Quantcast

2009 EVIL Revolt: T-minus 10... 9... 8...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so ive gotten it pretty much put together. im waiting on my Thomson seatpost and i need to pick up my new Elixr CR's that just came in. im using my Hayes temporarily until Saturday night.
im going to have to flip the flip chips to the high BB/steep position since im using my older 170mm Diabolous cranks

'08 888 ATA
'10 RC4 WC
Deity Dirt30 bars
Hayes Mag HD's/ Avid Elixr CR's
Sram X0 gripshift
Sram X7 der.
Sram 11-34t casette
Sram PC951 chain
E-13 36t chainring
MRP Mini-G chainguide
Sun Ringle MTX rims w/ Hadley 36h f&r hubs (2 sets)
Sunline V1 saddle
Thomson seatpost

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
Right, ive had enough of this, ive officially decided that i MUST have a Revolt.

And here is my new To Do list:

Break my session.(by treks definition, as if its not ragged already)
Waranty it.
Rip some mug off by selling it for like, £1800
Pull £500 out of my arse.

Buy a revolt.
Live happily ever after.
until the next big hyped frame comes along..

new demo for instance

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Quick Q for DW and crew (and if history is any indication, DW will have an extensive response): why no floating brake?

Sorry if I missed it already. Thread is way too long to dig through.
To keep it simple, based on past experience and through testing with a few "mules" over the years, I didn't really feel that the benefits were great enough to justify the added cost, weight, and complexity. Instead, I was REALLY careful about where I put that main pivot. In my opinion, the benefits of optimizing for acceleration performance far outweigh the benefits of optimizing for braking performance, so I concentrated my efforts there first, with a mindful eye on what impact my choices had on braking.

cue 1 month of interweb banter on the subject.....

NOW!

;)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
until the next big hyped frame comes along..

new demo for instance
I'd love to see the side by side, same day, same trails, same wheels, same tires, same rider comparison of this bike vs. whatever. I'd put the Revolt up there against anything I've ever ridden without hesitation. It's pretty tough to find a total POS DH bike at this point.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
...and no, the little bolt hole on the left side BB cannot be used to mount a brake therapy kit :biggrin:

-ska todd

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
I'd love to see the side by side, same day, same trails, same wheels, same tires, same rider comparison of this bike vs. whatever. I'd put the Revolt up there against anything I've ever ridden without hesitation. It's pretty tough to find a total POS DH bike at this point.
hes riding a session 88 at the moment, and a glory before.. seems to be he just enjoys having the latest and coolest

which is what my comment was for, i think the frame looks incredible and would love to ride one for a week but its out of my price range unfortunately

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Troll much?

This is the first I've heard of any cracking and I've heard about a few of the development issues that have been overcome.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Troll much?

This is the first I've heard of any cracking and I've heard about a few of the development issues that have been overcome.
read this jokers other posts... pure gold

maybe one cracked... maybe it didn't

either way this guy is full of constant BS

May 16, 2008
I actually really like the new evil. Super smooth bike but I know a local shop owner that had one that cracked where the seat tube meets the top tube.

No need to get defensive about your fav. bike I was just asking if anyone else had one that cracked , probably just a one off.

but yeah the new boxxers do suck hehe

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I actually really like the new evil. Super smooth bike but I know a local shop owner that had one that cracked where the seat tube meets the top tube.

No need to get defensive about your fav. bike I was just asking if anyone else had one that cracked , probably just a one off.

but yeah the new boxxers do suck hehe
So the bike's barely been out a month and you've already ridden it enough to know that' it's a super smooth bike but you know the one (phantom) guy who's already cracked it? :ban:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thats what makes it so weird. ....to be fair though, the RS7 is very quiet for a Foes. my DHS is super loud

the only noise it was making was the seat buzzing the tire. the 400# spring on the RC4 is way too soft for me. im going to try a 500# but i can only find a 3.19" spring instead of a 3.25" that it came with.
is that going to be a problem?

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
thats what makes it so weird. ....to be fair though, the RS7 is very quiet for a Foes. my DHS is super loud

the only noise it was making was the seat buzzing the tire. the 400# spring on the RC4 is way too soft for me. im going to try a 500# but i can only find a 3.19" spring instead of a 3.25" that it came with.
is that going to be a problem?
should be OK

fox lists the the travel it takes for their springs to bind on the side of the spring, whereas other companies put the intended shock stroke they are designed for.

either way, if it says 3.19 it will be fine on a 3" stroke shock

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
should be OK

fox lists the the travel it takes for their springs to bind on the side of the spring, whereas other companies put the intended shock stroke they are designed for.

either way, if it says 3.19 it will be fine on a 3" stroke shock
yeah i didnt think .06" should matter with spring binding, but just wanted to make sure.
my buddy has a 550#x 3.25" but i think that might way too heavy. im glad the shock didnt come with the 350# like Todd had mentioned because finding the right spring would have been even more of a PITA.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
btw if any geek cares. mine is 44.4lbs w/ very heavy and long cranks on it.
i think the frame was around 10.75-11lbs w/ shock

the weight isnt that noticeable at all. it was super easy to whip around and man-handle

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
btw if any geek cares. mine is 44.4lbs w/ very heavy and long cranks on it.
i think the frame was around 10.75-11lbs w/ shock

the weight isnt that noticeable at all. it was super easy to whip around and man-handle
sounds like a solid build kit... and frame weight is all carried low which helps give a light feel when cornering, etc.

mine built to 39, and todd's is 41 with nothing "lightweight" on either.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the 170mm Diabolous cranks were smashing everything w/ the low BB setting and soft spring. when i get back from France, ill get some 165mm's

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive got one complaint about the bike.

it seems DW didnt do his wind tunnel testing because my bike seems to create more drag on my roof rack than my other bikes. kinematic schmatics...wind tunnel testing is where its at :bonk:....this is just e-speculation btw.

Last edited:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
ive got one complaint about the bike.

it seems DW didnt do his wind tunnel testing because my bike seems to create more drag on my roof rack than my other bikes. kinematic schmatics...wind tunnel testing is where its at :bonk:....this is just e-speculation btw.
Actually, I just did the kinematics (suspension layout) and the baseline geometry set for the bike. I also helped with some Industrial design in the very beginning, but I didn't do any of the structural design. You're going to have to find someone else to blame for that one.. ;) hah

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I didn't really feel that the benefits were great enough to justify the added cost, weight, and complexity.
As a DHR fan I completely agree, but I was surprised since your other designs place a premium on braking performance. Between the three, you've now got a pretty complete portfolio for the different riding styles out there...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i didnt really notice any brake jack what so ever when i was riding. there was some, yes, but nothing that hindered my riding. the bike seemed to accelerate over the bumps which is something im not used to.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
so ive gotten it pretty much put together. im waiting on my Thomson seatpost and i need to pick up my new Elixr CR's that just came in. im using my Hayes temporarily until Saturday night.
im going to have to flip the flip chips to the high BB/steep position since im using my older 170mm Diabolous cranks

'08 888 ATA
'10 RC4 WC
Deity Dirt30 bars
Avid Elixr CR's
Sram X0 gripshift
Sram X7 der.
Sram 11-34t casette
Sram PC951 chain
E-13 36t chainring
MRP Mini-G chainguide
Sun Ringle MTX rims w/ Hadley 36h f&r hubs (2 sets)
Sunline V1 saddle
Thomson seatpost
had to take my bike apart.......but heres the pic i posted before seatpost and Elixr CR's