Quantcast

2009 and 2010 Fox 40 rc2

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
The FIT thing is just marketing bs (on the 40). The 40 had the FIT damper since the beginning but more acronyms in the description of a product is always better.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The FIT thing is just marketing bs (on the 40). The 40 had the FIT damper since the beginning but more acronyms in the description of a product is always better.
The actual fit damper has seen many changes since the inception of the fork. There was a fairly decent change for this season (09) to up the damping rates on them so they didnt dive under heavier riders.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
So this summer I am thinking of picking up a new 2010 40 and I have an 07. Think it's really worth the $$$?

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Okay, ya I already have the direct mount crown. Interesting though how that works. I should send it in for a rebuild/cartidge update. But my lowers are dented pretty bad, the stanctions have a few small scratches too. It might be worth it to buy a new one eventually, or a very lightly used 2009 or 2010 fox 40 for like $500 off. Would it be cheaper just to buy one in parts and build it up yourself?

Is it possible to buy just a cartridge for rebound and hi/low speed compression already put together? I can take apart my Fox 40 and have except for the cartidge. I am just thinking buying a fork in parts, while it might be trouble, might be cheaper?

Edit: and the whole "FIT" thing for 2010 is BS?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Is it possible to buy just a cartridge for rebound and hi/low speed compression already put together? I can take apart my Fox 40 and have except for the cartidge. I am just thinking buying a fork in parts, while it might be trouble, might be cheaper?
You can order the damper direct from Fox. They come already filled with oil, you just need to install it, and you might as well replace the seals while you have it apart. I just bought an 09/10 RC2 damper from Fox to place in my 07 36 Van R. List was $370, I assume the 40 damper would be a bit more.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Meh... Well for $600 more I could have almost new lowers/stanctions, new seals ($30?) even though mine are fairly new, a Ti spring to sell, newish oil, new crush washers (yes, it is a pain to order things sometimes as small as that $3 crush washer is) etc... Haha, it might just be worth it to get a deal on one of those "barely used" Fox 40's that sometimes float around on the internet.

Like I said though, my lowers aren't looking very good at all ATM. I don't smack my forks anymore on stuff or crash nearly as often, but I had those forks since I first started downhill in 06'.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The actual fit damper has seen many changes since the inception of the fork. There was a fairly decent change for this season (09) to up the damping rates on them so they didnt dive under heavier riders.
Agree. My fat ass kills the damper on a buddie's 36, but mine stands firm.