Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Yep seat tube length is vastly more useful than TT length. Ideally centre BB to top centre of headtube as it gets closer to the contact points and removes the small head tube length variable.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
after 2 days of riding at diablo I am hooked on this thing...

we hit up just about every trail, launched all the new jumps/drops, smashed rock gardens the wrong way on purpose and just tried to throw everything at the bike to see how it behaved and get it dialed in.

I ran it with 13.75 BB and a head angle of 63 (or slightly less)... i weigh 155 to 160 and ran the bike with a VIVD/300 lb spring and a 2010 boxxer team with the stock springs (160-180 lb rider).

bike is silent, smooth, and solid... loved the slack angles though some might prefer another setup which on this bike is easy to change.

compared to a sunday... for me the geometry is improved, the progressive ending stroke feels bottomless, and whatever DW did to the suspension in the mid stroke is pretty amazing. bike rides higher in its travel than a sunday (with same shock) so it is soooo easy to get off the ground and pop over stuff. ending stroke feels like it has more travel to spare.

it was pretty hard to get the back end to spike and in most cases the back was so smooth in some rock sections it felt like you were accelerating... in other words the rear wheel does not get "hung up" on the big hits.

I loved the Sunday, and this bike builds on that... progressive end stroke, slack angles, and no hanging up on biq hits and square edge stuff.

S.K.C. took mine for a hot lap so I am sure he can throw his 2 cents in as well.

Evil and DW nailed it

***edit: 2010 boxxers stick to the ground like glue. so much so that it took a while to readjust my riding style to "pop" the front end off roots and rocks (give a little tug rather than letting the fork kick back, because it won't). it stays planted on the trail and is STIFF

Last edited:

phill1

Chimp
Jun 24, 2006

we hit up just about every trail, launched all the new jumps/drops, smashed rock gardens the wrong way on purpose and just tried to throw everything at the bike to see how it behaved and get it dialed in.

I ran it with 13.75 BB and a head angle of 63 (or slightly less)... i weigh 155 to 160 and ran the bike with a VIVD/300 lb spring and a 2010 boxxer team with the stock springs (160-180 lb rider).

bike is silent, smooth, and solid... loved the slack angles though some might prefer another setup which on this bike is easy to change.

compared to a sunday... for me the geometry is improved, the progressive ending stroke feels bottomless, and whatever DW did to the suspension in the mid stroke is pretty amazing. bike rides higher in its travel than a sunday (with same shock) so it is soooo easy to get off the ground and pop over stuff. ending stroke feels like it has more travel to spare.

it was pretty hard to get the back end to spike and in most cases the back was so smooth in some rock sections it felt like you were accelerating... in other words the rear wheel does not get "hung up" on the big hits.

I loved the Sunday, and this bike builds on that... progressive end stroke, slack angles, and no hanging up on biq hits and square edge stuff.

S.K.C. took mine for a hot lap so I am sure he can throw his 2 cents in as well.

Evil and DW nailed it

***edit: 2010 boxxers stick to the ground like glue. so much so that it took a while to readjust my riding style to "pop" the front end off roots and rocks (give a little tug rather than letting the fork lick back, because it won't). it stays planted on the trail and is STIFF
Dave you are so right on with that review, This bikes is amazing.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts

Evil and DW nailed it

***edit: 2010 boxxers stick to the ground like glue. so much so that it took a while to readjust my riding style to "pop" the front end off roots and rocks (give a little tug rather than letting the fork kick back, because it won't). it stays planted on the trail and is STIFF
what's the handlebar height like? compared to the sunday? my sunday is super low... no dust cap or spacer on the headset, grinded down the underside of the top crown on the boxxer... low rise bars, zero rise stem.. i think you guys ran your sundays very similar to mine when i last saw you.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
oh boy...the newest greatest bike on the internet has landed.

great first ride = best bike evar!
more accurately.... since everyone keeps asking how it differs from the sunday (the last collaboration of DW/Seplavy and Co.)

it is slacker, adjustable, progressive, and doesn't blow through the travel as easy.

i would like to think that 5 years after the sunday came out I could jump on something new and find some good improvements.

tracks and riding has progressed in those years, and thankfully so have bikes.

but if you want to be a hater... be a hater.

PS... I have ridden a few other new frames I could say similar things about (not just the evil)... but this thread is not about those bikes now is it ;)

so just add evil to the list of current DH frames that are at the head of the pack... and thankfully these days that list is growing so there lots of good bikes to choose from.

anyone who has ridden DH as long as some of us can remember when you really only had 2 or 3 choices... now there are many.

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
what's the handlebar height like? compared to the sunday? my sunday is super low... no dust cap or spacer on the headset, grinded down the underside of the top crown on the boxxer... low rise bars, zero rise stem.. i think you guys ran your sundays very similar to mine when i last saw you.

probably similar... both have 5" headtubes with internal headsets. I run fork as low as possible (8" wiper to crown).

i have the evl a bit lower in the BB and much slacker than a sunday so that might drop it a bit, but stem/bar choice would have a greater effect.

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Ska Todd,
The production wheelbase measurements you posted seem dramatically different than what is posted on the Evil website. Do you know if the geometry on these are different than the ones the Fluidride riders have? These are the ones I was able to look at and pedal. I'm a hair under 6'4" and have a XL ordered but if the numbers have changed this much I'm thinking of switching back to L. Does this seem like a reasonable choice? Your advice is greatly appreciated.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
If you are 6'4" you should more than certainly be on an XL. I am 6'2" and am now thinking I might want to try an XL.

-ska todd

verticult

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
but if you want to be a hater... be a hater.

Thankfully, that type of thing seems to be losing popularity. I went to a race at Plattekill this weekend and hoped to see this bike in action.

It's true that recently new standards for weight and rigidity have been established. So you are saying this machine exceeds the Sunday (your last bike I think?) in these areas? That is exciting news!

I saw a DH bike at 36.5 lbs at Platte, race ready! It was a black bike.

That "Genereral lee" guy seems to hate all the big SP linkage bikes and he seems to be a hard sell but he likes it.

This bike reminds me of my R9, it should be sick!

Will this bike be at all the east coast DH events? (except platte and snow?)

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Frank,

I almost went to plattekill but ended up at diablo since I had to meet someone there to sell my old bike. Hopefully I will get out there for the next race.

But I thin you are mistaken saying lee hate single pivots.... Pretty sure he rode an oranfe for 4 years and has always said he could be happy on one of those over a lot of the over hyped stuff out there... Why? Because the geometry is perfect and adjustable to suit lots of styles.

you could have best suspension design in the world but if you don't nail the geometry it doesn't do you any good.

Thankfully, that type of thing seems to be losing popularity. I went to a race at Plattekill this weekend and hoped to see this bike in action.

It's true that recently new standards for weight and rigidity have been established. So you are saying this machine exceeds the Sunday (your last bike I think?) in these areas? That is exciting news!

I saw a DH bike at 36.5 lbs at Platte, race ready! It was a black bike.

That "Genereral lee" guy seems to hate all the big SP linkage bikes and he seems to be a hard sell but he likes it.

This bike reminds me of my R9, it should be sick!

Will this bike be at all the east coast DH events? (except platte and snow?)

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Anyone throw a frame on a scale yet. I'm curious?
nope, but i threw the bike i picutred a few pages earlier on a scale and it tipped it over to a whopping 39.57 pounds... thats with freeride tubes and a steal spring.

my bike's a solid build, nothing suoer heavy and nothing super light... just the stuff i know will last and get the job done. so if you want to go weigh weenie on it with xc tubes, a ti spring, lighter wheels, lighter cranks, a boxxer wc and new e13 guide you could get down to 38 or less

but i think i will leave it as is thank you very much :banana:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Here's a shot of Phill1's bike he asked me to post.

Yep, that's right...purple decals.

-ska todd

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey

Evil and DW nailed it

Yup - I was a bit skeptical of the new DELTA platform since it was officially the first "single pivot" bike I was buying (every bike I've had was a linkage bike) but it's made a believer out of me. The thing that struck me the most was the frame's low C.O.G. (center of gravity). Because of this, the bike actually felt lighter than it was. Truely an awesome feeling when you are at speed and need to make a course correction or direction change.

There will be a full write-up in Sicklines at some point from me so keep your eyes peeled.

(Keep in mind these are only initial impressions - I only had time to do 2 or 3 runs on a Medium and on a Large, so saddle-time is limited at this point - long term assessments will be forthcoming.)

Big Thanks to Dave and Todd for letting me get in the saddle of their trusted steeds!

Cheers! :biggrin:

Last edited:

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Here's a shot of Phill1's bike he asked me to post.

Yep, that's right...purple decals.

-ska todd
Is that your ride? Really nice, hehe! Will love to have some runs someday on one of it, sure it will ride amazingly good! Congrats on it ;)

VtImperial

Chimp
Sep 9, 2004
Danville Vermont
That 36.5 pound black bike was probably the new sinister f-bomb. My buddy Gavin and I were running them for the first time and his is sitting at 36.5 pounds. they're super sick bikes so far.

Sky

eRod

Chimp
May 16, 2007
Purple Phil returns!!! looking good bro. I should have mine built up in a week or so with some new stuff. I feel guilty looking at it sitting at the end of my bed.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Just had a look at the frames at the LBS. Absolutely stunning !... apart from the staggered cable routing on the DT that exits the cable/hose straight into the DT/TT weld. Hopefully they'll get moved to individual guides on either side of the triangulated DT in the future ?

Pleeeeeeease :)

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
To all you lucky basta... who already have one:D

Anyone tried the adjustment yet? How does it work in reality?
I don't really have any interest in running a 14.25"bb or a 65 degree head angle so i'm probably not going to flip the chips just for the sake of it. but i know a lot of people who will really appreciate the option of not having to run a 13.7"bb all the time (how often have we heard that the Sunday is "too low" and it sits right at 14"?).

but in reality, yes the adjustments do exactly what they say. Dave and I both turned the headtube sleeve to the slackest position and the bike went from 64 to 63 degrees. As far as flipping the chips over on the swingarm its a pretty straightforward and simple design, looks like flipping them basically just extands the swingarm to make the bb higher and repositions the shock to keep the leveage ratio constant. in the lowest position you can run a 63 or 64 degree head angle, and in the taller position you can run a 64 or 65. should accomodate a lot of diferent riders' preferrences.

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
I don't really have any interest in running a 14.25"bb or a 65 degree head angle so i'm probably not going to flip the chips just for the sake of it. but i know a lot of people who will really appreciate the option of not having to run a 13.7"bb all the time (how often have we heard that the Sunday is "too low" and it sits right at 14"?).

but in reality, yes the adjustments do exactly what they say. Dave and I both turned the headtube sleeve to the slackest position and the bike went from 64 to 63 degrees. As far as flipping the chips over on the swingarm its a pretty straightforward and simple design, looks like flipping them basically just extands the swingarm to make the bb higher and repositions the shock to keep the leveage ratio constant. in the lowest position you can run a 63 or 64 degree head angle, and in the taller position you can run a 64 or 65. should accomodate a lot of diferent riders' preferrences.
Lee, thanx for the info

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
of the three bikes floating around at diablo last weekend, none were set up the same.

mine was as low and slack as possible, todd's was a bit taller, and phils was a bit steeper if i remember correctly.

the two siting in my house at the moment have same BB height but different HA... it is nice to have choices.

i am alos noticing that the suspension stays much higher in it's travel compared to my old bike (revlot/vivid vs. sunday/vivid) so despite having my BB lower than my sunday i am slamming pedals a bit less... the revolt does not get "stuck down" in its travel like my sunday would. especially around rough corners our hard g-out style berms.

and i am currently loving the 13.7 bb and slightly slacker than 63 head angle :busted: