Quantcast

2009 Beech Mountain Triple Crown Series

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Wow...that looks pretty quality. I guess it just takes the right people gettin' it done.

hahaha...agreed.

Lets see...I know approximately ZERO mountainboarders...if there is the demand and the willingness to make a board park with lift access, there should be no problem getting an MTB park off the ground.

Gonna have to do some SERIOUS digging/design to follow the lead of that mountain board park though. That stuff is high quality, looks like whoever made it knows what they were doing.

Trill...foot shred? You KNOW you got that on lock on a mountain board. You're just gonna have to borrow one.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
from Beech's site:

"Prices for slope tickets/lift passes:
# $55.00 for Competitors
# $10.00 per ride
# $10.00 for "terrain park pass"
# $20.00 all day lift pass

All slope tickets will be available in the View Haus Cafeteria.

Higher Ground Mountain Board Park opens this Saturday and is $10 for a park pass. The Park is open to Mountain Boards and Bikes. "

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
hahaha...agreed.

Lets see...I know approximately ZERO mountainboarders...if there is the demand and the willingness to make a board park with lift access, there should be no problem getting an MTB park off the ground.

Gonna have to do some SERIOUS digging/design to follow the lead of that mountain board park though. That stuff is high quality, looks like whoever made it knows what they were doing.

Trill...foot shred? You KNOW you got that on lock on a mountain board. You're just gonna have to borrow one.
Yea, I think ben's got one that's in semi-working order. It's a speed demon though, it ain't got no brakes!

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
The race entry fee of $55 includes access to the chairlift for saturday and sunday. Each rider's race number plate will also be used as their lift pass. No bikes will be allowed to use the chairlift without a race number plate.

The mountainboard/bike terrain park is awesome! The designers and builders really did a great job. The use of the terrain park is a separate $10 fee in addition to the race entry fee. Bring your slopestyle bike to shred the park (DH bike would be fun too)!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Just got back from weed eating the top 1/2 of the track and checked out the mtn board/slopestyle course. Its HUGGGEE!!!! The last jump has to be 10 feet tall

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
2009 Beech Mountain Triple Crown Series
Downhill racing returns to the slopes of Beech Mountain with re-introduction of Triple Crown Series!

Three race dates are set: June 27-28; August 1-2; September 5-6, so mark your calendar now!

Racers stay tuned...

Race flyer and pertinent information to follow.

what!!?? when did the 2nd race change from the 1st/2nd to the 8th/9th? the DH gods must not want me to race this season!

Last edited:

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Sorry Manimal. That must have changed before I was given the task of designing the website and support materials. I had to miss out on this weekend. . . bummer.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
no worries, i think can get that weekend off.

i made it to the race just in time to check out the mtn board course and watch the awards. looks like it was a good turnout and everyone said it was a fun course. the mtn board stuff looks really fun and i'm sure we'll spend some time out there this summer...if it's open on a regular basis.

deadlink404

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Awesome race, it was my first one and i enjoyed it a lot but damn i was beat up, wrecked almost every practice run but my race run was the best run i had, so i was happy. Pretty good turn out and awesome people and they did a good job on the course. cant wait for the next race.

Any one know where the pictures that was taken will be posted?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Awesome race, it was my first one and i enjoyed it a lot but damn i was beat up, wrecked almost every practice run but my race run was the best run i had, so i was happy. Pretty good turn out and awesome people and they did a good job on the course. cant wait for the next race.
Don't sweat the crashes man. You picked a really tough course for your first race. There were a ton of crashes this weekend in all classes with a ton of "shoulder dirt" in the pro class as well.

That said, the race turned out great, and I was so stoked to be back racing at Beech. Course turned out killer, the lift worked out well, and the timing was well done. I can't wait for the next two races of this series. Combined with the Dirty Bird at Hawksnest, real racing is back in the Southeast!

NZRipper

Chimp
Jan 28, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I finally found an excuse for my two crashes in my race run... when I was cleaning my bike I noticed that my rear shock spring was snapped clean in two... I think the G-out section was responsible for that.... I though it was riding a little strange :stupid:

d

mehugtree

Chimp
Jun 29, 2009
Hey all. New guy to this board, but wanted to jump in and say howdy on this thread. I'm an ATL mountainboarder and was up there finishing up the mountainboard park AND racing the DH course. Chuck, I was the dude who hit your slalom course on my board. Kevin's buddy, Ted

About the park, yup, it is definitely open to bikes. It was built with primarily mountainboarders in mind, but definitely with mountain bikers also in mind. We all like to ride the same things, so why not. And there are a lot more bikers than boarders, so it makes sense. Did any of you guys get a chance to hit it up? There were some people huckin! We will be having events in conjunction with the Triple Crown, with a big contest in September with pro's from around the country. Should rock!

I also raced the DH course this weekend. Man, that was f'in FUN! This was my first "real" race and it pushed my skills to the limit. Did decent for my first time out. Need to tweak the bike a bit, but will be back for 2 & 3. Good peeps up there!

-Ted

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
i couldn't have picked a better race to return to racing. course was awesome. slamming my head into a tree still hurts just as much as i remember too hahahaha now where's the picture thread??? i'm pretty sure i saw a bunch of camera's out there this weekend!!!

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Yes i would like to see some pics as well.

Also does anyone know if we get points and if there will be an overall series winner or is it just 3 random races. I think it would be nice to have a series winner, a little nod for consistency and forking out $55 a race, lol.

All and all i had a good time and should be back for the next one

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
Did any of you guys get a chance to hit it up? There were some people huckin! We will be having events in conjunction with the Triple Crown, with a big contest in September with pro's from around the country. Should rock!

-Ted
I rode the mountainboard track on my DH bike, and that stuff is pretty crazy. that hip is really hard to hit at speed, and the wallride is tough to get high on and make it back down in time since it's so short. That last table is huge! It will boot you HIGH, that's for sure (and if anyone on here saw my fist time hitting it, then I'm sure you know what it looks like to hit it with too much speed and nose heavy :eek: I still can't believe that my suspension still works :shocked: I'm surprised that there weren't more people riding that course (I'm pretty sure that I was the only one launching the last jump on Sunday), it's very fun and theres stuff for all levels

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Agree with the above sentiments - it was a glorious return for Beech Mtn. The weather was damn near perfect in terms of temp and lack of precip. However, it can get awful gusty up there, which caused more than one person problems on the big step down at the end. Timing system worked flawlessly (thanks to Moto and Matt!), and it was a great vibe overall - of course, the $1.00 keg beer at the end didn't hurt either. Mostly, it was great to see some old DH veterans and new faces as well.

I think the course started to get worn in, and really provided a little bit of everything: flat turns, berms, alternate lines, some pedaling up top, slick tech sections, rocks, balls out speed, and a few big drops/step downs. All that said, the game will change significantly if and when it actually rains on race day :eek:
Props to Mr. Taylor - not only for a great course, but for some solid prizes too.

My understanding is that it is a points series, so it should provide incentive for racers to hit up all 3 events.

Finally, a sincere "well done" to Gerritt (won Pro), Andy Devault (5th in Pro - my bad Andy ;) ), Folsom (8th in Pro), and Mulestar for surviving a wicked OTB wreck and still logging a seriously fast time.

Last edited:

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
From the spectators point of view the race was loads of fun! I had a blast watching all of the different line combos everyone was putting together in the steep woods after the road crossing. I'll also give a shout out for the $1 boozers at the lodge!

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Mad props to everone involved in putting this together. I had a blast. Crashed on my race run. :mad: Im still pissed about it. I also crashed ALOT on saturday. Track was great really tech, for me anyway. Everyone there was laid back and friendly. I will be at the next two. Great job guys and Girl. :thumb:

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
Fun fun race. I love the course and it flows really well. I did like 90% of my race run chainless and only had to peg-leg it once or twice. I'm stoked for the next two.

thanks to all who put in to make it happen.

deadlink404

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
It is a cumulative point race series.
I am waiting for the results and I will post them on www.triplecrowndh.com asap.
I will also post any pictures Ryan sends me asap as well.
Hey man i just wanted to say nice site, its really well done you have some skills.
good luck for the future.

And there was so many photographers and no pictures yet...:confused:
just wondering if they are going to have there own place to post it or is it just going to be up on the website.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Yep, Andy got 5th. And he evidently slept in a "Holiday Inn last night" before he fixed your finger.:rofl:
"I am not a doctor, but I am around them all the time."
Ha, Andy rules.
yup...we drove part of the way to snowshoe last year with about $25k worth of knee replacements in the backseat. andy's got skills...have you ever listened to his voice mail? he's like a calm Billly Mays :rofl:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Just wanted to heap more props onto the organizers, especially Ryan for a super fun course, event, and great prizes, and Moto and Matt for running the times and everything. It was my first race in a couple years and I can't believe how much I missed it...I'll be at the next 2 if I can make my call schedule work out. Thanks everyone!