Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
it seems DW didnt do his wind tunnel testing because my bike seems to create more drag on my roof rack than my other bikes. kinematic schmatics...wind tunnel testing is where its at :bonk:....this is just e-speculation btw.
The wind tunnels were all booked up by the pro road teams so instead we strapped the bike onto the roof of a truck and put Gabe on it. The problem is that between the low hanging branches and speeds over 65mph he kept falling off. We needed him to sell bikes and didn't want him to get too hurt so we just figured it was good enough as is aerodynamically.

-ska todd

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The wind tunnels were all booked up by the pro road teams so instead we strapped the bike onto the roof of a truck and put Gabe on it. The problem is that between the low hanging branches and speeds over 65mph he kept falling off. We needed him to sell bikes and didn't want him to get too hurt so we just figured it was good enough as is aerodynamically.

-ska todd
You could have duct taped him on during testing if he kept falling off.

And you guys call youself a bike company:rolleyes::cheers::biggrin:

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Has anyone tried using a CCDB on a Revolt?

Either way I'd be interested in seeing the leverage rate curve if it's available.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Nug - we have not yet tried to fit the CCDB onto the frame in person, however it fits in all models. We have previously passed the leverage and wheel rate info to CC USA for their shock tuning. if they need more info they can contact me directly :cheers:

-ska todd

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Nug - we have not yet tried to fit the CCDB onto the frame in person, however it fits in all models. We have previously passed the leverage and wheel rate info to CC USA for their shock tuning. if they need more info they can contact me directly :cheers:

-ska todd
when i called, they said they didnt know anything about the details about the bike and that i should contact you guys to find out if itll work.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
when i called, they said they didnt know anything about the details about the bike and that i should contact you guys to find out if itll work.
Tell whomever you spoke with to talk directly with Josh Coaplen. He knows what's up, I passed him the curves a while back and he and I have discussed them in person too. I haven't tested a bike with the data acquisition and the CCDB yet, but I'm confident that it can be made to work. Just for good measure, I'll forward the pertinent information to Josh again today and give him a call. It's a good reason to give a friend a phone call anyways.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Tell whomever you spoke with to talk directly with Josh Coaplen. He knows what's up, I passed him the curves a while back and he and I have discussed them in person too. I haven't tested a bike with the data acquisition and the CCDB yet, but I'm confident that it can be made to work. Just for good measure, I'll forward the pertinent information to Josh again today and give him a call. It's a good reason to give a friend a phone call anyways.
im not sure who i spoke to when i called, but they transferred me to the person they said who know about the frame. he said he did speak to you guys at Interbike, but had no info at that time about the rates and whatnot of the bike.

no worries though now, my RC4 feels great.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Nug - we have not yet tried to fit the CCDB onto the frame in person, however it fits in all models. We have previously passed the leverage and wheel rate info to CC USA for their shock tuning. if they need more info they can contact me directly

-ska todd
Thanks for the quick reply Todd!

I was hoping that if I was to go with the Revolt, I'd be able to use my CCDB. Judging on the average leverage rate similarity with the Sunday (that I'm riding now), I guess I could benefit from the new internals that they announced a while back (although it could be some time before these are available...).

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
srys Q: Is the XL an ongoing size or a special run? I use a VPFree now, but am thinking a more DH oriented frame is in order, but now is not in the budget.

Last edited:

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
OOH, im flooding this thread --- can someone tell me the shock i2i and stroke for the Revolt?

AND - if I get a CCDB for my current ride, and it happens to be same i2i/stroke -- can I get it retuned (yes...) for the revolt, etc??

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
OOH, im flooding this thread --- can someone tell me the shock i2i and stroke for the Revolt?
It's a 9.5" x 3" shock.

AND - if I get a CCDB for my current ride, and it happens to be same i2i/stroke -- can I get it retuned (yes...) for the revolt, etc??
I think the VP-Free uses a shorter shock - 2.75" stroke maybe. You won't be able to run that on the Revolt as it is. There's more to changing the stroke length than simply replacing the part so you'd be better off selling and buying a new one - not ideal.

On the plus side, the CCDB generally can be tuned at home to suit most bikes depending on your preferences.

There are supposed to be some new internals shipping with new CCDBs now that allow more low end adjustment than previous models. If this is true, it'll make a great shock even better.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Almost, 6'7", 215 :P

XL VP-free (with some small changes). As for making turns, you just gotta muscle your way through it. Maybe a lifting mad tite drifting from time to time. That's part of the reason us big guys need lower BB's, well, that and our higher center of mass.
6'8", 245 w/ XL VPF, I dont know how yours is magically almost 3" longer WB than mine............ (07 888 Rc2x with legs fully 'extended'/Max)

The VPF could use a .5-1 lower BB -- disagree with the overall need to be lower. It is 'techicially a FR bike' -- Slacker and Lower is what Im looking for while still being XL, make the VPF lighter and use a shorter fork, etc..

Ok, so the CCDB now then upgrade is out... any chances Revolts can ship w/ a CCDB??????????????

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
hey trump bros.....how did you rotate the headtube cup? did you just use a large wrench? my smaller wrench barely fits it and it wont turn.

any idea when their wrenches are coming?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
hey trump bros.....how did you rotate the headtube cup? did you just use a large wrench? my smaller wrench barely fits it and it wont turn.

any idea when their wrenches are coming?
One massive set of channel lock pliers (biggest thing i could find at Lowes) covered with old inner tube.... did it before building so the fork was off and made it super easy.

I bet you cold buy/return in the same day if you dont want to spend the money, but they were cheap

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
what dave said, plus we both knocked the sleeve out from he top, covered it in grease, and re-installed it in the slacker position. it turns much easier now and the grease should keep it from making any sort of creaking noises later in the season.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
did you have the headset in when you did it? that shouldnt matter tho right?

im bout to change the flip chips and headset now since its apart.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i need help finding a spring.........

i had my buddy check QBP, BTI and couldn't find anything in 500x3.19" or 3.25".

the only online retailer that shows that size is Jenson and they are out of stock. other sites have a 500x3" but im thinking that wont work with my 3" stroke shock right?

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
i need help finding a spring.........

i had my buddy check QBP, BTI and couldn't find anything in 500x3.19" or 3.25".

the only online retailer that shows that size is Jenson and they are out of stock. other sites have a 500x3" but im thinking that wont work with my 3" stroke shock right?
if it says 3" you are fine

everyone but fox writes the stroke length on the side (2, 2.5, 3, etc)... fox puts the length the coils will bind (2.25, 2.75, 3.25, etc)

edit: all fox springs end in a decimal rather than whole number so if you see a 500x3 somewhere it will work just fine, and most websites drop the decimal and just write shock stroke it is designed for to keep from adding confusion,

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
if it says 3" you are fine

everyone but fox writes the stroke length on the side (2, 2.5, 3, etc)... fox puts the length the coils will bind (2.25, 2.75, 3.25, etc)

edit: all fox springs end in a decimal rather than whole number so if you see a 500x3 somewhere it will work just fine, and most websites drop the decimal and just write shock stroke it is designed for to keep from adding confusion,
but if the stroke is 3" and the coil will bind at 3", wont that cause a problem?

I have two 250# springs, maybe you can glue them together ;)

-ska todd
that might work on my 16" Curnutt

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007

finally got my frame built. photo quality sucks but when i get the new fork on i'll post some new ones.