Quantcast

2008 Pats Peak date announced!

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
That damn mtn has beat me 3 years in a row :twitch:

....I hope to be smart enough to avoid another rematch

for the 6, 12, 24 (solo or team?), XC or DH ?
I'm not sure why I go back every year either, probably because it is close. Though earlier can only mean more mud.:shocked:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Can't do it because of the MS Bike Tour.

MBC and I are looking for two 24 hour races to do. Everything in the northeast is a frikkin schedule conflict expect for Great Glen.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Can't do it because of the MS Bike Tour.

MBC and I are looking for two 24 hour races to do. Everything in the northeast is a frikkin schedule conflict expect for Great Glen.

I heard from a guy at Pig Iron that the Great Glen course is a cakewalk compared with Dalton and/or The Churn and Burn Course.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
in what way? technically? neither seemed that technical, but it cant be in elevation beng churn didnt even have a real climb?

makes me think great glen would be boring "roadie" course??

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Iron Horse DH series #1 = May 31st - June 1st (Mount Snow VT)

So much for not conflicting with anything.
i'm going to take a wild guess and say that the organizers aren't too worried about all of the racers not showing up due to a downhill race...

edit: doh! should have looked at the flyer before posting.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
i'm going to take a wild guess and say that the organizers aren't too worried about all of the racers not showing up due to a downhill race...

edit: doh! should have looked at the flyer before posting.
:biggrin:

The Pats Peak Downhill Thrill
2-Day Event. USA Cycling Downhill State Championship event.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I think I am out this year. Moving the date was not very bright, with all the snow and then the rain will will get until then it will be a return of the god awful mud of 2 years ago. Also I have my son's 6th birthday party on Saturday.

I am thinking about great glen as well. I knew a few people who have done it and they said the course is smooth and the climbis not bad at all.

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I think I am out this year. Moving the date was not very bright, with all the snow and then the rain will will get until then it will be a return of the god awful mud of 2 years ago. Also I have my son's 6th birthday party on Saturday.

I am thinking about great glen as well. I knew a few people who have done it and they said the course is smooth and the climbis not bad at all.
I did great glen last year and I am far from what anyone would call "fit" and I wasnt bothered much by the course. The first couple of miles is almost all uphill and fairly steep so thats a bit rough but after that its fast ( big ring fast) and alot of fun.
I wasnt bothered by anything technically on the course but there was alot of people that seemed to be. The singletrack sections were alot of fun...fast and flowy

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Pre-Rode the course on Saturday with the wife or should I say what we could find of the course. We wound up riding up a portion of the downhill course. Ever do that? I wouldn't, highly unadvisable and highly damaging to your confidence level in your riding abilities.....

We're looking forward to our first 24 and we're nutts enough to do it as a 2 person. Waht doesn't kill you makes you stronger.......at least something like that. If you see a guy standing next to a Cannondale puking halfway up a climb in the middle of the afternoon or at night, it's just me....toss me a gu or something and I'll be fine.

Steve

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Pre-Rode the course on Saturday with the wife or should I say what we could find of the course. We wound up riding up a portion of the downhill course. Ever do that? I wouldn't, highly unadvisable and highly damaging to your confidence level in your riding abilities.....

We're looking forward to our first 24 and we're nutts enough to do it as a 2 person. Waht doesn't kill you makes you stronger.......at least something like that. If you see a guy standing next to a Cannondale puking halfway up a climb in the middle of the afternoon or at night, it's just me....toss me a gu or something and I'll be fine.

Steve
Good luck. It's looking like I am out this year. I have so many things I need to finalize and we need to do some work on my folks house and it's looking like this weekend's the time they want to do it.

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Thanks for the well wishes.....we may need it :brow:

We are having a complete attitude swap, she is worrying and I'm Mr. Positive, what gives.

Honestly our goal is something north of 15 or 16 laps and no friggin' DNFs I figure we normally do 20-25 mile rides on the weekends in about 3-4hours, so 20 laps is what, 10 laps each or 50 miles.....it is like doing two back to back 25 milers......riiiight. Oh and then there is the friggin mountain.

Either way we'll have fun, hopefully it won't rain too bad on us up there, mud was almost non-existent last weekend. Just in case I have a couple Mountain King Supersonics that should be here in time to swap out the rear tires if ned be. My Crossmarks pack up easy, her Karmas aren't as bad.

Oh Douglas, that is very important information to have, carbo drinks and all. However our cooler may have a little pain killer in it just in case.

Thanks

Steve

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
Splat.......if we could go 3 person, we would.

Heck go 24......you're gonna hurt either way.....at least with 24 you can justify the snooze in the middle of the ride........then get up and meet me at the top of the mountain for sunrise/cloud-rise, if I make it.

At least it won't be 100 degrees this time......might rain like a bastard but it won't be hot.:twitch:

Again, if you see a happily married couple on Cannondales (at least we will start off happily married) say hello, we'll be the ones with the giant tent.

Steve

River19

Chimp
Jan 27, 2008
We survived as well.

First ever MTB race, first ever attempt at anything like this and man was it fun and painful. Freakin' addictive.....

Met Splat exactly where I said I would......hammered laying on the ground at the top of a huge climb......

While Nancy and I didn't produce huge lap totals we did scratch out 13 laps and rode for all 24 hours, however I had two spectacular crashes that eventually took a little out of me, especially my 4:30am endo on the downhill....thanks to whoever kicked the 6" log into the middle of the trail......man that was a dusty landing.

Learned alot about what works for endurance racing and what doesn't. The "what doesn't" didn't help our lap totals but we hit most of our personal goals which is great.

Steve

Last edited: