Quantcast

2008 Spyder MTB products

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I just got in some of the 2008 Spyder stuff this afternoon. There have been a few posts floating around the web about their new mountain bike products, so I figured I'd share some pictures and first impressions with everyone. For those of you that don't know, their new protective base layers use gel d3o (www.d3o.com) panels that turn solid upon impact. I'm still not sure how well this will work on the mountain, but the idea behind it is pretty revolutionary in terms of protection. In the box I suprised to find a couple peices of their new riding apparel that I haven't seen online yet. Big thanks to Spyder for the promising product and way-sooner-than-expected delivery!

First up is their protective gear. Very nice fitting stuff. My only concern is the lack of spine protection, which I hope to find from someone else.
(front)

(back)

Second is their windbreaker and pant. I am not too sure how I feel about the color on the windbreaker, but it has a slim fit and the sleeves zip off into a vest, which was a pretty cool I thought. The nickers also have a nice slim fit which I personally like for DH, and they zip off into shorts. Pretty sharp looking as well.
(front)

(back)

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Cool, but the spine is the one thing they should really worry about. scrapes and broken forearms heal, spines on the other hand..
I agree 100%. I have a feeling that they didn't do the spine because of the cost of d3o. The top alone retails for $350, and I think if it were anymore they'd have a tough time selling it. I think I remember seeing a dainese spin-only protector a while back, so I'm going to try and hunt something like that down. Eitherway, if this stuff protects as well as my dainese, while feeling like I'm not wearing anything, it'll be well worth their asking price IMO.

How

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Area 51
Spyder makes the ultimate yuppie ski gear, so that stuff is probably super tech. Cool gear.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Dainese makes a spine-only protector that will work for you.
Stay's put with a velcro kidney belt.

I use one for racing on courses where I don't want to wear a full jacket.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
Spyder make some of the ugliest ski gear available, most of it is straight out of the 80s and not the good bit either. It's stuff for ski racers and instructors only.

Having said that I quite like the look of that gear and the idea of using d3o in a base layer is a great one but i can imagine it's only for impact resistance rather than proper protection. It doesn't seem to have any rigidity or restraint and will probably move around a bit in the case of a sliding accident - especially if it's only held in by a few layers of lycra. I imagine that's why they haven't bothered with a back protector.

Sounds very expensive. . . . . . .

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Spyder make some of the ugliest ski gear available, most of it is straight out of the 80s and not the good bit either. It's stuff for ski racers and instructors only.
I take it you haven't seen the Venom line... :rolleyes: It's sick. Spyder is t3h goods.

Loving the looks of the MTB stuff, can't wait to try it out.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I got a little square of the d30 stuff in the mail. We tried putting it on someone's head and then whacking it with a pedal wrench..... I think it works better when there's more than a 1.5"X1.5" square...

It probably also works better if you're don't do this while drinking lots of beer.

McNasty

Chimp
Dec 19, 2007
Utah
If anybody is interested in Spyder's Freeryde line, let me know. Special RideMonkey deals, 30-40% off! PM me if you are interested.