even?

plus, this whole "time attack" deal is nice since it represents tuners' best efforts since it is essentially advertising. best efforts in this case include professional drivers, R compounds, good suspension setup, lots of power, essentially everything that BMXman would do (i imagine). this makes for a more fair comparison than of stock cars on rubber of unknown quality tested by pedestrian car magazines.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
BMXman said:
Something like that. Right now my project car is an Integra, I still have a CRX that needs some love...but the basic idea would be to buy a car with whatever platform you wanted...and build up from that.

I have driven a few Lotus and I liked them....but now days I would rather buy a used NSX for about 25 grand and put another 15 grand into it...guaranteed to smoke any Lotus at a time attack event....of course I'm kind of a biased Honda guy :D

How did I know you had a crx.....

An NSX project would be cool I'll give you that, and I cant deny it would probably be faster than a stock lotus. Comparing a used car that has gone down 65 percent in value to a brand new car really isnt fair. Wait until elise's start being availible for 20-something and people start working on or swapping out that toyota engine. The NSX was overpriced and not that fast new, despite having a cool layout and fairly lightweight construction. If the NSX was ever the car it could have been without the overconservative bean counters at Honda making it all mushy, it would be even cooler. Of course thats nothing you can't fix. I dont know how they ever expected to sell a car with an NA V6 for 80g. Gotta love rapid depreciation though, just as long as youre on the right side of it. For my 40g Ill take a turbo E36 M3, or maybe a used Z06 plus a supercharger. And I'll stake my supercharged Z06 against your NSX any day:) .

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
TheInedibleHulk said:
How did I know you had a crx.....

An NSX project would be cool I'll give you that, and I cant deny it would probably be faster than a stock lotus. Comparing a used car that has gone down 65 percent in value to a brand new car really isnt fair. Wait until elise's start being availible for 20-something and people start working on or swapping out that toyota engine. The NSX was overpriced and not that fast new, despite having a cool layout and fairly lightweight construction. If the NSX was ever the car it could have been without the overconservative bean counters at Honda making it all mushy, it would be even cooler. Of course thats nothing you can't fix. I dont know how they ever expected to sell a car with an NA V6 for 80g. Gotta love rapid depreciation though, just as long as youre on the right side of it. For my 40g Ill take a turbo E36 M3, or maybe a used Z06 plus a supercharger. And I'll stake my supercharged Z06 against your NSX any day:) .
knowing absolutely nothing about cars, i do love the lotus. theres a vid on google between a stock elise and a elise with a modded honda engine

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5439352464577164033&q=lotus+honda&pl=true

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
syadasti said:
Seems kind of slow and overpriced to me...

How do you figure, the 997 GT3 has not been tested. the one you are refering to is the 996 GT3 with what, 40 less horsepower. that, and try driving your go-kart in anything but nice weather. :rolleyes: And slow? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Still a nice go cart though!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
taking about affordable and fun track cars..

then i was in high school, mid 90s suzuki swift gti track cars were all the rage. me and a hs friend used to track them after school with a few other gtis. nice times.

they were pretty cheap, had 1.3 liter 100hp engines that buzzed up to 7000 rpm gutted and rollcaged were around 850kg.
but more importantly, and the reason i think they were great little track cars is they (with a few little modifications) could pull 1.0g. and were very cheap to mantain and build.