Quantcast

2008 Sun-Ringle Rims - which one

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
I'm trying to pick a set of Ringle rims to build my race wheelset. All the new numbers have me a bit confused, and I really don't know what the best width rim for a 2.5 - 2.7 tire should be.

I think I need the MTX 31, but I don't know.. Any ideas?? And even thou Mavic is a great rim, I'm a Ringle boy.

Sun-Ringle

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I would say avoid stay away from ringle rims, there not bad but there are alot of better offerings. Get some DTs (5.1s) or mavics (721s)

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Or you can go against the ramblings of TheMontashu and run what ever you want for rims.

If you want the mtx for rims, why not Run a MTX 33 up front and a MTX 31 on the back.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I know people are going to hammer me on this, but I run a Singletrack SL1 31mm wide, i run anything from a 2.35 to a 2.7 Never had any trouble. I know everything thinks the singletrack is crap, but thats just simply not true. I see ALT of people running single tracks, beat the hell out of them, and they keep running strong. I weigh in at 245 been beating mine for 5 years. I am going to be building up a new set soon, but mainly because of hub problems. Good wheel for a low price

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I know people are going to hammer me on this, but I run a Singletrack SL1 31mm wide, i run anything from a 2.35 to a 2.7 Never had any trouble. I know everything thinks the singletrack is crap, but thats just simply not true. I see ALT of people running single tracks, beat the hell out of them, and they keep running strong. I weigh in at 245 been beating mine for 5 years. I am going to be building up a new set soon, but mainly because of hub problems. Good wheel for a low price
single tracks are good, I've had great luck with them on my old bighit, and am running them on my hardtail. For a cheep rim that isnt to heavy there awesome.

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
ADD lites

MTX 29. 29mm rim
I was thinking about the ADD Lites. No problem with a maxxis 2.7 on the front with a 29mm rim?? For some reason I thought it needed to be a little bigger. If not we might have a winner.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
Rhyno Lite XLs (550g) are lighter than MTX29s (570g) and Singletracks (590g).
Same width as the MTX29.

My LBS mechanic build a lot of sun rims for DH/FR/Urban/DJ and BMX.
In his expirience the Rhyno Lite XLs are much stronger and more durable than single tracks. MTX29s are not proven and all the other MTX rims are much heavier than the Rhyno Lite XL.

I'm building up a set of 24" Rhyno Lite XLs for my hardtail, this seems to be the lightest option for my application.

If I were building 26" race wheels I'd go for the Mavic 721 or DT 5.1 (5.1 would be a better option for tubeless).

willie b

Chimp
Jul 28, 2007
Wake Forest, NC
Same width as the MTX29.

In his expirience the Rhyno Lite XLs are much stronger and more durable than single tracks. MTX29s are not proven and all the other MTX rims are much heavier than the Rhyno Lite XL.

I'm building up a set of 24" Rhyno Lite XLs for my hardtail, this seems to be the lightest option for my application.

If I were building 26" race wheels I'd go for the Mavic 721 or DT 5.1 (5.1 would be a better option for tubeless).
I have been running rhino lite XL's for about 7 years. They may not be the strongest, but for their weight they are very strong. Not to mention they are cheap. I run mine ghetto tubeless now and have good success. I run a 26/24 combo and have been very pleased with the durability. Back in the day I had a Doublewide and it was wasted in one season. For nearly half of the weight, the Rhino lite XL has out lasted it many times over. They are way underated. Probably because they lack the bling of the new stuff.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
SingleTRACK = Good! ( and DoubleTRACK = Good (Heavy, but 'dooky strong') )

SingleWIDE = Pooooooop! ( and DoubleWIDE = Pooooop-cubed (HEAVY! NOT Dooky Strong!)

see what I did there?

MTX are good rims - 33 for a 2.7, 31 could get away with a 2.5

I'm making all my new parts out of pipe cleaners, macaroni and posicle sticks, Ill hook you up with custom rims.. no worries!

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Rhyno Lite XLs have performed great for me in the past. A rim will last me for a whole season, my current rear rim is two seasons old. It has cracked at the seam so I am going to be replacing it. Most of the time the rim out lasts the anodized coating for me, the rims always end up a faded bronze color.

I have considered going with Mavic so I can run UST tubeless but when I can get almost three rims for the price of one, it is not a hard decision.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
Does anyone have any idea how to order from them w/ your Sponserhouse discount?

They don't have a store on there & don't give you a discount code or anything either.

I tried emailing them, but haven't heard anything back.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Same width as the MTX29.

lightest/strongest 24 in rims are the new alienation runaways btw

rvs

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
Hi all,

Since we're talking sunrims here, I'd like to know :
What are the differences between Singletrack (no SL1) and Singletrack SL1 ?
Is it welded and sleeved (SL1) ?

Thanks for the explanation.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the mtx line from sun seems to be pretty good. currently i'm hooked on the doubletrack rims. they are crazy strong and not too heavy considering their strengh

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
If i remember correctly, EightTracks=OEM and MTX=Aftermarket for the same rim? Not sure where the doubletracks fit in.

If I were you and getting some race rims i would either get the singletracks or Add Lites. You should be fine with singletracks for race rims since you will typically ride smoother, especially if you were to have another wheelset like one with mtx's for bashing around.