Quantcast

2008 Urban Flat Project

Jun 25, 2007
Canada
I somehow managed to stay out of trouble this year and promised myself I would make my 2008 ride even better than the last. So I hope you guys agree I met the challenge ...

Mucho inspiration from Japan and China by sticking with a minimalist build with simple graphix. Gotta admit the Jenna J. pic on the seat tube I couldn't resist. lol! 75% bmx flatland with 25% urban street style probably could bring the weight closer to 20 lbs. At 21 lbs. its one step forward in the past 3 years of "cruiserflatland" tradition.

I don't think I could've done this without the help of Atomlab, St Martin Bmx, Supercross Bmx and some very good people in Edmonton and California. Props!!

I say you gotta live your own way, Viva to having fun, man!!

Sep 12, 2004
ok this is a serious question...why

why on 26in wheels? isnt it easier on 20s since they accelerate quicker, spin faster, have stronger wheels since they have shorter spokes, the bars are lower? (not sure on that one actually)...so why 26s

is there an actual preference or you just kind of do it or had a 26, started doing flatland one day and the rest...

Jun 25, 2007
Canada
why on 26in wheels? isnt it easier on 20s since they accelerate quicker, spin faster, have stronger wheels since they have shorter spokes, the bars are lower? is there an actual preference or you just kind of do it or had a 26, started doing flatland one day and the rest...
All 20" flatlanders are amazing. As for 26", about 4 years ago I had a dream that I was rolling on my front wheel. I didn't know what to make of it because I hadn't done any flatland bmx since I was a kid. I had a beach cruiser at the time (the one on the top left in the pic) and started to do stuff. Yeah, 26" is so hard to balance, but I just wanted to try something that I knew I couldn't assume to ever master. Most of the time it's a lot of work, so I'm really stoked when I pull something. I can't believe I didn't go with a bike this light before -- it's so much easier!!!

--------

I just watched that vid the other day!! :cheers: I really want to go to Brazil. Those kids are cool!!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
ok this is a serious question...why

why on 26in wheels? isnt it easier on 20s since they accelerate quicker, spin faster, have stronger wheels since they have shorter spokes, the bars are lower? (not sure on that one actually)...so why 26s

is there an actual preference or you just kind of do it or had a 26, started doing flatland one day and the rest...
IMO today's flatland bikes are too damn small for anyone over 5'10". they are micro-bikes... 12.5" chainstays, 18"tt, 6.5" rise bars... obviously a lot of great riders are tall and ride small setups, so who am i to say. but the idea that a tiny bike is the "best" for everyone is not right. (look at Trevor Meyer's setup, or flatland inventer Kevin Jones' Hoffman Big Daddy). i always rode flat on a 20.5"tt street bike with tall bars and that was the best for me. flatland on a 24" cruiser is just as fun. yeah it's slower, but it also feels real solid and comfortable.