Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I wasn't talking to you. You (probably) aren't as awkward as Big Gay Dan is on a bike.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Frame made in the country the company has it's headquarter in?

Price really is quite reasonable(relatively) nowadays.

Most high end frames tipped the 3g mark this year (including shock). M6 = 3150 w/ shock.YES Commencal is 3g with shock.NO Izumi comes out to like 27 with shock, a Makulu is like 38 with shock both YES, V10 is 3200 with shock NO. Canfield is 3ish NO, Trek is 3ishNO. Cove is near 3500. YES

These toys are ridiculously expensive, and there's no reason why Evil NOneeds to be giving their frames away.
Make your choice!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003

Make your choice!

what's your point? we live in a global economy.

do apply this filter to the parts you put on your bike? the clothes you ride it in? the car you drive to get to the mountain in?

how about the computer you just typed that on?

sorry buddy, but to me it matters more if a company supports the sport, supports riders, racers and promotes cycling.

so far EVIL is doing all of it the right way.

some of the best quality come out of the east... not the USA. why should they pay more to have a bike built at lower quality.

if you still think "made in the USA" means "made better" you need to wake up and realize that the world does not revolve around you/America... in fact, to the rest of the world made in the USA usually just means not as good and more money.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007

do apply this filter to the parts you put on your bike? the clothes you ride it in? the car you drive to get to the mountain in?

how about the computer you just typed that on?

sorry buddy, but to me it matters more if a company supports the sport, supports riders, racers and promotes cycling.

so far EVIL is doing all of it the right way.

some of the best quality come out of the east... not the USA. why should they pay more to have a bike built at lower quality.

if you still think "made in the USA" means "made better" you need to wake up and realize that the world does not revolve around you/America... in fact, to the rest of the world made in the USA usually just means not as good and more money.
There is value in a product that is creating/keeping jobs in our country. It's sad to me that we're slowly getting rid of our skilled work force by always going for the cheapest prices.
I know I would much rather have an evil, or specialized, or any other brand that was made in the states instead of overseas, but that's not reality. I know most companies can't even afford to have US made parts, even if they wanted to, but man, I think that SUCKS!

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
There is value in a product that is creating/keeping jobs in our country. It's sad to me that we're slowly getting rid of our skilled work force by always going for the cheapest prices.
I know I would much rather have an evil, or specialized, or any other brand that was made in the states instead of overseas, but that's not reality. I know most companies can't even afford to have US made parts, even if they wanted to, but man, I think that SUCKS!
agreed... but it is what it is until a lot of things change, and change GLOBALY

i just get annoyed when people hold the bike industry to this double standard. the bike industry is not going to fix the problem, and a lot has to change in other areas to even make it possible for them to do so.

the high cost of doing business in the USA is not just because you have to pay your workers more... that is an issue but taxes (in multiple forms) , energy costs, availability of raw materials (and cost of getting them to factory) etc all add up. some states are better for business than others and they compete with all kinds of incentives to attract businesses but most of the time it is not enough.

Running a global brand is hard out of the USA plain and simple, especially a start up.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dave, don't forget that there still are a good number of high quality frame builders in the US, but they are most often found on the boutique and/or non dh ends of the spectrum.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I just was wondering how companies that outsource their production to Asia justify frame prices that are in the same range as handmade in USA/Canada/Germany/UK/South Africa....?
What is the benefit for the customer if they go to Asia? And if they tell you now it is not cheaper to produce the frames over there as it is here I wonder why they are doing it??????

And FWIW: I apply those filters to stuff I put on the bike too. No way I would pay the same price for a Syncros stem as I pay for a Thomson.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Aside from yesterday's race, who sits down on a real downhill run? I say keep seat-tubes short and out of the way, it's ugly and unnecessary to make them longer, and it's about time DH bike manufacturers picked up on that.
Totally agree with you. I was pleased to see the Revolt had a 15.25" seat tube but unfortunately I measured a medium the other day and it was 17.5" :hmm:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I just was wondering how companies that outsource their production to Asia justify frame prices that are in the same range as handmade in USA/Canada/Germany/UK/South Africa....?
What is the benefit for the customer if they go to Asia? And if they tell you now it is not cheaper to produce the frames over there as it is here I wonder why they are doing it??????

And FWIW: I apply those filters to stuff I put on the bike too. No way I would pay the same price for a Syncros stem as I pay for a Thomson.
A welder is a welder, this ridiculous to think someone in Taiwan cannot weld a frame as god as a American. In-fact, some of the bikes I've seen come out have beautiful welds, and the evils are no exception.

There are so many double standards its not even funny from some people. 95% of all the clothing most of you wear are made in large chinese or india factories. But you (not you in particular, silly americans) arent really that concerned because its just clothes. Most of the parts on your "american built" car are stamped, cast or forged in foreign countries. the average american auto worker submits 6 suggestions a year about improving their job or production work, the average japanese submits some 40 suggestions a year. that tells you something about pride, responsibility and dedication to their product. The american worker and unions are as much to blame for the problems we face in this country as are the CEO's looking at the bottomline.
India has more honors students than america has students.

We're a lazy, stupid bunch and were only getting worse.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
A welder is a welder, this ridiculous to think someone in Taiwan cannot weld a frame as god as a American. In-fact, some of the bikes I've seen come out have beautiful welds, and the evils are no exception.
I am not questioning their welding skills. I know they are as good as it gets. But ask yourself two questions about why the bikes are made there.
If it is really cheaper to produce over there, why are the frames the same price as frames made in the US?
If it is not cheaper, then why produce there in the first place? There must be a reason, don't you think so?

Other products made overseas have advantages, like being cheaper, are made with skills/materials etc. that we don't have here. So there is a reason to buy them. It is not about being patriotic, I just really want to know where the price tags come from.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

Make your choice!
Haha yeah, and of those, Intense is the only one that still can't weld a frame straight. Heard of two medium M6's here that had variations in frame geometry (not dropout related), not to mention every previous M frame that had front-to-rear alignment issues.

I'll take the outsourced Taiwanese production anyday, thanks. And I'm pretty sure the V10 is made in USA, I had an 09 one kicking around for a little while, but honestly didn't care because the welds were neat and the frame was straight. Beyond that, who cares?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I cant say what Evils business plan is, but my guess is it could have to with having 3 world cup riders to support and whatever other riders they support. riding/racing is expensive and more profit would give them the ability to support/do more.

But thats a question best left answered by Evil themselves.

happhazard

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
@ the suggestion that buying far east goods is unpatriotic; China underwrites quite a large portion of US debt. Good for the goose, good for the gander perhaps. My personal thoughts on the bike- when can I scrounge up the money for it! I want one!

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
i dont see anyone complaining in the other thread about the new transition bike... where is it made again? where is the company from?

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
I am not questioning their welding skills. I know they are as good as it gets. But ask yourself two questions about why the bikes are made there.
If it is really cheaper to produce over there, why are the frames the same price as frames made in the US?
If it is not cheaper, then why produce there in the first place? There must be a reason, don't you think so?

Other products made overseas have advantages, like being cheaper, are made with skills/materials etc. that we don't have here. So there is a reason to buy them. It is not about being patriotic, I just really want to know where the price tags come from.
Uh, Hellloooo?

Say Hi to Mr Profit. He sits between the "cost to manufacture and ship" and the "retail price".

It's a hard concept to grasp... but companies like to make stuff as cheaply as possible, and sell at the highest price the market will stomach.
:shocked:

I know - it's shocking. They call it "commerce" and "capitalism". Those dirty, stinking pigs.

But don't worry - my friend Rasputin and I have a plan... it will sort these pigs out once and for all...

Last edited:

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
If I was in the US, there is no way I would buy anything but a US or Canadian made frame. You blokes get them so cheap that the OS stuff has no price advantage.

You may as well support the local market and one day those greedy capitalist pigs who manufacture OS and sell at US made prices will die of Chlamydia.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
why would a company go trough all the trouble of producing frames in house when they can have it made in the east and have a product that is just as good and costs the same as a made in US frame. If you would outsource the production in the US it would probably be a lot more expensive.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Supporting local market is very nice until you meet with some weird practices. One example, even not MTB related, but oursourcing related.
Porsche Cayenne, model that is bringing Porsche most of their huge profit mainly from US market, a car that is almost identical to VW Touareg, mostly manufactured out of Germany, finalized in Germany (that's why Germans proudly declare "made in germany" for it) is in Slovakia for 56,000 Eur.
However, US dealer declares MSRP 44,000 USD = 33,000 Eur !!! How ? Why ?
I'm not moaning, I'm not fan of Porsche at all despite their high tech. level. But tell me where the bussiness logic is in here?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I'm not moaning, I'm not fan of Porsche at all despite their high tech. level. But tell me where the bussiness logic is in here?
Try this:

Who gives a f### about Slovakia? You guys have a population under 5.5 million. .
Whats the pop. of the US? Oh yeah 300 million. That's why they sell the stupid pig mobile for 33,000 Euros, becuase if they can steal (even a small) chunk of that market from the sort of idiots that usually buy fake offroad 4 wheelers then they are 'in the money'.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Uh, Hellloooo?

Say Hi to Mr Profit. He sits between the "cost to manufacture and ship" and the "retail price".

It's a hard concept to grasp... but companies like to make stuff as cheaply as possible, and sell at the highest price the market will stomach.
:shocked:
Hey, if you want to spend your money with companies that do business like that.....go ahead! But never whine about the bad economy or if you lose your job because your employer wants to maximize his profit. Hey, it is called capitalism. ;)

I know - it's shocking. They call it "commerce" and "capitalism". Those dirty, stinking pigs.

But don't worry - my friend Rasputin and I have a plan... it will sort these pigs out once and for all...
Not every russian sounding name has something to do with communism. :twitch:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Try this:

Who gives a f### about Slovakia? You guys have a population under 5.5 million. .
Whats the pop. of the US? Oh yeah 300 million. That's why they sell the stupid pig mobile for 33,000 Euros, becuase if they can steal (even a small) chunk of that market from the sort of idiots that usually buy fake offroad 4 wheelers then they are 'in the money'.
i like your style: angry

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
The Revolt is going to cost considerably more than the TR450 because there is a lot more going on with it in terms of technology and manufacturing costs. The seat tunnel is a cast aluminum piece that is pocketed and ribbed on the inside and I've seen at least two different versions of the casting. The link pieces look to be very well machined from hefty billet chunks. I don't see that kind of detail on the Transition. The BB on the Revolt is an extruded and machined piece of aluminum not a threaded tube with the ISCG tabs welded on. There are a lot of nice details on the Revolt. I'm sure the TR450 will ride well but to compare the price you need to compare what you are getting. Even when you compare the Revolt to other bikes in the same price/use class it compares favorably. I think you get more attention to detail with the Evil for the same price as an M6/Supreme DH/Makulu, etc.

In the end you get more bike for the same price by going overseas for production. I would have liked to see them stay domestic with it but I don't think we would have seen the same combination of quality, price, and features that we are getting.

The TR450/Revolt comparison is like an STI/Carrera4 comparison. Performance is relatively close and the difference in track times will go to the driver but the cost of the Porsche is reflected in the refinement and details that will get lost on a lot of people. I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed for eating crackers though. :D

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
I just looked at more of the pictures of the Transition and realized that the seat tunnel pieces have more going on than I originally thought. I also really appreciate their cable routing, especially the rear brake hose.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Maybe it was mentioned in one of the pages I skipped, but people aren't talking about development cost$?
Yes it only cost X$ to manufacture the product overseas but there is still the cost of development to recoup.

Plus with the Evil Revolt I am sure DW gets a couple nickels thrown his way for every frame made. Not knocking that at all but it needs to be factored in to the cost of every frame. Even if its a set fee as opposed to a fee per unit there is still a cost per unit.

The owner (one of them at least) is an aquaintance of the owner of Rotec. After Rotec's debacle a few years ago trying to get frames made in the US, I am sure that made them look long and hard about getting them done overseas.

But I guess the same could be true for the first generation of IH Sundays and MKIII's that WERE made overseas?

Sam B

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Cascadia
I just looked at more of the pictures of the Transition and realized that the seat tunnel pieces have more going on than I originally thought. I also really appreciate their cable routing, especially the rear brake hose.
...and BTW the bottom bracket, ISCG and main pivot section are one piece on the TR450 as well. Check out the pic...

Last edited:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I'd sure love to get my hands on a White Revolt load it up with a White 2010 Boxxer WC, Saint Cranks & brakes, Hope hubs laced to 823's and ride the SH** out of it. I bet she rides awesome! Probly a good weight as well. :cheers:

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
...and BTW the bottom bracket, ISCG and main pivot section are one piece on the TR450 as well.
Damn, Sam! You guys really did step it up with this one. Jerad got to pedal it around at NF on Saturday and was telling me about it but I didn't see you guys out there. Good thing my foot tastes ok, I think I stuck it in my mouth this time.