Quantcast

2008 WR Fall Festival Flyer

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
You're right, the weather won't be hot - it will be nice and cool. Perfect for DH'ing in pads.

Seriously, it looks the Oak Ridge area will get some passing showers over the next few days, but not a deluge. Besides, as Doug said, when it get's dry up there, a solid rain event can really tack things up and make for great DH conditions. I've actually raced up there in wet weather, and it was not an issue - unlike Snowshoe which can turn into the slough of despond after a hard rain. The most unpleasant weather forecast I've seen indicates a very slight chance of rain Saturday night, but Friday/Saturday/Sunday look like prime riding days (especially for November). Perhaps a little cool on Sunday, but you won't be cold after the first run or two.

And for those of you camping in the bunkhouses, I will have some Rebel Yell available in case anybody needs something to warm them up and/or mix with Oxicotin.

To reiterate what Doug said, do not let the weather affect your decision to attend. It will be t!ts this weekend.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Weather Update: It rained off and on yesterday at my house. I live less than 15 miles to Windrock and the ground is still pretty dry under the leaves. We are supposed to get a little more rain tonight and Friday night, but no heavy rain. Just a steady drizzle. Since the leaves are going to stay on the ground until Friday we are in great shape. Saturday morning may be a little greasy, but with lots of tires on the track it will dry out quickly.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
J,
Hows the shoulder healing?? Ever see a doc?
Its just really sore still. Its going to take a while to get the muscle and ligaments in it healed up. It is feeling a little better though. The handlebar that went in my back did just as much damage. My whole lower right side is just as sore as my shoulder. I could deal with the pain right now and ride, but I just don't have the strength in my shoulder to move my bike around yet. As far as the doc, I called my old ortho who I have not seen in years, and they could not see me for like 3 weeks, so I bought a sling and I had some painkillers left over.:busted:
I'm feeling better though.
Thx.

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Its just really sore still. Its going to take a while to get the muscle and ligaments in it healed up. It is feeling a little better though. The handlebar that went in my back did just as much damage. My whole lower right side is just as sore as my shoulder. I could deal with the pain right now and ride, but I just don't have the strength in my shoulder to move my bike around yet. As far as the doc, I called my old ortho who I have seen in years, and they could not see me for like 3 weeks, so I bought a sling and I had some painkillers left over.:busted:
I'm feeling better though.
Thx.
Heal up man!! I hope it’s not holding you back from holding your little girl.... My wife just had surgery and can't pick my son up for 2 weeks. She is hating life right now because of that....

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
I spent $90 upgrading my brakes to 8", drove all the way there in pouring rain, got out and walked around on the mushy rock parking lot for a second, and then got back in the car and drove all the way home.

I'll make another trip up when it dries out.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
I got there around 1130 this morning and wound up behind the wheel of Bhanns Isuzu with the custom side boards and made at least 3 trips to the top and 7 or 8 to the mid point drop off. Each time with up to 24 or so in the back. There were a couple of pu trucks running 6 at a time too. I cut out around 330 as profro had assumed driving duties and was heading up again. Considering the weather, seemed to be quite a few there. Saw some cameras hope a few pictures post up.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
For all that came, thanks.

For all those that didn't, sorry for you.

Considering the conditions what a great weekend! Thanks to Morewood, Industry Nine, Cane Creek, Specialized Tires, Sicklines, and last but not least Brian Hann, who donated the shuttle truck. I hope to hell some one got a picture of that thing loaded down.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
For all that came, thanks.

For all those that didn't, sorry for you.
I had been looking forward to this weekend for quite some time but I've had the flu for the past week. :nopity:

Totally bummed that I missed a good weekend at WR - especially fall festival. It was so much fun last year!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
It was a good time riding. Conditions were really good on the lower all weekend. The upper was pretty good too on Saturday. I didn't make it up there Sunday. Thanks for shuttling us.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
In short, it was a great weekend for the Raleigh crew (well, aside from Dogboy destroying his finger/knuckle). Definitely slick in certain spots, but it tacked up both days later in the afternoon. Good Snowshoe practice :biggrin:

Doug, you guys put on a great event and thanks for getting the trails ready (and all the work your crew does throughout the year). Props to I9, Morewood, Spesh, Cane Creek, Sicklines, Maxxis and the other companies that donated raffle fodder. They gave away some really nice gear on Sunday.

Finally, I highly recommend renting a cabin at the Windrock Campground - especially in slightly warmer weather. Nice facilities, and very close by to the trails.

Good times!

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Doug, you guys put on a great event and thanks for getting the trails ready (and all the work your crew does throughout the year).
I'll be the first to say I don't do that much out there. The real thanks goes to Mark Webb and Brian Poston. Those guys and especially Mark work out there tirelessly. This weekend was a HUGE testament to to direction they have been taking Windrock. With as much traffic the place got in wet conditions, the trails held up incredibly well. :clapping:

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Another great event at the Rock!!

Thanks to Doug, Brian H, Mark, Brian P and the rest of the Southern crew for a kick ass event and trail work!

Also, as Chris K said, thanks again for working us in to your shuttle, much appreciated.

See you in the Spring,

Julian

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Great Weekend of riding! Thanks to all who made the effort to make it happen.
For those who punked out, the trails were a little slick but, as you can see ridable.
Mid day Sat. and Sun. was pretty secure footing and fun riding for sure.
That log after the table rock on old snake rock took down a few!
I had it dialed! For the first three runs then last run of the day, my front
wheel washed into the hole to the left and I endoed for a front flip!
I am OK so as always if you didn't get hurt it was fun!

Eyedfy

Chimp
May 22, 2006
ATL
And, a huge appreesh to Wyatt for being our trail sherpa. :clapping::clapping:

Thanks for showing us the Windrock goods.

Killah thrills, and only six stitches to show for it!:poster_oops:

Good job on the trails, guys, and thanks for the shuttle.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Since I missed this trip, is there another one planned before the year's out?
Not officially, but plan a weekend and post it up and I'd say you could get a few of us locals and maybe some others to show up. Call it the Tweety Invitational if you will. :biggrin:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
So where are all the pics? Seriously, the only images we have to commemorate the weekend is the Taliban transporter!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
some guy was running a helmet cam on Sunday. Hopefully, he will post the video.

I had my camera with but I wasn't going to get it out in that mud. I really need a cheap digital that I don't mind getting dirty.

On a thread derail, if we come down there in January, can we get a tour guide for the moto singletrack?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
the singletrack that you need a tour guide to find. ;) It comes up every so often on the atv message board but no one seems to have GPS tracks of it. :crazy:

did I mention free beer?
There is a reason for that, as you know. Miles and miles of pristine singletrack can be ruined in a matter of hours by a couple meat heads on atvs.

I have GPS tracks of it, but there is NO way I am releasing it.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
some guy was running a helmet cam on Sunday. Hopefully, he will post the video.

I had my camera with but I wasn't going to get it out in that mud. I really need a cheap digital that I don't mind getting dirty.
I'd like to see the helmet cam. Chris from I9 had a camera out on the trails for a bit on Sunday afternoon, don't know if anything came out.

Mills took a couple lifestyle shots.

10:00 Sunday Windmills run

The campground had all the amenities.

More non-biking related photos can be found here.

Last edited: