Quantcast

2008 Pitch Pro shock upgrade

tom-swift

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Denver
I have a 2008 Specialized Pitch Pro with a Lyrik up front (160mm) and right now running it stock with the Fox RP2 in the rear (150mm). This would be a bit down the road but was curious about the plausibility of a shock upgrade to make the bike a little more viable on downhill trails. Right now from measuring it looks like the stock RP2 is 7.875" x 2.25". I like what I see in the new DHX AIR which is offered in the exact same size and some larger sizes. It looks like the next step up is 8.5" x 2.5" and I was wondering if something like that would work for my bike. If so, is there any easy way to tell how much higher the bike will ride and how much travel I would end up with?

Edit: Okay so I did some calculations which are more than likely completely wrong but I ended up the wheel riding about .45" lower (not sure where that would put the BB height) and about .6" more travel. Can anybody confirm that?

2010 DHX AIR
2008 Pitch Pro

Thanks,
Jamie

Last edited:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I'll start out by saying I don't have much experience in this sort of shock switching, but I don't think that if you managed to get that other shock to fit in there that it would ride right. I would think the leverage ratio wouldn't work with the modified shock stroke. Again, I don't know for sure but I wouldn't bother trying. Keep that bike as a trail bike, and get your self a DH rig. Used one if you have to. You'll always be better off with the right tool for the job rather than something that is cobbled together.

You'll have a better steering geometry, travel, and durability if you just get a DH bike. Otherwise you're pretty far outside of the designed purpose of the Pitch and you're likely to break it.

tom-swift

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Denver
Well put and a good point. Not trying to create an all out downhill rig out of my bike, just wanted to maybe make it a little bigger. What about just switching to a DHX of the same size/stroke? Would it be worth it? The downhill I've been riding isn't crazy and the Pitch has served me well. I would love to have a downhill bike but just don't have enough friends into it and more importantly can't afford it right now ;). Will wait to see if anyone else has input but I have a feeling you are right, thanks for the response.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Honestly, the RP2 is a pretty good shock. I can't honestly say that I'd recommend replacing it if it's working. You'll get some better damping controls if you switch to the DHX, but overall the ride difference probably wouldn't merit the sizable price tag at the part level the Pitch is at. You'd probably get the rear of the bike dialed then realize that the fork doesn't feel the same as the DHX, then want to replace the fork too...

If you don't have a ton of money then don't worry about upgrading suspension pieces that work. Take the money and buy a full face helmet or pads or save it towards a bigger bike. You can always find people to ride with if you need to, maybe a shop by you has a dh team or something.

tom-swift

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Denver
Good stuff, thanks for the info. Satisfied my curiosity, and I will most likely be putting money towards some protective gear. Hopefully next season I'll have saved enough to get a real downhill bike and rage the big stuff at Keystone.