Quantcast

2009 Beech Mountain Triple Crown Series

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That board park looked very non-bikeish.

Sorry to hear he got hurt, but super stoked to see your attitude towards getting hurt. Its just part of it and nothing to shy away from. Heck I was racing this weekend with 7 stitches in my leg.

SCHANEWOLF

Chimp
Jul 2, 2009
After his second run he requested his flats, that seemed to help. the getting hurt part sucks but he one of those kids that gets hurt no matter what he does. Sometimes i feel he needs to be in a protective bubble.

Dawson

Chimp
Apr 25, 2006
NC
Thanks to everyone who had a part in putting on the race! It was great meeting some of the monkeys for the first time this weekend. Atmosphere at this race was awesome everybody was just having a good time and raggin' eachother up top. Excited to see you all at the bird!

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
It was a great race, great attitude, and perfect weather. The only thing I would like to have changed, is the fact that the ONLY 18 and under category is classified as BEGINNER. It's not great being called a beginner, and being thought of as a sandbagger for winning beginner with a time close to some of the pros. It's not that bad just having one 18 and under category, but if you don't have separate beginner and amateur classes, then please just call it Junior.

But on a lighter note, thanks to everyone who helped put on the event. I had a great time and look forward to the next race.

Last edited:

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Sorry don't know any official times, just remember hearing they were around the 2.30 mark, so one of them posted a 2.25???? Wow should start racing Pro then.

MetalMayhem

Chimp
May 17, 2008
east coast
Well apparently I would have gotten 5th in pro QUALIFIERS, but somewhere near 10th?? in the finals. My time was a 2:29. Ben had a 2:32, and Jay ended up with a 2:36. Just about everybody improved their time though. For the first race, a 2:32 would have gotten 6th in pro...

Last edited:

clint4130

Chimp
Oct 2, 2005
georgia
are the results posted anywhere? I thought the race was awesome, I don't think I could have picked a better first race. I hope the next one is just as badass.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Well apparently I would have gotten 5th in pro QUALIFIERS, but somewhere near 10th?? in the finals. My time was a 2:29. Ben had a 2:32, and Jay ended up with a 2:36. Just about everybody improved their time though. For the first race, a 2:32 would have gotten 6th in pro...
Regardless what Pro spot you could have filled - I was impressed with what times- Jr.s were rippin' out and Jay was whipping the big stepdown at the bottom with Pro style!
I'm sure Ryan will leave off the beginner next time after seeing you guys rep in that fashion!

Last edited:

OB1

Monkey
Regardless what Pro spot you could have filled - I was impressed with what times- Jr.s were rippin' out and Jay was whipping the big stepdown at the bottom with Pro style!
I'm sure Ryan will leave off the beginner next time after seeing you guys rep in that fashion!
Yeah, no kidding huh? It's awesome to see so much young fast talent! And congrats to you and Greg.:thumb: Bet you both wish you would have hit the first one now eh?:D See ya soon!

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
Anyone know when results will be posted?

BTW, another great event, course was in nice shape and the weather was perfect. Now if only I could avoid falling during my race run.

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
FloridaFish how did you do? Are you going to the DirtyBird race?
Came out with a 2:59 but I ate **** on my race run, think I'm just gonna have to head up there for the labor day weekend race. Still planning on heading up for Dirty Bird too, scratched up my fork so I'm hoping it's fixed by next week.

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Sounds like you are giving it your all if you are crashing. That $ucks. Some freinds and I are going over to Santos to ride Sunday if your not doing anything & can make it. We will be parking at the Vortex area.

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
Yeah Butch I didn't hear the quote you listed but,
My quote fave for the weekend was - "I never seen a skinsuit flapping in the wind before"
There were some pretty hot looking female downhillers this w/e and the best quote I heard was when one of them finished her race run completely covered in mud - I mean swimming in the stuff - one of her supporters said " Sweetheart, you didn't tell me there was mud wrestling going on up there"

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Don't suppose any of you have ever taken a walk up to the Oz overlook and wandered around in the old theme park on top of the mountain by chance have you? It's really wild:
QUOTE]

I was up there today!Was at the gazebo but missed those magical doors?!
Checked out the course.It's been about 10 years since i have been to Beech. That jump/drop right after the road xing looks pretty hardcore!You pro's are nuts,lol. Also that last jump i skipped this time around.
Climbing back up the road from Ski Beech back to the old abandoned bike shop location(about 1.7 miles) on my heavy bike wasn't that bad, car pollution sucked. I couldn't stop nodding off all the way back to the Knoxville area.. (edit)fyi- Dramamine makes you sleepy;riding passenger in his guys van always makes me almost puke.)

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
It's not just a gazebo. If you walk up the paved road and don't turn left toward the lift house, just continue on toward the condos, the road will turn right and down hill. Fifty feet on your left are those doors and the yellow brick road. It was an ACTUAL theme park. The gazebo is technically the start of the park. The house you see with cars parked at it was Dorothy's house. What you do is walk the place in reverse. Go down past the condos in the "exit" gate. You'll see the balloon and everything, the witches castle and at the end of the yellow brick road is a full size house that is literally laying at a 45 degree angle.

Inside the house, it looks just as if it had been in a tornado and thrown down on the mountain. The house you can see from the gazebo is Dorothys house BEFORE the storm. It all makes sense once you see it. They do a show there once a year. The theme park failed because weather up there was so random and brutal in the summer.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It's not just a gazebo. If you walk up the paved road and don't turn left toward the lift house, just continue on toward the condos, the road will turn right and down hill. Fifty feet on your left are those doors and the yellow brick road. It was an ACTUAL theme park. The gazebo is technically the start of the park. The house you see with cars parked at it was Dorothy's house. What you do is walk the place in reverse. Go down past the condos in the "exit" gate. You'll see the balloon and everything, the witches castle and at the end of the yellow brick road is a full size house that is literally laying at a 45 degree angle.

Inside the house, it looks just as if it had been in a tornado and thrown down on the mountain. The house you can see from the gazebo is Dorothys house BEFORE the storm. It all makes sense once you see it. They do a show there once a year. The theme park failed because weather up there was so random and brutal in the summer.

Boy, I bet Disney World was really $hitting their pants when that place opened.:rofl:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Boy, I bet Disney World was really $hitting their pants when that place opened.:rofl:
When you walk through it, you'll know how truly laughable it is. That's it...I'm playing tour guide next race. Since we all gotta sit there for an hour while Am's are racing, we'll all just take a little tour. The ones on Safety Break may get a little freaked out by the miniature castle though....:weee:

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
The final race of the series is days away! The Saturday practice schedule is from 11am - 3pm, with Pro qualifying remaining at 3:30. Sunday practice is from 9-11am with racing starting at 12:00pm.

This your last chance to ride the track for 2009, so arrive early to take advantage of all the available practice time! Thanks to everyone who has supported the series and next year should be bigger and better...

See you on the mountain!

RTaylor

Chimp
Mar 30, 2009
is the poopy mud section still in the track this weekend?
Yes.

Saturday morning we could do some drainage work on it to help get the water off the track, if you like. There is one area in particular above the right hand turn (the big Hole) where we could cut a drain in fairly quickly, which would get the majority of water out of the line. Bring shovels if you want to work on it. I'm game.

OB1

Monkey
Yes.

Saturday morning we could do some drainage work on it to help get the water off the track, if you like. There is one area in particular above the right hand turn (the big Hole) where we could cut a drain in fairly quickly, which would get the majority of water out of the line. Bring shovels if you want to work on it. I'm game.
Right on! That would be schweet. Mud at a rain race is one thing. Hell, that's just part of DH. But this mud section is a product of design. I'll be there about a half hour before practice. I'd be happy to pitch in a hand.:thumb: Should I really bring a shovel???

BTW, latest weather report shows nothing but sunshine in the next 10 days straight. This is gonna be a fun one!

Last edited:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Yes.

Count me in, the course is a blast, but that section blows:rolleyes:
I'd def be down to give a hand helping wherever some dirt needs moving

Im coming up to the race this weekend to take pictures for a bicycle photography independent study at school. Can anyone recommend some good spots on the course to take pictures. Also is there a camp ground near by where i can pop up a tent?